Vancouver??

Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver??

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I get moody mails about my language and now you're threatening me from 4,000 miles away. Well believe me keyboard warrior... anytime you want try the Putney Bridge bungee jump you just give me a mail.

Regarding the original post, I lived in Vancouver for nearly 7 years and stated that the bloke should check the house prices, not an outrageous statement? We came out thinking we'd get ourselves a nice affordable place, not a mansion like you accused me of wanting, a simple 2 up 2 down. Unfortunately we left it too long and couldn't afford anything. My annoyance was you accusing me of being Mr Big man with my bags of cash after selling my 1 bed flat in Clapham for half a million dollars, which couldn't be further from the truth. Ive never even owned a property in England. What pisses me off is smart arses like yourself who cant be civil in their reply and cant disagree without being insulting.
Your language does leave a bit to be desired - both in this post and the previous one! It really isn't necessary! I bet Hudman is glad he doesn't know you.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Eden is an unknown quantity at this point

Londonucks's language is very poor and I agree he shouldn't swear here but I couldn't help notice the unwarranted snidey comment which included swearing ("What the F%&K is wrong starting off in a condo in the Valley??) that provoked it and the later threat (By the way with language like that if I ever pop back to London................ Off Putney Bridge you will go my friend). I think bad language is preferable to threats of violence, don't you? I also think house prices are highly relevant to someone considering immigrating. And no, I wouldn't prefer to move my family from a house into a flat and I think that is what most house dwellers would say and I am not a greedy brit either.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I never really understand the house price posts here, but maybe we were lucky ?
Try a search on MLS, we found our north van one there at 490K,
The cheapest at the moment, a rancher for 519K,( about Gbp 250K ) average UK non city price I seem to recall for anything semi decent.
We have an older house needs a bit of work, but there are deer that visit the back garden and eagles sometimes soar overhead, not to mention woodpeckers, the woods, etc, etc.
It just takes a bit of searching & maybe luck ?
Same as the UK I recall.
cheers
Jerry
Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

meanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant future

was this thread not started about home and jobs not about someone swearing come on guy just good advice needed
Old Apr 14th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile For those who didn't have property to sell in the UK...

Hi,

In response to the post regarding North Van house prices, I had a look on MLS to see what property prices are like in North Van. When looking at single family homes only (excluding condos etc) the first house available is $439,000. The realtor is honest on this one "house is probably not liveable"!

The next one after that is $539,000. The fact that this equates to an average house price in the UK of about 250,000 UK pounds is not relevant - I earn in dollars. (Actually, I couldn't afford a quarter of million pound house when I was working in the UK!).

The point I wanted to make is: not all of us came here with a property sold in the UK. The deposit I scraped together was $17,000 to purchase my home - this hasn't been a feasible deposit for decades in the lower mainland.

I am too young to have benefitted from surfing the soaring property market in the UK. If I had been able to get a foothold in the property ladder in the UK, I would probably feel very different about all this.

The lower mainland prices are astronomical. Luckily, the fortunate ones who can sell property in the UK are somewhat insulated from this. However, for the rest of us earning and saving in dollars, the lower mainland is not a feasible market to enter.

All the best,

Sarah
Old Apr 14th 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
yep starting on the housing ladder first time is hard anywhere in the world, I remember the 95% mortgage in the UK, the six/seven day weeks and 3/4 of my monthly pay going in mortgage payment, but the hard slog works out eventually.
Then the kids arrive...
cheers
Jerry
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen my friend's husband ,who has a small window installation
business,is able to find good value properties in the lower mainland
from his connection with other trades people.

They built their new home,bought good quality materials at cost price
and they knew who to select to build their home.
Like any business ,it has pros and cons but if you caught the real estate
bug, it can be fun,risky and yet rewarding.
Yoong
Old Apr 16th 2007, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

osulli6770 is an unknown quantity at this point

been offered employment through jobs in bc with Flynn canada ltd $25 per hour
any good ? any info would be useful thanks
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by osulli6770
Hi
For trades in Vancouver rates tend to vary between $25 to $35/hr.
Check the benefits package , (MSP, medical, dental etc) and what date they kick in.
Check the statuatory holdidays ( some don't recognise easter monday etc )
And check how much annual holiday,( usually two weeks until after five years then three weeks )
Also most employers don't seem to pay sick pay, of any kind.
If you move purely for a job, I understand you can claim moving expenses as an allowance against canadian tax.
Bear in mind, one day's notice in some contracts are common, usually after three months this seems to go up to one weeks notice.
One thing I have noticed/heard so far is the really high hourly rate jobs don't seem to last, the reaslistic hourly rate jobs do.
Hope my ramblings help.
Good Luck.
cheers
Jerry
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by osulli6770
Flynn won Canada's 50 Best managed companies 6 straight years.
The big construction companies are their customers that contracted
them do their major projects.
I would think the workers are treated fairly by Flynn .

http://www.flynn.ca/projects.asp
By looking at the projects from the above link ,you can also
find the names of the major construction companies in Canada.
Hope that helps.
Yoong