Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vacation in the UK

Vacation in the UK

Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacation in the UK

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Damp, drizzling, lashing and bucketing?

LOL! Not quite. It was absolutely pissing down as we drove through Belfast. It was actually warm and sunny when we got to Carrick-a-rede.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:28 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
LOL! Not quite. It was absolutely pissing down as we drove through Belfast. It was actually warm and sunny when we got to Carrick-a-rede.
I was back in July and I was able to walk around, some of the time, without a jacket on! Shocking
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Based on all the suggestions you have had, you might want your OH to book extra time off

But seriously, you have to go to the South Downs, that's where I'm from and they're luurvvly!!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future

Hi, I would say do everything el_richo said but include in my opinion (while your are down Bristol way) Glastonbury (unusual little town but cute), Cornwall way and Bournmouth area. When you are in Ireland if you land in Dublin, lots of people drive around the country - into Wicklow, head down around the ring of Kerry, Killarney, Cork and up into the west, Galway, Clare, Mayo Sligo and up into North west - Donegal, into Northern Ireland counties, across to Belfast and don't leave out the Giants Causeway and Newry, Warrenpoint, Mountains of Mourn and back down through counties towards Dublin. There are loads of other towns in the middle up and down Ireland. Both Countries are easily done in three weeks however if you are going to travel around places like Connemara in the West of Ireland (loads of mountains, beaches and lakes, really lovely) you will need to know that the roads there are lets say - an adventure ! Areas like this take a much longer time (than anticipated) to drive around and the road signs are in Irish once deep into the countryside (so sat nav). Scotland also in my opinion takes a while to get around as does Wales (mountain parts). In Ireland take clotthes for every season regardless of the month you go. I had gale force winds, hailstones, sunshine and normal rain all in one day . Also be prepared to talk a lot and BARTER at bed and breakfast houses and hotels (it does work, same when you hire a car there if you have not pre booked online), I have never tried it in England so someone else will have to advise on that. Hope this helps a bit.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by gillyd65
So yeah, I would say, Ireland and Scotland focus on, and then if you have any time left, then do england quickly just to say you've been.
This really sums you up totally, 'do england quickly just to say you've been'. Get back to Canada love as quickly as possible and give us all a break.[/QUOTE]

Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by el_richo
My personal suggestion would be:
  1. Ignore teacher1000
  2. Fly to London, spend a few nights there and see some sights (buckingham palace, tower of london, st pauls, parliament, etc
  3. Jump in a hire car and pop over to Bath for the night
  4. Drive up through the costwalds to stratford to check out shakespeares stuff for a couple of hours, then drive onwards to York
  5. Spend a coupld of nights in York to see some sights and walk the roman wall around the city, the drive up to Whitby.
  6. Spend a night in Whitby, wander around and enjoy the fish and chips.
  7. Drive up to Edingburgh and spend a couple of nights there.
  8. Drive around the highlands and check into a B&B somewhere
  9. Drive back down to the Lake District and spend a few nights exploring and hiking
  10. Hop on a ferry to the Isle of Man for a day and night or 2 and check it out (no speed limits in areas, sweet)
  11. Hop on another ferry to Ireland and drive around for a few days.
  12. Pop back on a ferry to Wales, see the natural beauty for a few days then drive back to London to catch your flight.

Sound wonderful to me
I LOVE this itinery, especially the York and Whitby stop off
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:37 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I've taken lots of notes to help with the planning.

It certainly seems like we could cover a decent amount of Ireland, England and perhaps Scotland in 2 weeks if we drive a couple hours a day. Which suits us just fine as we probably wouldn't plan on staying two nights in one place unless there was lots to do in the morning. I should note that we don't really feel the need to see too much in the big cities. Would probably only spend a day in London and see a few big touristy sights. I like the suggestion of Oxford and that's probably more us than the big city. What we're really after is the pretty scenic drives and castles, old houses, historic stuff really! As you know there is a shortage of really old stuff in Canada!

A couple questions:

1. Would a ferry make the most sense to get between Ireland and England? The ferry into Dublin looks to be about 2 hours which isn't bad. Going on foot seems to cost about 130 pounds all together for both of us (can't do the symbol sorry!). Flying seemed to be about 150 pounds. It doesn't make much sense to bring a rental car on the ferry either I suppose, unless it would cost more to drop off a rental in England and pick one up in Ireland.

2. B&B's or hotels, etc? I'm assuming there are lots of B&B's around, how does the cost compare to hotels? What would be easier to just show up without booking? Should we worry about places having vacancies if we travelled in September? I do hope to have a rough itinerary but if we didn't need to book ahead then that would be fine too. Also, neither of us has ever stayed in a B&B so is it easy to find ones where you have your own bathroom? I wouldn't be too fussed to share one, although my husband probably feels otherwise!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Thanks for the great advice everyone. I've taken lots of notes to help with the planning.

It certainly seems like we could cover a decent amount of Ireland, England and perhaps Scotland in 2 weeks if we drive a couple hours a day. Which suits us just fine as we probably wouldn't plan on staying two nights in one place unless there was lots to do in the morning. I should note that we don't really feel the need to see too much in the big cities. Would probably only spend a day in London and see a few big touristy sights. I like the suggestion of Oxford and that's probably more us than the big city. What we're really after is the pretty scenic drives and castles, old houses, historic stuff really! As you know there is a shortage of really old stuff in Canada!

