Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver 56th best place to live in Canada

Vancouver 56th best place to live in Canada

Old Mar 24th 2012, 7:55 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of
Default Re: Vancouver 56th best place to live in Canada

Originally Posted by Oink
Are you thinking of moving to Australia?
No my dear friend, why would I? I have 2 BBQ a year, no matter what the weather is like and burn most of it...would you consider moving there? I would rather live in Newcastle Under Lyne than Newcastle Oz. Not somewhere that trips my switch.

As I understand it, more folk are returning from Oz than going. Not sure what the problem is, expense, bugs, who knows, I know it is just not my bag.

Last edited by fletcher m; Mar 24th 2012 at 8:15 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
No my dear friend, why would I. Thought I would tidy that up.
By your own admission you share their philosophical leanings.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:18 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

By your own admission you share their philosophical leanings.
You have lost me with your big words, ever heard of KISS -

keep it simple stupid
Old Mar 24th 2012, 11:37 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Who gives a crap about culture, give me a job over culture anyday...i live in York, here we do have culture, I have enjoyed it and hundreds of thousands come every year to York to get it, but it don't pay my bills.

What do aussies call culture?

Yoghurt.
I agree, but one feels the need to set the record straight. Love York by the way.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of

www.nofuncity.org
Old Mar 25th 2012, 3:40 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardm123
Jeez but you are becoming a tedious bore.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 3:43 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Where else in Canada can you snowboard for a couple of hours and walk the dog on the beach before lunch, watch a sealion playing in the water from my couch, watch a flock of gulls chase a bald eagle with a fish in its mouth, shoot a big black bear in the arse with a pellet gun, get road rage, and eat lovely well priced sushi for dinner.

Not in Toronto or moncton that's for sure

*all that actually happened today. Very strange day indeed.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 5:00 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Give it a rest ffs.....and if you actually took the time to research wot you link to, you would no that the film is specifically about live music venues....you would also know that vision councillor heather deal has agreed and massive charges have/ are happening with respect to arts venues and live music.

Let me guess u are from, London......yawn

Last edited by Boy d; Mar 25th 2012 at 5:05 am.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 5:36 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Where else in Canada can you snowboard for a couple of hours and walk the dog on the beach before lunch, watch a sealion playing in the water from my couch, watch a flock of gulls chase a bald eagle with a fish in its mouth, shoot a big black bear in the arse with a pellet gun, get road rage, and eat lovely well priced sushi for dinner.

Not in Toronto or moncton that's for sure

*all that actually happened today. Very strange day indeed.

The telly?
Old Mar 25th 2012, 5:41 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

The telly?
Nope all real life. A strange day doth happen when the sun cometh oop in't sky.

And it was a big ****ing sealion. Unfortunately it didn't come back up after the aquabus nearly took its face off.

I feel bad about the bear though. My father in law made me do it. It was a right fatty for this time of year.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by el_richo
Nope all real life. A strange day doth happen when the sun cometh oop in't sky.

And it was a big ****ing sealion. Unfortunately it didn't come back up after the aquabus nearly took its face off.

I feel bad about the bear though. My father in law made me do it. It was a right fatty for this time of year.
Some of my C******n acquaintances make sausages out of bears. The ***ing ******s ****ers.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 6:43 am
Beep

Some of my C******n acquaintances make sausages out of bears. The ***ing ******s ****ers.
****ing t*****ging k**b j***eys
Old Mar 25th 2012, 3:26 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Jeez but you are becoming a tedious bore.
Agreed.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of

All I said originally was that I was surprised that Van was number 1 for culture. I didn't gel with Van when I lived there for many reasons, most of them being my perceived lack of culture, a narcissistic government (but hey, aren't they all) and shocking poverty. I would not change my experience living there for the world but I did meet many artists who headed east when I was there (working artists).

For younger people I think that Van is a cultural wasteland and that comes from speaking with young artists. A lot of my time outside of work was spent volunteering at various artist run centres. I'm from Liverpool originally but did live in London for a long time but I don't think that living there clouded my notion of Van being a deadzone for what I like to do. (Live music, galleries and the odd bit of theatre).

