Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver 56th best place to live in Canada

Vancouver 56th best place to live in Canada

Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Vancouver 56th best place to live in Canada

I'm not surprised that Toronto is 156 out of 190 for jobs. The lack of jobs here is what is forcing me back to the UK. Worldbridge just called and said my wife's visa decision (to move back to the UK) is ready to pick up at 4:00pm today. Fingers crossed.

I'm surprised that Van is number 1 for arts & culture, my wife worked in arts & culture in Van and there is a continued mass exodus of artists as there is little culture. It seems that they include sport in the culture rating (seems bizarre to me)
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I always think these things are stupid but this is the best one I can remember, from looking at it. There are always things about towns that make you want to live there that don't show up in a statistical comparison but this seems to be more "true to life" than they generally are.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 5:47 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
What helped put Vancouver down the rank was the 'Time to buy years' and 'Average House Price'. Also the household income ranking wasn't that high. I know of one young person who told me they were moving to Sask because they would never be able to afford a home here. The crime ranking wasn't good either.

I think this survey is more informative than the Economist poll.
Dont care about stoopid polls.

I'm back, its expensive, but i cant get over how people here bend over backwards (ooh missus) to be nice. 240 bus over to Vancouver Central station from N Van takes 20 mins, in rush hour! 25 mins on sparkly Canada Line and I get a seat everyday. Plus, ive completely changed my industry and my wife has had about 4 job offers. Compared to the 4 months of utter shyte back in London.

Still miss real ale, marks and waitrose though... shhhh
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 6:31 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
25 mins on sparkly Canada Line and I get a seat everyday.
Were you the pissed up black lady just after lunchtime talking dirty to the disabled guy in a wheelchair today?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by magnumpi

New Glasgow last, anyone from there to tell us why? Other than having the name, Glasgow in the name.

That would do it
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 6:58 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010

That would do it
It can't be. Halifax and Kingston are in the top 10.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:06 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back, its expensive, but i cant get over how people here bend over backwards (ooh missus) to be nice. 240 bus over to Vancouver Central station from N Van takes 20 mins, in rush hour! 25 mins on sparkly Canada Line and I get a seat everyday. Plus, ive completely changed my industry and my wife has had about 4 job offers. Compared to the 4 months of utter shyte back in London.

Still miss real ale, marks and waitrose though... shhhh
Its nauseating isn't it?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:26 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Aren't the locals so nice and glad to help!

The poll compares various cities within Canada (not with London, Melbourne etc) and I think it has useful information for prospective migrants.

I've had my share of commuter hell on the London Underground. Over here my commute was 20-30 mins on one bus but it wasn't all smooth commuter heaven. I remember once walking to the bus stop for the home journey to find the bus stopped by the police because 2 passengers had been fighting with knives. On the next bus that came a long a fellow got on for a few stops and casually mentioned to the driver he had hepatitis and had spilled blood on the seat. That bus then pulled over to let someone from the bus company sanitize the seat. I eventually got home.

Glad to hear your having a successful start in Vancouver. I'm on the job hunt myself. London doesn't sound so good these days workwise.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:33 am
Beep

Originally Posted by jandro
Aren't the locals so nice and glad to help!
Unless they're in a car or riding a bike
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 11:57 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The poll has St. John's as the Canadian city with the worst weather. Sadly, that's something I find difficult to argue with. Yesterday Halifax had +28C and sun and we had -1C and freezing rain. You live here despite the weather, not because of it.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 1:36 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Its nauseating isn't it?
Im still in the process of enjoying it

I have has some classically thick Vancouver moments over the last few days, some very funny.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:29 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The poll has St. John's as the Canadian city with the worst weather. Sadly, that's something I find difficult to argue with. Yesterday Halifax had +28C and sun and we had -1C and freezing rain. You live here despite the weather, not because of it.
And it was glorious!
Old Mar 24th 2012, 4:47 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardm123
I'm not surprised that Toronto is 156 out of 190 for jobs. The lack of jobs here is what is forcing me back to the UK. Worldbridge just called and said my wife's visa decision (to move back to the UK) is ready to pick up at 4:00pm today. Fingers crossed.

I'm surprised that Van is number 1 for arts & culture, my wife worked in arts & culture in Van and there is a continued mass exodus of artists as there is little culture. It seems that they include sport in the culture rating (seems bizarre to me)
again, a generalized statement. There is plenty of culture in Vancouver, not to the same level as London or what have you, but compared to similar sized cities it's fine. There are somewhere in the range of 25 plus theatres in the city proper. An art gallery (they has some fella called Davinci on there recently), civic museum, the world renowned MOA...., an Opera, Sympathony Orchestra, pipe bands, brass bands, choirs........major sports stadiums, there are also plans to build a new art gallery and turn the existing one into another theatre. The BC Museum will also be opening a space in China Town. As with any downturns in the economy, the arts will always suffer, such as the vancouver playhouse co. recently closing.