A couple questions:

1. Would a ferry make the most sense to get between Ireland and England? The ferry into Dublin looks to be about 2 hours which isn't bad. Going on foot seems to cost about 130 pounds all together for both of us (can't do the symbol sorry!). Flying seemed to be about 150 pounds. It doesn't make much sense to bring a rental car on the ferry either I suppose, unless it would cost more to drop off a rental in England and pick one up in Ireland.
Two weeks for Ireland, Scotland and England is probably tight unless you're just picking a couple of places in each or you don't mind being in a car a lot. Factor in that you'll lose a day flying over there and another flying back.

Personally, I would rather fly between Ireland and Britain than be messing about with ferries. Then again, I've travelled on every possible ferry between the island of Ireland and mainland Britain over the years. You might actually enjoy the ferry ride if you've never been on one before.

Unless you're getting a great deal on a rental car that you want to take with you, I wouldn't be taking a rental car on the ferry. If you do, make sure the rental car company is fully aware of your plans. You don't want to be in a situation you're not insured for.

Also, much depends on your itinerary. Where you fly into and out of and where you hope to pick up and drop off rental cars needs to be coordinated.

Much simpler IMO to use a local rental car and fly over the Irish Sea. That's what I did on my last extended trip to visit Ireland and England.

2. B&B's or hotels, etc? I'm assuming there are lots of B&B's around, how does the cost compare to hotels? What would be easier to just show up without booking? Should we worry about places having vacancies if we travelled in September? I do hope to have a rough itinerary but if we didn't need to book ahead then that would be fine too. Also, neither of us has ever stayed in a B&B so is it easy to find ones where you have your own bathroom? I wouldn't be too fussed to share one, although my husband probably feels otherwise!
Cost depends on the location and standard of B&B's and hotels. Some B&B's are more expensive than some hotels and vice versa. September is not high season so you'll definately have more freedom in terms of just playing it by ear. However, I would book something in advance in the cities (e.g. Dublin, London, etc.) for the dates that you know you'll be there.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:10 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

A sensible option for the mainland tour would be to think seriously about a rail travel anywhere type ticket. Fuel,car parking and rental will cost, you say you want to see old places then I would pick out some of the old walled towns but have the route planned out carefully and accomodation pre booked for September still a busy holiday time in the UK. Driving times on UK roads to some of the places suggested to you are a no go at a rate of 2-3 hours per day.
At least by train you can be on holiday....
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:12 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Excellent advice. Hadn't thought about the insurance on the ferry. I think the rough plan was that if we took a ferry we would drop it off in England and pick up another on in Ireland. Cheaper than taking it on the ferry anyway I would imagine. We did take a couple ferries in Australia and once you're on them they kind of all look the same I suppose!

Will definitely be booking the major cities as we'll probably be there on arrival and again prior to flying back to Canada. If I can get a pretty good itinerary then I probably will book a bunch of nights, although I like to leave open a bit of room to change plans if needed.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:16 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Stormer999
A sensible option for the mainland tour would be to think seriously about a rail travel anywhere type ticket. Fuel,car parking and rental will cost, you say you want to see old places then I would pick out some of the old walled towns but have the route planned out carefully and accomodation pre booked for September still a busy holiday time in the UK. Driving times on UK roads to some of the places suggested to you are a no go at a rate of 2-3 hours per day.
At least by train you can be on holiday....
Will investigate a rail ticket, hadn't thought of it, although it might be difficult to convince to do it. He would have a hard time giving up a vehicle as you have far more freedom that way. We'd have no problem doing longer drives if needed to get to certain spots, although wouldn't want to drive 5 hours every day.

When we toured new Zealand we travelled on average about 3-4 hours each day for the 8 days we were there. That wasn't a problem for us and we actually enjoyed the drives. We even had our two little kids (under 6) at the time. This trip we'll be without the kids which will help a lot!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:19 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Based on all the suggestions you have had, you might want your OH to book extra time off

But seriously, you have to go to the South Downs, that's where I'm from and they're luurvvly!!
Oh, come off it!

I'm also from that neck of the woods. The South Downs are nice, mainly on the scarp slopes, but they are hardly one of England's gems.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Will investigate a rail ticket, hadn't thought of it, although it might be difficult to convince to do it. He would have a hard time giving up a vehicle as you have far more freedom that way. We'd have no problem doing longer drives if needed to get to certain spots, although wouldn't want to drive 5 hours every day.

When we toured new Zealand we travelled on average about 3-4 hours each day for the 8 days we were there. That wasn't a problem for us and we actually enjoyed the drives. We even had our two little kids (under 6) at the time. This trip we'll be without the kids which will help a lot!
I wouldn't try to use the train. Castles are usually at remote windswept spots without rail access. I'd join the National Trust in advance, that's like signing up for the annual National Parks pass in the US.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Oh, come off it!

I'm also from that neck of the woods. The South Downs are nice, mainly on the scarp slopes, but they are hardly one of England's gems.
We were at Beachy Head last year. I think that's gemic.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
I wouldn't try to use the train. Castles are usually at remote windswept spots without rail access. I'd join the National Trust in advance, that's like signing up for the annual National Parks pass in the US.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.