Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver 56th best place to live in Canada

Vancouver 56th best place to live in Canada

Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver 56th best place to live in Canada

Originally Posted by Boy d
As for poverty, it's not different than any other city. Its just more visible as many of vancouver's services are largely in one area (the down town east side - which happens to be right in the heart of the city). Vancouver is brutally honest in that regard, choosing not to hide it as in other places. There are 14social housing support buildings that will be on line in the next 3 years, providing 1400 beds.
I'm puzzled by the idea of other cities hiding their poverty. I would have thought the classic north american city had a central business district, which is shiny and abandoned on weekends, a surrounding doughnut of decay and then affluent suburbs. Someone travelling into the centre of Detroit, say, would be unlikely not to notice the poverty. Which cities hide the poor, how do they do that?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:10 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm puzzled by the idea of other cities hiding their poverty. I would have thought the classic north american city had a central business district, which is shiny and abandoned on weekends, a surrounding doughnut of decay and then affluent suburbs. Someone travelling into the centre of Detroit, say, would be unlikely not to notice the poverty. Which cities hide the poor, how do they do that?
Ottawa is a bit like that. The serious poverty is right downtown, with homeless shelters and beggars rubbing shoulders with embassies, boutiques and resturants. The homeless on King Edward seem to have been told very plainly by the cops just how far they can go into the Byward Market (basically, not at all).
Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Ottawa is a bit like that. The serious poverty is right downtown, with homeless shelters and beggars rubbing shoulders with embassies, boutiques and resturants.
Toronto too. A homeless person in Moss Park could probably hit La Maquette with a well aimed stream of piss. I can't think of a city where the poor are neatly packed away.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:26 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps hide was the wrong word rather its a case of the nature of the dtes here is not hidden and very noticable. I doubt there are few areas like it in the west.

There is a brutal honesty about the poverty and the state of the dtes in Vancouver.

Point i was making that the down town east side, which is astonishingly visual as far as poverty goes, is that way, since over the past 4 decades, there has been a tenancy to bunch all services in essentially a four block area: the police station, court house, probation, city jail, salvation army, SRO's (cheap hotels), mental health, detox, Native women's services, Pivot.....and so on and on it goes. The area has become an unintended ghetto, where many of the less fortunate live and access services in one area. The city is limiting, are at least trying, to find balance with gentrification of the area. I dont think many cities approach poverty in this nature, and services tend to be better dispersed and certainly not in the centre of the city next to the shiny bits where business men work and tourists play. During the olympics the city was very open with the media and the problems the area faces.

You really have to see the area and understand why it is the way it is to appreciate the point i am trying to make.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Boy d
You really have to see the area and understand why it is the way it is to appreciate the point i am trying to make.
Well, we'll be there soon enough and I'm sure some misery tourism is on the cards. Still, while I imagine the relative warmth of Vancouver brings in the poor from a wider area than would be drawn to rust belt cities, I'd be surprised if Vancouver was as rough as, say, Buffalo. I find it hard to think that the degree of poverty is shocking, homeless starving addicts are ten a penny in any Canadian city, nevermind on reservations, but I'm ready to have my eyes opened, maybe Vancouver is nastier than Gary IN or North Las Vegas. If it is I suppose I'll be done for and won't report.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:02 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we'll be there soon enough and I'm sure some misery tourism is on the cards. Still, while I imagine the relative warmth of Vancouver brings in the poor from a wider area than would be drawn to rust belt cities, I'd be surprised if Vancouver was as rough as, say, Buffalo. I find it hard to think that the degree of poverty is shocking, homeless starving addicts are ten a penny in any Canadian city, nevermind on reservations, but I'm ready to have my eyes opened, maybe Vancouver is nastier than Gary IN or North Las Vegas. If it is I suppose I'll be done for and won't report.
Yes you are right. Other than the area I noted, visible poverty is predictable, I've seen much worse, even in the uk, but especially the US. I am speaking specifically about the down towns east side. It's like all the city's ills were corralled into a few blocks.....very depressing area.

I suspect the milder climate also plays some part.....
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:09 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Richard, makes sense.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:57 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Richard, makes sense.
Why, thank you. I've been trying to convince people of that for years.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:35 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Why, thank you. I've been trying to convince people of that for years.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of

You know, the Dtes was my favourite place in Vancouver. For culture, meaning music, bars, galleries it is a gem. I made so many friends in that area, brilliant, generous people (I'm not a drinker or drugs user). Once the initial shock of the 'Living Dead' vibe subsides you find the most vibrant area of Vancouver. Yes, it can be sleazy but if you want a decent slice of life I recommend the Dtes.

With regards to the Olympics though, Van was not honest. I had a senior role up to and around the Olympics and quite frankly the City, Government and VANOC tried to hide the Dtes. I saw VANOC representatives urging tourists to not go down to the Dtes during the games. Myself with an English accent was advised to leave. I took a group of VIPs there 'off the clock' and they had a ball.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by richardm123
You know, the Dtes was my favourite place in Vancouver. For culture, meaning music, bars, galleries it is a gem. I made so many friends in that area, brilliant, generous people (I'm not a drinker or drugs user). Once the initial shock of the 'Living Dead' vibe subsides you find the most vibrant area of Vancouver. Yes, it can be sleazy but if you want a decent slice of life I recommend the Dtes.

With regards to the Olympics though, Van was not honest. I had a senior role up to and around the Olympics and quite frankly the City, Government and VANOC tried to hide the Dtes. I saw VANOC representatives urging tourists to not go down to the Dtes during the games. Myself with an English accent was advised to leave. I took a group of VIPs there 'off the clock' and they had a ball.

Yes I agree, it's easy to forget that there is a decent side to the place, funny though how you seem to treat the place as though it is not Vancouver and some place else.....it was the original part of the city you know and is still very much part of vancouvers identity.....

It's one thing to warn people to be careful....they were very open. Even setting up a media centre there, demos fractions were allowed to happen....etc
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of

To me it is Vancouver, I own a couple of beautiful original photos of the Dtes from the 60's by Fred Herzog. http://www.equinoxgallery.com/artist...io/fred-herzog

Apologies if I was not clear, to me it is the heart and soul.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by richardm123
To me it is Vancouver, I own a couple of beautiful original photos of the Dtes from the 60's by Fred Herzog. http://www.equinoxgallery.com/artist...io/fred-herzog

Apologies if I was not clear, to me it is the heart and soul.
Funnily I've said the same my self and I agree.

there was a show on recently of Fred's work.....I love the old ones of Granville and china town
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:46 pm

I also agree Richard.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

Ha, Burlington second? It's so dull!

Pish, I'd put Sept Iles before Burlington. Loads of adventure to be had in the northern towns.