Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vacation in the UK

Vacation in the UK

Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:15 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Vacation in the UK

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning a vacation to the Ireland & the UK. Most likely a visit to Ireland and possibly England or Scotland if we can fit in a bit extra. We are lucky in that my husband has 2 weeks off every month and can easily add take an extra week to have a 3 week block free to travel. We were thinking of going this summer but with the Olympics on I'm guessing it's better to wait until September or possibly just next spring or summer. I should also mention that we are Canadian and have never been to the UK before.

So, questions:

1. My first question is, when are the cheaper time periods to travel in is there an off season (or perhaps a holiday season there to avoid)? I'm not overly fussed about when as long as it's not winter when we go.

2. Airlines... Round trip tickets for two in August came to $3000 with Air Canada and $2000 with Canadian Affair. I'm guessing Canadian Affair is cheaper, but is there any reason I should worry about the stability of the company? Will have a check for prices in September or other months to compare.

3. Any other tips? Ireland is the first destination but I'm not sure how much we can squeeze during a two week stay. We plan on driving about 3 hours a day (have done this on other trips) and trying to see as much as we can. Would love to fit in a quick side trip over to England or Scotland before heading back to Canada.

Last edited by comet555; Jan 11th 2012 at 4:24 am. Reason: Thanks for the reminder JonboyE!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:22 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacation in the UK

Originally Posted by comet555
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning a vacation to the UK. Most likely a visit to Ireland and possibly England or Scotland if we can fit in a bit extra. We are lucky in that my husband has 2 weeks off every month and can easily add take an extra week to have a 3 week block free to travel. We were thinking of going this summer but with the Olympics on I'm guessing it's better to wait until September or possibly just next spring or summer. I should also mention that we are Canadian and have never been to the UK before.

So, questions:

1. My first question is, when are the cheaper time periods to travel in is there an off season (or perhaps a holiday season there to avoid)? I'm not overly fussed about when as long as it's not winter when we go.

2. Airlines... Round trip tickets for two in August came to $3000 with Air Canada and $2000 with Canadian Affair. I'm guessing Canadian Affair is cheaper, but is there any reason I should worry about the stability of the company? Will have a check for prices in September or other months to compare.

3. Any other tips? Ireland is the first destination but I'm not sure how much we can squeeze during a two week stay. We plan on driving about 3 hours a day (have done this on other trips) and trying to see as much as we can. Would love to fit in a quick side trip over to England or Scotland before heading back to Canada.
If you avoid the school holidays (Summer holiday ends early September), you can save a load on flights and accomodation. Canadian Affair is a cheap alternative to the big airlines and they're the airline most expats seem to choose (mainly because they're cheaper). After the Olympics, I would imagine there will be a lot of surplus accomodation available in London at least that would offer you favourable rates. The weather is generally still pretty good in September.

Hope this helps. Have you thought of a house swap with a family in Ireland or the UK? This can make accomodation almost free....
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:43 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
If you avoid the school holidays (Summer holiday ends early September), you can save a load on flights and accomodation. Canadian Affair is a cheap alternative to the big airlines and they're the airline most expats seem to choose (mainly because they're cheaper). After the Olympics, I would imagine there will be a lot of surplus accomodation available in London at least that would offer you favourable rates. The weather is generally still pretty good in September.

Hope this helps. Have you thought of a house swap with a family in Ireland or the UK? This can make accomodation almost free....
Thanks, will investigate September a little more then.

I have thought about a house swap but unfortunately we want to do a fair amount of travelling about while we're there, so we're not likely to stay in one place for more than a night or two. We did a whirlwind trip of New Zealand (south island) in 8 days and stayed in a different place every night with a few hours of driving each day. We loved it, so are pretty much planning on seeing the sights more so than relaxing and just doing local stuff.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:52 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

To save embarrassment remember that most of the island of Ireland is not part of the UK. Irish citizens can be a little sensitive about this.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:23 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by JonboyE
To save embarrassment remember that most of the island of Ireland is not part of the UK. Irish citizens can be a little sensitive about this.
Thanks for the reminder! I only use UK in the general sense because we'd like to hit all three areas. Perhaps I should've name the thread Ireland and the UK? Either way I must keep reminding myself about what is and what is not part of the UK!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:29 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't mention Wales as your intended itinerary, but from southern Ireland (Cork?) you can get a ferry to Swansea for example. Visit the Brecon Beacons and on to the Roman remains at Caerleon, then Chepstow and Tintern Abbey and explore the border counties of England/Wales.

