Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

vancouver advise.for people wanting to move here

vancouver advise.for people wanting to move here

Old Dec 28th 2004, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: vancouver advise.for people wanting to move here

There was a comment a while back about the RCMP only showing a "white" face - or something along those lines. I see lots of news reports where the RCMP are First Nations. We also have quite a few First Nations police in Regina. I don't know about other cities of course.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 2:43 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Out of curiosity, what were your expectations? You stepped off the plane in the UK with a single preconception of what the country would be like?
I actually tried not to have expectations. Seeing things without expectation is something I do for a living (that probably sounds weird but...).

Canada shows a "white" face to the world nothing more than that ... that's my interpretation for what its worth.
I don't get that impression at all.

Maybe we can get back to talking about issues regarding Canadian lifestyle?
This topic is completely about Canadian lifestyle.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 3:08 pm

I asked a serious question earlier ... are there really no non-european mounties?

I've never seen a photo of a mountie who wasn't obviously european.
Well if you're saying that the Dudley Do-Right stereotyped, iconic imagery of a Mountie is what some people are basing their expectations of Canadian society on they are going to be surprised by all the women, short people, un-fit people, disabled people, etc... A Mountie represents nothing about Canadian society anymore than Mickey Mouse represents anything about American society.

There are many non-European Mounties.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
A Mountie represents nothing about Canadian society anymore than Mickey Mouse represents anything about American society.
Actually, that's not entirely true but I don't want to get into it.

My point is there is the imagery of a Mountie (which is actually trademarked) and there are real RCMPs. Real life RCMPs are more reflective of Canadian society but really neither should be used as a cultural snapshot of Canadian society.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 3:57 pm
Glaswegian

I actually tried not to have expectations. Seeing things without expectation is something I do for a living (that probably sounds weird but...).
Most people emigrating to Canada don't have that luxury ... 99% of people arriving here have very high expectations and a stack of preconceptions ... that's usually why they're emigrating ... many expect Canada to be a paradise free from the problems and complexity of the rest of the world.

I don't get that impression at all.
I can live with that ...

This topic is completely about Canadian lifestyle.
You're also welcome to your view ...

There's a winter wonderland beyond my back yard ... I'm off to play in it.

Old Dec 28th 2004, 4:11 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by lizwil98
There was a comment a while back about the RCMP only showing a "white" face - or something along those lines. I see lots of news reports where the RCMP are First Nations. We also have quite a few First Nations police in Regina. I don't know about other cities of course.
I was guilty of that one ... this is one of those sprawling threads that took on a life of its own ... Calgary is obviously different from Regina, the RCMP you see here are very european ... there are some threads you really regret posting on, this is becoming one of them.

For anyone coming to Canada:
1) Canada is multi-cultural and always has been
2) If you can't live with that and still want to come here, the ethnic makeup varies from city to city ... take a look at the Stats Canada website ... you can get the breakdown of the ethnic mix of most major towns & cities ... it's a big country and there's plenty of space to accomodate everyone's pecularities
3) A tip ... you find the biggest ethnic diversity in the biggest cities ... if you only want to live beside "white, English" people, look to the smaller towns
4) Another tip ... if you ever move in next door to me, don't try and drag me into any "little England" conversations or complain about "foreign" immigrants ... I'm a immigrant and I'm very happy to live somewhere that sort of attitude just isn't acceptable

I've wasted enough time on this already, I'm off to enjoy life in Canada

Old Dec 28th 2004, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

After three years of living in Canada, I would be too ... England is a different issue ... there are elements of society that detest everything non-English ... that includes the Irish, Scots & Welsh ... I find it amusing that Canadians don't see the divisions in the UK ... nobody has called me a Jock in three years and I'm getting to like it.
Interesting. I do not in the least think that some parts of the English society are all that outward looking, especially those that do not appreciate travel in the sense that it should be a cultural experience - not an excuse to get pissed and abusive to the locals. You only have to watch the shell suited families head straight for the 'English' food area in Wallmart to get the general idea of what is deemed as being abroad but I have to say I have had the same experience in Wales and Scotland as you had in England. Not being made welcome even though I smiled and was as polite as anyone could be. Maybe the people I bumped into had had your experience from someone English. But that should be no excuse. There are all types everywhere.

Oddly even though some may think I am one of them the more you read comments on the forum from certain quarters the more you realise that emigrating is not for everyone. Especially if you keep flying your own countries flag from the shoulder where ever that may be from.

Surely going to another country no matter where or for how long is about a cultural and lifestyle change that should enrich your knowledge of the world.

Last edited by SANDRAPAUL; Dec 28th 2004 at 4:30 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

siv04 is on a distinguished road

When I saw this title I was hoping that I'll read some useful info about Vancouver but I found 6 pages of almost ... nothing
Old Dec 28th 2004, 6:12 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siv04
When I saw this title I was hoping that I'll read some useful info about Vancouver but I found 6 pages of almost ... nothing
Welcome to this forum Sometimes is like this, but this thread is particularly long and bad and should have died somewhere around page 2!

On the other hand sometimes there is a wealth of good information in a thread with a very unpromising title, so it pays to get good at using the advanced search features, either that or read every thread, which would be really bad for your sanity! :scared:
Old Dec 28th 2004, 7:44 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by siv04
I admit guilt to some of it ... there are pages and pages of utter drivel in these threads ... but sometimes there's the odd gem ... you just have to dig hard.

Old Dec 28th 2004, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I admit guilt to some of it ... there are pages and pages of utter drivel in these threads ... but sometimes there's the odd gem ... you just have to dig hard.
And the "odd gems" would be your messages of course
Old Dec 28th 2004, 8:31 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

And yours, of course, sweetie.

Originally Posted by willmore
And the "odd gems" would be your messages of course
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:02 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Kill the thread, kill the thread!!!

I did try to divert it with a discussion on the correct spelling of whisky ..... came close but no banana!!!

You'll note that the original poster has long gone.....if she's any sense at all, she stopped reading it eons ago, and everyone has just been ranting to eachother willy-nilly!
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=Morwenna]Kill the thread, kill the thread!!!

I did try to divert it with a discussion on the correct spelling of whisky ..... came close but no banana!!!

that's true -close but no banana - but I did learn something about Scottish whisky and Canadian whiskey.....so just that makes the thread worthwhile...I think you were the one to tell me that the Canadian Club your mil bought you spelled it whisky.....I checked my parents bottle and it was whiskey.....go figure......
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:18 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

So who has the bootleg bottle...?

Originally Posted by willmore
that's true -close but no banana - but I did learn something about Scottish whisky and Canadian whiskey.....so just that makes the thread worthwhile...I think you were the one to tell me that the Canadian Club your mil bought you spelled it whisky.....I checked my parents bottle and it was whiskey.....go figure......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.