Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver BC – What’s it really like?

Vancouver BC – What’s it really like?

Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver BC – What’s it really like?

Also, if anyone has any other useful websites such as, Banks, Job Sites (my partner will need to look for a job), Rentals or anything else that might be helpful.

Thanks.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) for info on all of that kind of stuff - there is a very good section on Job Hunting which should help your partner,plus info on banks, doctors, etc and even a list of things to do before you leave!

Good luck.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
Interesting that the first response was from someone who lives on the other side of the country from Vancouver, so must be an expert, right?
Do read the question. It called called for a response comparing Canada and the USA. I am likely as well informed on that topic as anyone else who lives in one country with a national of the other and, despite residing in one, makes a living in the other.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:16 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do read the question. It called called for a response comparing Canada and the USA. I am likely as well informed on that topic as anyone else who lives in one country with a national of the other and, despite residing in one, makes a living in the other.
Oooh look at him.

Well actually you sure gave me an edumacation on the topic, and I have to admit mostly what you say of the comparison is true. The level of rural retardation in both countries is probably about equal. /etc

Canada=Amerika Lite.
That would be a good thing. Even better if it was Amerika-free but that's never gonna happen now the NWO has taken economic and social control over the past 20 years.

R.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007

Canada=Amerika Lite.
That would be a good thing.
Already the case, is it not?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:53 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Already the case, is it not?
Yes, indeed.

In my current low-caffeine state, that's what I was mumbling about. I should have used the present tense for your pleasure.

R.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

It's just great. But ssshhhh, don't tell anyone.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Polar Bear will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Also, if anyone has any other useful websites such as, Banks, Job Sites (my partner will need to look for a job), Rentals or anything else that might be helpful.

Thanks.
You could try Remax for rentals http://www.remax.ca/ and monster.ca for work
Old Aug 20th 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Check out craigslist for rentals it has the biggest list across the widest area in my opinion also the might be a little cheaper because rental agents aren't normally involved.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 5:27 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're renting don't sign up for more than a month contract on anywhere until you've arrived.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

My wife and I immigrated to Canada from Australia just over a year ago now and spent most of that time in Vancouver so here are my 2 cents.

For rentals I agree that craigslist will give you a good idea though I wouldn't suggest you rent anything until you have arrived and can view properties, and watch out for 'Nigerian' type scams.

I also agree that Canada and US are not that dissimilar, but really there is not a gigantic difference between Australian and Canadian standards of living either - except for the climate of course.

Be prepared for lots of damp weather, not much rain more a constant drizzle, during winter you may get a couple of weeks with snow on the ground but a good dump is often gone within a couple of days.

Car insurance is sky high versus Oz so be sure to bring a letter from your car insurer confirming your # years of no claims to help soften the blow as well as a copy of your driving history to help you get a licence.

Vancouver is very multicultural with large asian communities, I personally was not very impressed with its public transport but that would depend on exactly where you lived of course.

Jobs may be OK depending on what your other half is looking for. Lots and lots of semiskilled to unskilled type jobs but note that Vancouver is not really a corporate centre (Toronto or Calgary have the most corporate head offices) if you're looking for really good law, accounting and finance type roles. Ultimately that and the high cost of living is what prompted me to move from Vancouver to Calgary but in your situation its a non-issue I'd think.

I'd just go for it if you have an easy opportunity to experience Vancouver for a year or two on a work visa - but I'd focus on the pros and cons of having the experience of living/working in another country versus maybe getting more 'setup' financially at home or what-ever, then I would be worried about rent etc etc in Vancouver when making your decision.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:49 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

"The same but colder" - yeah, that really describes the whole of Canada in comparison to the US. Sure.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Polar Bear will become famous soon enough

"The same but colder" - yeah, that really describes the whole of Canada in comparison to the US. Sure.
lol
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I'll expand on that a little then. Most people in the US and Canada live in tract housing, suburban developments as described in the Talking Heads song "Big Country". Most people depend on their cars to get to work, to the shops, for almost everything; accordingly most households have multiple vehicles. Religion is important in the US and Canada in a way it no longer is in the UK, it's common for people to attend places of worship and fringe groups; Mennonites in ON, Mormons in UT, polygamist-Mormons in BC, Amish in PA are tolerated and/or have influence in a manner not seen in the UK since the reign of Henry VIII. Guns, both legal and illegal, are common in the US and Canada in a way only Switzerland of the European countries can match. Television and radio in the US and Canada are dominated by advertisements interspersed by US programming. The major manufacturing industry in the US and Canada is automobiles, this industry is in difficulty due to globalization and the trade agreements between the US, Canada and Mexico. Canadians live toward the northern edge of the US, though more Americans live in America north of Toronto than do Canadians in Canada, generally then Canada is thought of as being colder. In the US and Canada local economies boom and bust with the fashion for extracting raw materials, Alberta and Colorado are currently experiencing booms, both have previously experienced busts. Canada and the US have large immigrant populations and many languages in common use, public signage in either is typically in multiple languages. Canada and the US are engaged in foreign wars in support of a common, though unclear, aim. Canadians and Americans tend to obesity due in part to a diet of fast food. Farming is important in the US and Canada, both crops and livestock, neither is conducted to the ethical standards typical in Europe.

In short, very much like each other, dropped in most of the US or Canada you'd be able to tell which you were in only by the licence plates.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:15 pm
Lotus-eater

^^^ sadly his wisdom is wasted on witless fools dreaming of an escape from the Underground to a land of big houses and snow mobiles.

R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.