I know I'm a Sassenach, but I wouldn't bother going all the way up to Scotland!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Olitrazac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, you really need to get out a map and a guidebook and decide what is essential viewing. That way you can plan an itinerary and a possible route. From the UK side of things, school holidays are to be avoided - you double cost and the crowds, mid wk of Feb, the 2 wks with Easter in the middle, last wk in May or first wk of June, summer hols start around the 20(ish) July through to the 1st wk Sept and there is a wk in October too.

Scotland (esp the highlands) is beautiful but you can drive for long distances between places, although that's an experience in itself with the scenery, Wales too but less distance, England itself has LOADS to see so you need to decide what you want - landmarks/scenery/towns and cities to make the most of your time.

Accommodation can be expensive, esp in the tourist areas, seaside areas tend to have more small b&b's (bed and breakfast) which can be good value (£30-£80 a night dep on place and room), most main routes and towns now have a 'Travellodge' or two, these are purpose built functional hotels, often used fir business or a one night stopover, if you can book in advance these can be great value (£25-£55 a night), they are clean, usually pretty new, all have parking and some with leisure amenities and restaurants.

Beware, petrol/diesel is expensive (£1.50 ish a litre) so you will need to factor this into your route plan and if hiring a car the size you go for.

Happy planning.

Last edited by Olitrazac; Jan 11th 2012 at 5:53 am.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Olitrazac
Hi, you really need to get out a map and a guidebook and decide what is essential viewing. That way you can plan an itinerary and a possible route. From the UK side of things, school holidays are to be avoided - you double cost and the crowds, mid wk of Feb, the 2 wks with Easter in the middle, last wk in May or first wk of June, summer hols start around the 20(ish) July through to the 1st wk Sept and there is a wk in October too.

Scotland (esp the highlands) is beautiful but you can drive for long distances between places, although that's an experience in itself with the scenery, Wales too but less distance, England itself has LOADS to see so you need to decide what you want - landmarks/scenery/towns and cities to make the most of your time.

Accommodation can be expensive, esp in the tourist areas, seaside areas tend to have more small b&b's (bed and breakfast) which can be good value (£30-£80 a night dep on place and room), most main routes and towns now have a 'Travellodge' or two, these are purpose built functional hotels, often used fir business or a one night stopover, if you can book in advance these can be great value (£25-£55 a night), they are clean, usually pretty new, all have parking and some with leisure amenities and restaurants.

Beware, petrol/diesel is expensive (£1.50 ish a litre) so you will need to factor this into your route plan and if hiring a car the size you go for.

Happy planning.

I agree with this. I live in the UK, and am Canadian and I would also suggest the highlands in scotland. I was there in February, we rented a car and drove all around from Edinburgh up to Stirling, and then over to the Mountain areas of Glencoe and Loch Leven, Isle of Skye and back down through to the Cairngorms and it was fantastic. The mountains are Lochs are very pretty.
Petrol is a bit dear, and coming from Canada (Where you probably think it's expensive already) you will have a shock coming when you pay £1.39 for a litre. hahaha but you just have to get over it.
If you go to scotland, you need a car to get around.
In England, well, If you've NEVER been here, I would say to visit one major city (London probably...do not stay more than 2 or 3 days, after that, youll just be dissapointed and probably annoyed) Infact, I would actually choose Oxford over London as it will meet your "visualisations" of how England is meant to look. Cobble stone roads, Old buildings that aren't falling down etc.
So yeah, I would say, Ireland and Scotland focus on, and then if you have any time left, then do england quickly just to say you've been.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by teacher1000
I agree with this. I live in the UK, and am Canadian and I would also suggest the highlands in scotland. I was there in February, we rented a car and drove all around from Edinburgh up to Stirling, and then over to the Mountain areas of Glencoe and Loch Leven, Isle of Skye and back down through to the Cairngorms and it was fantastic. The mountains are Lochs are very pretty.
Petrol is a bit dear, and coming from Canada (Where you probably think it's expensive already) you will have a shock coming when you pay £1.39 for a litre. hahaha but you just have to get over it.
If you go to scotland, you need a car to get around.
In England, well, If you've NEVER been here, I would say to visit one major city (London probably...do not stay more than 2 or 3 days, after that, youll just be dissapointed and probably annoyed) Infact, I would actually choose Oxford over London as it will meet your "visualisations" of how England is meant to look. Cobble stone roads, Old buildings that aren't falling down etc.
So yeah, I would say, Ireland and Scotland focus on, and then if you have any time left, then do england quickly just to say you've been.
LOL im sorry, I have no idea why I put february, I meant october. haha
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:45 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by comet555
I assume that by Ireland you mean the Republic. Don't rule out the North, but stick to your plan of coming in September.

