British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Vancouver 56th best place to live in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/vancouver-56th-best-place-live-canada-752215/)

richardm123 Mar 20th 2012 4:32 pm

Vancouver 56th best place to live in Canada

Well this is interesting, I'm very surprised. I wasn't a big fan of Vancouver but gosh 56th, Ottawa number one???

http://www.moneysense.ca/2012/03/20/...-to-live-2012/

iaink Mar 20th 2012 4:34 pm

Re: Vancouver 56th best place to live in Canada

Vancouver, its expensive. Crime stats are not the best. Median house price is 10x median income. Hence its low rating. Toronto doesnt do much better on the list.

I guess its "survey season" Lets not get carried away, a few years ago the same moneysense survey had Leamington Ontario top. Ive nothing against Leamington, but it says something about the survey parameters.

iaink Mar 20th 2012 4:42 pm

Rank the list by weather.... thats an eye opener!

Victoria? Vancouver? Kelowna?

Forget that... Oakville, Burlington, Port Hope!

ShurleyShomeMishtake. Surveys, who needs them:blink:

Oink Mar 20th 2012 4:44 pm

And there's naffing pit bulls everywhere.

jandro Mar 20th 2012 5:32 pm

What helped put Vancouver down the rank was the 'Time to buy years' and 'Average House Price'. Also the household income ranking wasn't that high. I know of one young person who told me they were moving to Sask because they would never be able to afford a home here. The crime ranking wasn't good either.

I think this survey is more informative than the Economist poll.

jamesmc Mar 20th 2012 5:34 pm

lol....2 largest cities in Manitoba in top 10.and Regina SK in 6th place...omg prairies rule....hehe.:rofl:

magnumpi Mar 20th 2012 6:59 pm

Wow it placed that high ehh, amazing. ;)

We got 93rd Woo Hoo

New Glasgow last, anyone from there to tell us why? Other than having the name, Glasgow in the name.

Howefamily Mar 20th 2012 7:04 pm

Halifax was in the top 10! Go Halifax!!!

MarylandNed Mar 20th 2012 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by richardm123 (Post 9963157)
Well this is interesting, I'm very surprised. I wasn't a big fan of Vancouver but gosh 56th, Ottawa number one???

http://www.moneysense.ca/2012/03/20/...-to-live-2012/

I've said this before but I've never understood the infatuation with the actual city of Vancouver. Yes, it's in a stunning natural setting but the city itself just left me unimpressed.

magnumpi Mar 20th 2012 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 9963421)
Wow it placed that high ehh, amazing. ;)

We got 93rd Woo Hoo

New Glasgow last, anyone from there to tell us why? Other than having the name, Glasgow in the name.

Edit: I just noticed Oshawa are 22nd, that shows it is most likely a Joke survey done by a few drunk guys/students all sat in a bar somewhere. Ha Ha yes very funny :thumbsup:

iaink Mar 20th 2012 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 9963447)
Edit: I just noticed Oshawa are 22nd, that shows it is most likely a Joke survey done by a few drunk guys/students all sat in a bar somewhere. Ha Ha yes very funny :thumbsup:

Actually this is one of the better ones in terms of methodology and valid comparisons for whats important to everyday folks!:blink:

magnumpi Mar 20th 2012 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9963489)
Actually this is one of the better ones in terms of methodology and valid comparisons for whats important to everyday folks!:blink:

Oshawa?, be serious...:thumbdown:

iaink Mar 20th 2012 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 9963525)
Oshawa?, be serious...:thumbdown:

Seriously, theres some right nice bits, up north of the hospital, and some decent wages for those still at GM. Plus Toronto "culture" is only a short Go train away. There are worse places. Not sure what the employment scene is like there at the mo.

Besides, it has lovely weather apparently... cant get over the climate ratings, someone's gone off their meds there I think.

magnumpi Mar 20th 2012 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9963543)
Seriously, theres some right nice bits, up north of the hospital, and some decent wages for those still at GM. Plus Toronto "culture" is only a short Go train away. There are worse places. Not sure what the employment scene is like there at the mo.

Besides, it has lovely weather apparently... cant get over the climate ratings, someone's gone off their meds there I think.

Ha Ha ok if you say so north aint arf bad, but souf, well, its not my fav place to go work put it that way, not far behind Jane n Finch and Gerrard n River....:ohmy: Biker gang issues are rife. :ohmy:

ExKiwilass Mar 20th 2012 8:58 pm

Moncton?