I did get to see Asha Bhosle sing when I lived there and that was a joy. Oh yeah and we got to see Mr Cohen. The general situation in Van used to be that a band or performance is advertised, buy tickets. One week before show gig is cancelled when said band or performer has sold out in every other city in Canada or US.

I agree with el_richo, Van does offer amazing natural scenery. I miss seeing Bald eagles, Otters messing with the boats down at Point Grey and the Beaver family at Jerico Park.

I've never been protective of anywhere I've lived. London is a right shi*hole but also amazing. I lived in Istanbul for a while, loved and hated that city. I'm currently in Toronto and apart from lack of steady work I love the city, hate the urban sprawl so heading back to UK in June. Will possibly give Scotland a go.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:34 pm
Banned

All I said originally was that I was surprised that Van was number 1 for culture. I didn't gel with Van when I lived there for many reasons, most of them being my perceived lack of culture, a narcissistic government (but hey, aren't they all) and shocking poverty. I would not change my experience living there for the world but I did meet many artists who headed east when I was there (working artists).

For younger people I think that Van is a cultural wasteland and that comes from speaking with young artists. A lot of my time outside of work was spent volunteering at various artist run centres. I'm from Liverpool originally but did live in London for a long time but I don't think that living there clouded my notion of Van being a deadzone for what I like to do. (Live music, galleries and the odd bit of theatre).

I did get to see Asha Bhosle sing when I lived there and that was a joy. Oh yeah and we got to see Mr Cohen. The general situation in Van used to be that a band or performance is advertised, buy tickets. One week before show gig is cancelled when said band or performer has sold out in every other city in Canada or US.

I agree with el_richo, Van does offer amazing natural scenery. I miss seeing Bald eagles, Otters messing with the boats down at Point Grey and the Beaver family at Jerico Park.

I've never been protective of anywhere I've lived. London is a right shi*hole but also amazing. I lived in Istanbul for a while, loved and hated that city. I'm currently in Toronto and apart from lack of steady work I love the city, hate the urban sprawl so heading back to UK in June. Will possibly give Scotland a go.
I get that Vancouver may not be defined by a strong cultural history, it is, afterall, barely 125 years old. Vancouver is defined by the outdoors and many flock there for that reason. The city is perhaps a little lazy when it comes to the arts. The city has aknowledged that skyrocketing real estate is impacting local artists and is currently rezoning industrial areas to allow for arts venues. Bob Rennie, a local philanphrophist is currently renovating a space on Hastings that will be used live/work for artists. David Duprey, owner of the Rickshaw as like wise developed artists studios along east hastings and has opened a couple of galleries...the plank was one and acme another. The art gallery is looking to expand and is likely going to build a new gallery at the old lawhill park location...going from 40,000 square feet to a 300,000 square feet. The old York theatre is currently being renovated and a smaller theatre is under construction in the oly village.

That being said, for a well rounded city, there are plenty of arts here and i dont agree that its a dead zone. While you may not admit it, your time in London and Toronto has spoiled you. Vancouver is a small city and does not have the critical mass of such places.

My wife loves theatre and there's plenty of smaller, independent theatres here. There are also plenty of art galleries. The east side hosts the cultural crawl every year, then there is fringe, the vancovuer film festival, jazz festival bard on the beach....and more.

There is also plenty of live music and Vancouver has an astonishing independent music scene. Two new venues are teh richshaw and the electric owl. As i noted, the city does lack the infrustructure to host events and suffers because of it. The city has made huge leaps in making it easier for such venues to open and more are likely going to be poping up soon. It lacks cultural infrastructure, not culture (a quote from the producer of the film you linked to in an earlier post). An odd thing i still find about vancouver is how displaced everything is around the city and one has to really know where to go....for example the MOA out on teh endownment lands or no central theatre district.

I am hardly indicative of someone who realishes the arts, but for someone who dabbles with it, i find vancouver has plenty of the arts.

As for concerts being cancelled. I have been here for 20 years, never happened to me, not once. Most north american shows make a stop in Vancouver.

As for poverty, it's not different than any other city. Its just more visible as many of vancouver's services are largely in one area (the down town east side - which happens to be right in the heart of the city). Vancouver is brutally honest in that regard, choosing not to hide it as in other places. There are 14social housing support buildings that will be on line in the next 3 years, providing 1400 beds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.