You could do the whole North Antrim Coast in 2 - 3 days, allowing for lots of eating, drinking and looking at stuff. There's a lovely ruined castle near Ballintoy called Kinbane Castle. It's a wreck but in the most beautiful setting. If you do go up North, you can't miss Downhill Beach near Castlerock...one of my all time favourite places and, if you are up for it, you can go horse riding along the beach. If you are all the way up there, it would be a shame not to drive down through Donegal. It gives a whole new meaning to the word 'bleak' but there's little places scattered around (Letterkenny etc) for when you need a pint.

Also be aware that Ireland, all of it, is rather small. Driving 3 hours a day is quite a lot! From Belfast (In the North) to Dubllin is about 2 hours. Then from Dublin to, say, Cork is about 3 hours. North American distances just don't relate over there! Anyway, I could go on and on, can I just come with you instead?

Edited to add: Oooh, don't forget the Glens of Antrim! Bring your walking shoes. And a raincoat.

Last edited by ireland2canada; Jan 11th 2012 at 11:47 am.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:28 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

So yeah, I would say, Ireland and Scotland focus on, and then if you have any time left, then do england quickly just to say you've been.[/QUOTE]

This really sums you up totally, 'do england quickly just to say you've been'. Get back to Canada love as quickly as possible and give us all a break.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I hail from Northern Ireland and it is well worth a visit. I took the natural beauty for granted when growing up there - although growing up right in the middle of "The Troubles" in the 70s and 80s probably had something to do with that! I appreciate it much more now when I visit. Don't miss the Causeway Coast including the Giant's Causeway and the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge. Breathtaking! Old Bushmills Distillery is also worth a visit.

http://www.causewaycoastandglens.com...oute.T186.aspx

Weather is very changeable there so be prepared. Last time I visited the Causeway Coast just over 2 years ago I think we had all 4 seasons in one day!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:58 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

My personal suggestion would be:
  1. Ignore teacher1000
  2. Fly to London, spend a few nights there and see some sights (buckingham palace, tower of london, st pauls, parliament, etc
  3. Jump in a hire car and pop over to Bath for the night
  4. Drive up through the costwalds to stratford to check out shakespeares stuff for a couple of hours, then drive onwards to York
  5. Spend a coupld of nights in York to see some sights and walk the roman wall around the city, the drive up to Whitby.
  6. Spend a night in Whitby, wander around and enjoy the fish and chips.
  7. Drive up to Edingburgh and spend a couple of nights there.
  8. Drive around the highlands and check into a B&B somewhere
  9. Drive back down to the Lake District and spend a few nights exploring and hiking
  10. Hop on a ferry to the Isle of Man for a day and night or 2 and check it out (no speed limits in areas, sweet)
  11. Hop on another ferry to Ireland and drive around for a few days.
  12. Pop back on a ferry to Wales, see the natural beauty for a few days then drive back to London to catch your flight.

Sound wonderful to me
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by teacher1000
Petrol is a bit dear, and coming from Canada (Where you probably think it's expensive already) you will have a shock coming when you pay £1.39 for a litre. hahaha but you just have to get over it.If you go to scotland, you need a car to get around.
It's all relative. In Canada I pay roughly half of what I paid for petrol in the UK, but then given the distances (even in town), cover probably double the mileage I did in the UK.

I wouldn't be too worried about the price of fuel in the UK. You wouldn't be likely to be renting a 'gas guzzler' anyway.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:08 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I hail from Northern Ireland and it is well worth a visit. I took the natural beauty for granted when growing up there - although growing up right in the middle of "The Troubles" in the 70s and 80s probably had something to do with that! I appreciate it much more now when I visit. Don't miss the Causeway Coast including the Giant's Causeway and the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge. Breathtaking! Old Bushmills Distillery is also worth a visit.

http://www.causewaycoastandglens.com...oute.T186.aspx

Weather is very changeable there so be prepared. Last time I visited the Causeway Coast just over 2 years ago I think we had all 4 seasons in one day!
Damp, drizzling, lashing and bucketing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.