Here is a list of theatre seats in the city:

Chan Centre
-Chan Shun Theatre: 1185 seats
-Telus Studio: 165-280 seats
UBC Old Auditorium: 535 seats
Freddy Wood Theatre: 400 seats

Civic Theatres:

Orpheum Theatre: 2688 seats
Queen Elizabeth Theatre: 2781 seats
Vancouver Playhouse: 668 seats

\Vouge Theatre: 1100 seats

Centre for the Performing Arts: 1836 seats

SFU-Woodwards Fei & Milton Wong Theatre: 400 seats

Arts Club
-Stanley Theatre: 620 seats
-Granville Island Stage: 450 seats
-Revue Stage: 200 seats

The Carousel (kids theatre)

Waterfront Theatre: 240 seats

Performance Works: ?

Performing Arts Lodge Theatre: 120 seats

Wall Centre False Creek Vancouver Playhouse: 260 seats (under construction)

York Theatre (proposed) : 350 seats

Pacific Theatre : 126 seats

Metro Theatre : 399 seats

Norman Rothstein Theatre : 318 seats

The Cultch

Jerhico Arts Centre : 135 seats

Bard on the Beach
Main Stage: ~750
Studio Stage: ~200

A couple of small but mighty ones for the list:

Studio 58: ~150
Havana Theatre on Commercial Drive: ~50

Plus some other ones that may be under some people's radar:
Improv Centre: ~200
Scotiabank Dance Centre: ~100
Studio 16: ~75
Playwrights Theatre Centre Studio: ~50

Artists struggle to find cheap, functional space in the city, given the prices of real estate, and there is certainly a lack of cultural infrastructure, but no end of artists and the creative types, to suggest there is none and a 'mass exodus' is misleading.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 7:39 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boy d
again, a generalized statement. There is plenty of culture in Vancouver, not to the same level as London or what have you, but compared to similar sized cities it's fine. There are somewhere in the range of 25 plus theatres in the city proper. An art gallery (they has some fella called Davinci on there recently), civic museum, the world renowned MOA...., an Opera, Sympathony Orchestra, pipe bands, brass bands, choirs........major sports stadiums, there are also plans to build a new art gallery and turn the existing one into another theatre. The BC Museum will also be opening a space in China Town. As with any downturns in the economy, the arts will always suffer, such as the vancouver playhouse co. recently closing.

Here is a list of theatre seats in the city:

Chan Centre
-Chan Shun Theatre: 1185 seats
-Telus Studio: 165-280 seats
UBC Old Auditorium: 535 seats
Freddy Wood Theatre: 400 seats

Civic Theatres:

Orpheum Theatre: 2688 seats
Queen Elizabeth Theatre: 2781 seats
Vancouver Playhouse: 668 seats

\Vouge Theatre: 1100 seats

Centre for the Performing Arts: 1836 seats

SFU-Woodwards Fei & Milton Wong Theatre: 400 seats

Arts Club
-Stanley Theatre: 620 seats
-Granville Island Stage: 450 seats
-Revue Stage: 200 seats

The Carousel (kids theatre)

Waterfront Theatre: 240 seats

Performance Works: ?

Performing Arts Lodge Theatre: 120 seats

Wall Centre False Creek Vancouver Playhouse: 260 seats (under construction)

York Theatre (proposed) : 350 seats

Pacific Theatre : 126 seats

Metro Theatre : 399 seats

Norman Rothstein Theatre : 318 seats

The Cultch

Jerhico Arts Centre : 135 seats

Bard on the Beach
Main Stage: ~750
Studio Stage: ~200

A couple of small but mighty ones for the list:

Studio 58: ~150
Havana Theatre on Commercial Drive: ~50

Plus some other ones that may be under some people's radar:
Improv Centre: ~200
Scotiabank Dance Centre: ~100
Studio 16: ~75
Playwrights Theatre Centre Studio: ~50

Artists struggle to find cheap, functional space in the city, given the prices of real estate, and there is certainly a lack of cultural infrastructure, but no end of artists and the creative types, to suggest there is none and a 'mass exodus' is misleading.
Who gives a crap about culture, give me a job over culture anyday...i live in York, here we do have culture, I have enjoyed it and hundreds of thousands come every year to York to get it, but it don't pay my bills.

What do aussies call culture?

Yoghurt.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 7:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Who gives a crap about culture, give me a job over culture anyday...i live in York, here we do have culture, I have enjoyed it and hundreds of thousands come every year to York to get it, but it don't pay my bills.

What do aussies call culture?

Yoghurt.
Are you thinking of moving to Australia?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.