Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver, don't get it.

Vancouver, don't get it.

Old May 28th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver, don't get it.

Originally Posted by dbd33
So we went to Vancouver. A city with a fantastic setting but a built environment akin to a high rise council estate (or scheme if you're from Scotland).
Isolated areas. Downtown, maybe; there are a lot of 60s 'concrete block' condos in the West End. But its not all like that. Besides, any major city which went through a boom in population over a short period of time has the 'concrete block' housing because it was cheap and high-density.

Transit seemed expensive and doesn't well serve great chunks of the town, food seemed expensive,
Can't really argue with either of those... but I guess Van is a growing city, and the transit will only get better. That said, if you use buses rather than skytrain, there aren't many places you can't access easily. That said, there is a section of the underground, between Leicester Square and Covent Garden which is something around 300m and costs you £2.30.

It's not a town with much of a social scene so we're told people stay at home and watch TV, it's in Canada so the TV's not very good.
With all due respect, this is completely innaccurate. Granted, I did think the same thing, but get out of downtown and you'll start to see real Vancouver. Hit up some of the bars on Main Street and the top end of Commerical Drive and then tell me it doesn't have a social scene. Downtown is crap, generic and overrated, but Main Street is eclectic, funky and interesting. If you think Van has a crap social scene, you're just looking in the wrong places.

It rains a lot but it doesn't snow to speak of
But it also has awesome summers... which England does not. And besides, having Whistler 1.5hrs away trumps any argument anyone can have about the weather in winter. No, its not cheap, but then neither is a Bugatti Veyron; doesn't mean its not worth the money

G'won tell me what me missed, why would anyone live in say, Kitsilano, when for that money, they could afford to live in Camden Town?
They wouldn't. But you would pay less to live on Main Street and then not have to worry about getting your bag jacked on the way home from a night out.

I think what you need to appreciate is that Vancouver is a very transient city which appeals largely to 20-40 year olds. A lot of people come to Vancouver from the smaller cities in the Okanagan and on the island. Then when they get to an age where they want to have children and live in a house rather than a condo, they move back out either to their hometown or to the outskirts of Vancouver.

You need to decide what you would want - the city life, or the three bedroom detached house life.

Last edited by kswoosh; May 28th 2012 at 4:00 pm.
Old May 28th 2012, 3:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Price of a single ticket for the bus:

London £2.30
Toronto $3.00
Vancouver $2.50.

West 4th? West Broadway?
OK, I concede the bus to be reasonably priced.

Not sure about West Broadway but I don't think there's a lot on West 4th, at least not in the general area of Larch. I suppose we didn't walk the whole length of street so I'm quite dependent on the residents' opinion that "there's nothing much around here, not for shopping or going out". It's nice, very nice, but I expected somewhere like the Beach or Leslieville in Toronto rather than Oakville West. I don't think I'd want to live there without having a car.

Everything depends, of course, on expectation. To me, the case for Canada as an immigrant is twofold:

- political stability

- ability to have more stuff than at home

I don't think Vancouver works as a destination because it fails on the second point.
Old May 28th 2012, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Everything depends, of course, on expectation. To me, the case for Canada as an immigrant is twofold:

- political stability

I don't think Vancouver works as a destination because it fails on the second point.
You move to Canada because its roughly a zillion times nicer than England.

If you don't think this to be the case, then there's not much point in entertaining the idea of coming.

I do understand your concerns though, it took me a good 9 months to fall in love with it, and then another 9 months to find my 'niche' and love it even more. Now, after 18 months of being here; I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.
Old May 28th 2012, 4:06 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
Commercial has not commercialized. There is a Starbucks but that has been there for years. If anything it is more lively there, what with the foot traffic from skytrain and the extension of licensed hours. There must be easily over a 100 bars and eateries along the drag.

Real gem of vancouver even with the counter culture types
sorry d but Commercial is changing...
Old May 28th 2012, 4:07 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

So we went to Vancouver. I suppose that counts as a benign climate, rather like New Zealand. It seemed to us that one may as well be damp and bored in New Zealand and have cheap sheep.
having spent significant amounts of time in both places - Vancouver is nothing like NZ and vice versa. Van's better (imo).
Old May 28th 2012, 4:11 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I concede the bus to be reasonably priced.

Not sure about West Broadway but I don't think there's a lot on West 4th, at least not in the general area of Larch. I suppose we didn't walk the whole length of street so I'm quite dependent on the residents' opinion that "there's nothing much around here, not for shopping or going out". It's nice, very nice, but I expected somewhere like the Beach or Leslieville in Toronto rather than Oakville West. I don't think I'd want to live there without having a car.

- political stability

I think when I first moved to Kits it probably held up on the second point. In 2000 I was being paid around $65K and a nice condo in the heart of Kits cost me not much over $200K. I recall having a decent amount of spare cash (at least enough to finance a number of dodgy cars). Were I to move back - salary would be prob be around $100K (or less) and the same condo over $600K.
Old May 28th 2012, 4:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... To me, the case for Canada as an immigrant is twofold:

- political stability

For me it was:

- to live in the mountains by the sea
- to live in a fusion of Western and Asian cultures.

and Vancouver delivered.
Old May 28th 2012, 5:12 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
sorry d but Commercial is changing...
Really, seemed the same to me. My buddy's friend owns the timbre....that was close to year ago though.
Old May 28th 2012, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Boy d
Really, seemed the same to me. My buddy's friend owns the timbre....that was close to year ago though.
believe it or not..it has changed a lot in teh past year.

there are fewer and fewer of the original portuguese/old italian businesses..it is getting trendy
Old May 28th 2012, 5:24 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I think when I first moved to Kits it probably held up on the second point. In 2000 I was being paid around $65K and a nice condo in the heart of Kits cost me not much over $200K. I recall having a decent amount of spare cash (at least enough to finance a number of dodgy cars). Were I to move back - salary would be prob be around $100K (or less) and the same condo over $600K.
This is true and makes me wonder if it is worth it. My old condo bought in 1996 for about 170 is now worth about 600 k....nuts. The ex got it

I too had more buying power on a significantly lower salary....
Old May 28th 2012, 5:42 pm
Banned

there are fewer and fewer of the original portuguese/old italian businesses..it is getting trendy
Oh...is that commercializing though....to me that means burger king, cactus club and Boston pizza....etc
Old May 28th 2012, 5:43 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

People are getting priced out East more and more these days so the "gentrification" is well under way.

It still makes me cringe when you look at Realtor.ca. You put in a $1M max price and there's a VERY obvious divide (houses) between east and west with Main or Fraser being the border.
Old May 28th 2012, 5:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

As I heard it

Q what is the quickest way from the Westside to the Eastside?
A Invest in Nortel.
Old May 28th 2012, 7:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As I heard it

Q what is the quickest way from the Westside to the Eastside?
A Invest in Nortel.
Calgary police took over the nortel building.....swankiest polic station I have ever been in!
Old May 28th 2012, 7:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by el_richo
People are getting priced out East more and more these days so the "gentrification" is well under way.

It still makes me cringe when you look at Realtor.ca. You put in a $1M max price and there's a VERY obvious divide (houses) between east and west with Main or Fraser being the border.
The next area will be around the dtes...which has/is changing at a remarkable pace. 5 years or so and the place will be very different I suspect.

I really wish some sanity would return and I can one day live in my beloved kits, regardless of what dbd may think if the Place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.