Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vacation in Canada prior to Emigrating - Any suggestions?

Vacation in Canada prior to Emigrating - Any suggestions?

Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Trehorn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vacation in Canada prior to Emigrating - Any suggestions?

Hi all,

We're in the very early stages of the immigration process but have a holiday planned to Ontario for the end of July.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions of anything we could do while in the country which may help with our application.

We're over to see my wifes sister and kids but would like to make the most of our visit. I've already thought of things such as dropping my CV off with a few firms while over here but if anyone has any additional advice it would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks in advance and a happy Christmas to all.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:21 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Vacation in Canada prior to Emigrating - Any suggestions?

If you haven't done so already, join up with LinkedIn.....apparently networking is important in Canada.

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

dm112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stay away from bar fights and drug dealers. It wont make your application move faster but should increase your chances of it going through
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:26 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
If you haven't done so already, join up with LinkedIn.....apparently networking is important in Canada.
In person, face to face networking. Relying in the Internet is why many have so few responses to job application. I signed up to LinkedIn years ago and don't use it at all.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:35 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Aviator
In person, face to face networking. Relying in the Internet is why many have so few responses to job application. I signed up to LinkedIn years ago and don't use it at all.
Can be useful though, OH was looked up by the company he now works for
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:40 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on your industry but LinkedIn is very useful. Got me my current job and rarely a month goes by where I don't get an interview offer through it.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Assume you've read this, but just in case..........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Scouting_Trip-Canada

HTH.
Old Dec 25th 2012, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Can be useful though, OH was looked up by the company he now works for
LinkedIn can be useful. I've heard that employers are starting to ask for a resume OR your LinkedIn profile. So it really can't hurt to have it up to date.

I've had cold calls from recruiters browsing LinkedIn profiles.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario is a large place, so when researching it helps to be specific about where in Ontario you plan to go to. Don't underestimate driving/travel times from one part of Ontario to other areas. Here's a comparison map of Ontario vs. the UK and you'll see what I mean:

http://mapfrappe.com/?show=7941

Last edited by Lychee; Dec 26th 2012 at 5:08 am.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

hamazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lychee
Ontario is a large place, so when researching it helps to be specific about where in Ontario you plan to go to. Don't underestimate driving/travel times from one part of Ontario to other areas. Here's a comparison map of Ontario vs. the UK and you'll see what I mean:

http://mapfrappe.com/?show=7941

nice comparison, always wondered whether it was twice or three times the size of the uk. also like this one
http://mapfrappe.com/?show=1597

alot of people forget canada is bigger than europe, and each province is the size of multiple countries.

hamazz
Old Dec 27th 2012, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

It looks a little different though if you show were people actually live:

http://mapfrappe.com/?show=7948
Old Dec 31st 2012, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

Fact finding and holiday are different holiday would be your around BC seeing as many places as you can fit in, jobs work Alberta low tax(GST) depends on job you want? Toronto area as well
Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter
Fact finding and holiday are different holiday would be your around BC seeing as many places as you can fit in, jobs work Alberta low tax(GST) depends on job you want? Toronto area as well
Old Jan 1st 2013, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your help guys. Sorry for the delay in responding. A busy Christmas.

Happy New Year to all by the way.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Well, took my EILTS test last week. Seemed to go ok. Should get the results next week. Fingers crossed.

I wondered if anyone had any knowlege of working as a carpenter in Ontario. In the UK we have the CSCS card which basically proves that you have the knowlege to work within the industry safely. I assume that Canada have a similar system in place? I don't suppose that anyone could tell me the name of it and if I can take the test in the UK before we come out?

I haven't worked on the tools full time for a few years but I have pretty much refurbished our house and garden as well as loads of work for family and friends. I know this is no substitute for doing the job for a living on a full time basis but I would rather go back on the tools than go for a quantity surveying role which has been paying the bills for the last few years.

I know I would probably have to take a lower wage for the first few months until I've built up my experience again and proved myself but hopefully this will get my foot on the ladder and lead on to bigger and better things.

I wondered if people could give any advice in if they think this would be a good way of staring out.

Thanks muchly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.