British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Vancouver?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/vancouver-441450/)

bazzz Apr 11th 2007 11:16 pm

Re: Vancouver??
 
Ah, this was the thread I was looking for:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=%2428

Yoong Apr 11th 2007 11:18 pm

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by osulli6770 (Post 4627790)
Thinking of moving to vancouver ,i work as a flat roofer in uk .
Anyone with advice would be greatful ,been offered employment by someone called jobs in bc anybody know about this firm? Any response would be helpful :ps wages? living costs?
Thanks

Hi,
Here are the top BC construction companies in BC
http://www.bctop100.com/construction.htm
Hope that helps.
Yoong

Rich_007 Apr 11th 2007 11:19 pm

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by osulli6770 (Post 4627790)
Thinking of moving to vancouver ,i work as a flat roofer in uk.

Hmmm....can you mend leaky condo roofs ?

:unsure: :sneaky: :D

Rich.

Hudman Apr 12th 2007 12:23 am

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by osulli6770 (Post 4627790)
Thinking of moving to vancouver ,i work as a flat roofer in uk .
Anyone with advice would be greatful ,been offered employment by someone called jobs in bc anybody know about this firm? Any response would be helpful :ps wages? living costs?
Thanks

Lots of flat roof's. My advice is to get your foot in, do your time etc. Then get to speed with steep roofing practices (more common on residential), and aim for setting yourself up as a contractor.
Roofers are in very high demand in Vancouver. Its a license to print money if you get qualified.

Londonuck Apr 12th 2007 9:17 am

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by osulli6770 (Post 4627790)
Thinking of moving to vancouver ,i work as a flat roofer in uk .
Anyone with advice would be greatful ,been offered employment by someone called jobs in bc anybody know about this firm? Any response would be helpful :ps wages? living costs?
Thanks

Mate, check the house prices. They are mental in Vancouver.

bazzz Apr 12th 2007 3:00 pm

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by Londonuck (Post 4630758)
Mate, check the house prices. They are mental in Vancouver.

But renting isn't so bad.

Hudman Apr 12th 2007 3:16 pm

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by Londonuck (Post 4630758)
Mate, check the house prices. They are mental in Vancouver.

Sweeping statement, for the average Brit who comes here with greedy aspirations of big homes in exclusive areas.
What the F%&K is wrong starting off in a condo in the Valley??
For some they may not land with a single family home in N.Van, but rather than be put off consider starting modest, depending on your needs. But most condos could accommodate a couple plus one.
House prices are a factor but there are other ways to start.

Londonuck Apr 12th 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by Hudman (Post 4632110)
Sweeping statement, for the average Brit who comes here with greedy aspirations of big homes in exclusive areas.

You dont know me so fk off with your greedy average brit bollocks.

Oakvillian Apr 12th 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by Londonuck (Post 4632578)
You dont know me so fk off with your greedy average brit bollocks.

Now that's just rude and uncalled for. "Mate, check the house prices. They are mental in Vancouver" is a sweeping statement.

Do you know the OP? If so, how can you know what he would consider "mental"? Perhaps he's moving from SW London (where I note you are based) and is selling up a sizeable pad on the river in Barnes or Richmond - you'd get a few square feet in Vancouver for the price of that. Or perhaps he may, indeed, be a "greedy average brit" (whatever that is). If you don't know, take your own advice and don't generalise.

If you can't reply with anything more constructive than "fk off" then I would humbly suggest you don't reply at all.

meanjock Apr 12th 2007 5:39 pm

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by bazzz (Post 4632018)
But renting isn't so bad.

Can you tell me how much a apartment or house with two bed rooms would cost anywhere but downtown Vancouver an average price would good

Yoong Apr 12th 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by meanjock (Post 4632725)
Can you tell me how much a apartment or house with two bed rooms would cost anywhere but downtown Vancouver an average price would good

Here is the thread on Renting in Vancouver.

http://vancouver.renting.canada.com/...SearchTab=rent

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=vancouver
Good luck:thumbsup:
Yoong

meanjock Apr 12th 2007 10:56 pm

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by Yoong (Post 4633931)
Here is the thread on Renting in Vancouver.

http://vancouver.renting.canada.com/...SearchTab=rent

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=vancouver
Good luck:thumbsup:
Yoong

Hey thanks that will help alot just talk to my hopefully new boss and he said that the job offer wont change after i arrive and that PCL a not known for that type of thing :thumbsup:

startwin Apr 13th 2007 1:17 am

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by meanjock (Post 4634164)
Hey thanks that will help alot just talk to my hopefully new boss and he said that the job offer wont change after i arrive and that PCL a not known for that type of thing :thumbsup:

PCL is a good company, they probably have enough work on their books to last years and years. There are a number of us who live and work in the Vancouver or lower mainland areas, and we do manage to live quite well, so don't be put off by those who are dissing the area, or telling you it's way too expensive - note that they are mainly living elsewhere! Leaky condos is a thing of the past, but condos do sell like hotcakes when a new project comes on the market. PCL builds lots of them. And as Hudman said, roofers are in high demand, along with most other construction workers.

Renting in downtown Vancouver is quite affordable. Buying a house is probably affordable for you coming from the UK if you had a house to sell over there. If not, check out the burbs. The Fraser Valley part of the lower mainland has lots of cheaper housing as well as the more expensive. Good luck.

Hudman Apr 13th 2007 3:09 am

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by Londonuck (Post 4632578)
You dont know me so fk off with your greedy average brit bollocks.

Early morning clumsy post. apologies. However there is a vein of spoilt whingers with piles of negativity.
Personally I would rather live in a trailer here (very affordable) than have to stay in huge areas of UK. I am sure price of Housing is major factor for some, but maybe we ought to be more like our (East) Indian cousins and be prepared to suffer a little for a better long term future. Anyways Once you get established here lenders are itching to give you money.
By the way with language like that if I ever pop back to London................ Off Putney Bridge you will go my friend.

Londonuck Apr 13th 2007 9:30 am

Re: Vancouver??
 

Originally Posted by Hudman (Post 4635295)
Early morning clumsy post. apologies. However there is a vein of spoilt whingers with piles of negativity.
Personally I would rather live in a trailer here (very affordable) than have to stay in huge areas of UK. I am sure price of Housing is major factor for some, but maybe we ought to be more like our (East) Indian cousins and be prepared to suffer a little for a better long term future. Anyways Once you get established here lenders are itching to give you money.
By the way with language like that if I ever pop back to London................ Off Putney Bridge you will go my friend.


I get moody mails about my language and now you're threatening me from 4,000 miles away. Well believe me keyboard warrior... anytime you want try the Putney Bridge bungee jump you just give me a mail.

Regarding the original post, I lived in Vancouver for nearly 7 years and stated that the bloke should check the house prices, not an outrageous statement? We came out thinking we'd get ourselves a nice affordable place, not a mansion like you accused me of wanting, a simple 2 up 2 down. Unfortunately we left it too long and couldn't afford anything. My annoyance was you accusing me of being Mr Big man with my bags of cash after selling my 1 bed flat in Clapham for half a million dollars, which couldn't be further from the truth. Ive never even owned a property in England. What pisses me off is smart arses like yourself who cant be civil in their reply and cant disagree without being insulting.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:01 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.