Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

vancouver advise.for people wanting to move here

vancouver advise.for people wanting to move here

Old Dec 24th 2004, 5:01 am
beverley smith

bevjohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vancouver advise.for people wanting to move here

hi there, i have been in vancouver for 4 months now, and to be honest its not the place for me, thats why we are moving to calgary, first of all i cannot get a decent job i have been applying for jobs in calgary on the net and i have had 2 great responces on this i think really calgary is the place to go , vancouver is a great city dont get me wrong, but really there are too many chinese over here, more than one you exspect, you feel like you are the foreigner which i know i am but believe after a while it does get you down, if i know what i know now vancouver is not the best place on this earth , ok for the mountains ocean and decent weather but apart from that there is nothing that special about it, its getting dirtier and the people are really unfriendly here, if you really want to live somewhere move away from the city maybe somewhere smaller anyway dont want to sound a miserable person but just wanted to share my own expereience with you, put ot this way if it were not for my partner having a skill trade i dont know what we would be doing for money work and a roof over my head any info please email direct [email protected]

happy christmas

bev

Last edited by bevjohn; Dec 24th 2004 at 5:10 am.
Old Dec 24th 2004, 3:19 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: vancouver advise.for people wanting to move here

Originally Posted by bevjohn
vancouver is a great city dont get me wrong, but really there are too many chinese over here, more than one you exspect, you feel like you are the foreigner which i know i am but believe after a while it does get you down,

happy christmas

bev
In the spirit of the holiday season, I'm going to refrain from letting you know just how precisely ignorant and arrogant I find your comments.
Old Dec 24th 2004, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
In the spirit of the holiday season, I'm going to refrain from letting you know just how precisely ignorant and arrogant I find your comments.
I agree. What an incredible racist message to leave at any time, but especially during the holiday season. Do you realize that many of those asian folks have lived in Canada for more generations then my family, I'm only 2nd generation Canadian.....
Old Dec 24th 2004, 3:36 pm
Velouria

if you feel like such a foreigner, than perhaps multi-cultural canada is not for you.

Old Dec 24th 2004, 3:53 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

There are even more Chinese in Calgary, they're just in hiding waiting for you to move there before they pop up and ruin everything for you.
Old Dec 24th 2004, 8:01 pm
beverley smith

Talking Re: vancouver advise.for people wanting to move here

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
There are even more Chinese in Calgary, they're just in hiding waiting for you to move there before they pop up and ruin everything for you.
i do apologise but i dont find this racist at all, its just how i feel when you are not use to all the different people it can be quite a eye opener, i have friends that are east indian and chinese, and they are really nice people , people in this forum have taken it the wrong way, i am just letting people know, what it is like canada is a place of immigrants but there is more than what people let on thanks and like i said i am sorry if i offended anyone. thanks and merry christmas
Old Dec 25th 2004, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

ella69 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Calgary and I have heard people moaning that they have been unable to acquire work.. I also believe it depends on your line of work and luck and also God. If you are in the O & G industry, then you are in luck
It is a pity that you made such a comment about the chinese...in Calgary there are still alot of chinese etc there are less blacks...but we get along perfectly.
I can only say good luck when moving to Calgary
What is your area of work,,,Drop me a PM
Old Dec 25th 2004, 10:01 pm
beverley smith

Originally Posted by ella69
I live in Calgary and I have heard people moaning that they have been unable to acquire work.. I also believe it depends on your line of work and luck and also God. If you are in the O & G industry, then you are in luck
It is a pity that you made such a comment about the chinese...in Calgary there are still alot of chinese etc there are less blacks...but we get along perfectly.
I can only say good luck when moving to Calgary
What is your area of work,,,Drop me a PM
hi there thanks for that my line of work is callcentre dont know if you knwo of any one thats hiring we are leaving vancouver on tuesday for calggary maybe we could get together as i dont know anyone there email be at [email protected]
Old Dec 25th 2004, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you get a job first and then move?
You might get stuck in Calgary without the job you're hoping for.
Old Dec 26th 2004, 1:29 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Why don't you get a job first and then move?
You might get stuck in Calgary without the job you're hoping for.
A lot of employers wont look at a resume unless its "local", so sometimes you just have to take the chance and move, and then try and land the job. This is especially true of lower level / unskilled jobs unfortunately. Supply and Demand I guess.
Old Dec 26th 2004, 7:18 am
beverley smith

Originally Posted by iaink
A lot of employers wont look at a resume unless its "local", so sometimes you just have to take the chance and move, and then try and land the job. This is especially true of lower level / unskilled jobs unfortunately. Supply and Demand I guess.
hi thanks for the advise my partner is a machinist and he already has a job lined up and me i have already had a final interview as well, so the hope of calgary seems to be the best way forward, any way happy new year
Old Dec 26th 2004, 3:21 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

canada is a place of immigrants but there is more than what people let on
You really don’t get it do you?
Old Dec 26th 2004, 3:34 pm
beverley smith

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
You really don’t get it do you?
get what
Old Dec 26th 2004, 4:01 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Hehehehe ... Calgary's Chinatown is great ... Chinese shop signs, Chinese street signs, Chinese bank clerks who can't understand Scottish accents ... Dragon City Mall has a huge top floor restaurant with a fantastic buffet, well worth a visit ... but, there will be *ahem* Chinese people there

Old Dec 26th 2004, 4:15 pm
Glaswegian

get what
I guess this thread is going down the line of the way Brits look at Canada ... some expats are disappointed when they find Canada isn't more "white and British" ... after the big post-WWII and 1960's influx, Brits have only made up a few percent of immigrants in recent years ... from now on, expect to be in the minority.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.