Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Using UK power tools on the building site in Canada?

Using UK power tools on the building site in Canada?

Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using UK power tools on the building site in Canada?

Originally Posted by Powermantic
In such case I simply have no choice but to sell
If you, Simon, say that they are cheaper there, and considering that staff is heavy weight I will most probably benefit from selling my kit and buying new one upon arrival.
This website is just great - so much information....
Thank you all for answering my question!!!
Hi Powermantic

Just ship your hand tools ( non power ) and for all your power tools its best to ebay them before you get to Canada and use the money towards a new set of gear.

regards
Joinerboy
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Powermantic is an unknown quantity at this point

OK then - it seems I have two choices - 1) using my tools at home only; 2) selling all power tools, but shipping hand tools over.
Case of shipping my power tools is probably out of question now, as I will have to buy new set of staff for construction site, there is no need to pay for expensive shipping of heavy power tools and just to end up using them at home.

Thank you ALL once more!!! You have been of great help!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

its not just voltage.. its the frequency.. uk is 50hz, canada 60hz.

if you bring tools that have a motor from the uk to canada for home use they wont last long if you are using a transformer to change the voltage. basically mains power is a nice smooth AC wave. most transformers output a AC square wave, this knackers the motors..
and you cant use 110v 50hz tools on a 110v 60hz supply.. plus they wont be allowed on site. plus tools are dirt cheap here. sell yours and buy new here.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice is to bring them along and see for yourself.
A lot of people try to help, and often give advice that is wrong/inaccurate (myself included).
There are no laws to stop you from bringing them, and there are no Liability issues in the event of an accident. At worst, even if you cant use them on site, you can use them at home.

Your tools may already meet the CSA standard- see for yourself from the link provided. There doesnt seem to be anything too onerous- things like guards, etc, which you'd expect.
I'd imagine you probably wont get much if you sell them back home, so you dont really have much to lose by bringing them over...
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:00 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
its not just voltage.. its the frequency.. uk is 50hz, canada 60hz.

if you bring tools that have a motor from the uk to canada for home use they wont last long if you are using a transformer to change the voltage. basically mains power is a nice smooth AC wave. most transformers output a AC square wave, this knackers the motors..
and you cant use 110v 50hz tools on a 110v 60hz supply.. plus they wont be allowed on site. plus tools are dirt cheap here. sell yours and buy new here.
+1

All my UK power tools ran off transformers here for a year or so, and one by one they burned out. At best you gain a little breathing space to replace them.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jericho
My advice is to bring them along and see for yourself.
A lot of people try to help, and often give advice that is wrong/inaccurate (myself included).
There are no laws to stop you from bringing them, and there are no Liability issues in the event of an accident. At worst, even if you cant use them on site, you can use them at home.

Your tools may already meet the CSA standard- see for yourself from the link provided. There doesnt seem to be anything too onerous- things like guards, etc, which you'd expect.
I'd imagine you probably wont get much if you sell them back home, so you dont really have much to lose by bringing them over...
trust me, anything that runs from a motor will have its life shortened lots by using it with a transformer..
motors like a smooth AC current, the square wave from transformers causes a lot of wear on the motors. like the person above said they seem to die within a year if used here. anything you get for selling them is better than bringing them and finding they burn out..

this isnt advice, its science.. google it if you want confirmation. or do a search here and see the numerous threads where people have had tools burn out.
plus transformers are horribly inefficient. use a lot more electricity than just the item they are running.

meeting the CSA standard is not enough, everything on work sites here must have the CSA stamp on it. i couldnt even use UK steel toe cap boots here when i needed to work in a factory. they had all the EU stamps but thats not good enough. the boots i bought were identical, but had the correct stamp and i was good to go.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Powermantic is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to every one of you!!!
I made my mind now - my tools are in very good condition, so I am sure I can ebay them or even will be able to sell them among friends.
Taking them to Canada will be similar to gambling or playing a lottery - the end result will be uncertain.
As I understood, many of the respondents to my thread had their own. sadly. bad experience with UK tools that either can't be used on Canadian site or simply burn in the short time.
Thank you for sharing your experiences with me - I will sell the whole lot in the UK.

Last edited by Powermantic; Jan 22nd 2010 at 10:27 pm. Reason: mistake
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
trust me, anything that runs from a motor will have its life shortened lots by using it with a transformer..
motors like a smooth AC current, the square wave from transformers causes a lot of wear on the motors. like the person above said they seem to die within a year if used here. anything you get for selling them is better than bringing them and finding they burn out..

this isnt advice, its science.. google it if you want confirmation. or do a search here and see the numerous threads where people have had tools burn out.
plus transformers are horribly inefficient. use a lot more electricity than just the item they are running.

meeting the CSA standard is not enough, everything on work sites here must have the CSA stamp on it. i couldnt even use UK steel toe cap boots here when i needed to work in a factory. they had all the EU stamps but thats not good enough. the boots i bought were identical, but had the correct stamp and i was good to go.
That's an interesting response. All of the electricity on every grid system in the world is transformed at some stage - Never heard it produce a 'square wave'. Inverters do but thats about it. In the UK the utilities do not produce 110v ac for power tools you have to have a step down transformer which is mandatory on industrial sites - them big yellow cumbersome things. What can happen is the supply can have harmonics in it which can be minimised by the use of filters etc. Power quality is not very good in Canada and electronic devices can often get damaged if they don't have a surge suppressor - highly recommended in Canada. Using a 50hz powered tool on a 60hz powered tool runs the motor at 20% over speed if the speed is not electronically governed. It can also affect the impedance of the device. I have about 8 transformers powering UK equipment and had no problems in 3 years. The transformers are CE approved.

Last edited by getoutofbritainquick; Jan 22nd 2010 at 11:40 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

I run a number a teams on construction sites doing flooring. Uk power tools will not be allowed as they do not have the CSA stamp on them, anything that does not have the csa stamp you can not use, and they do carry out spot checks all the time on larger sites.

cordless tools are also not used over here half as much a the uk, you would not believe the amount of cables they run out all over the sites, no way would you get away with that back in the Uk.

You can buy canadian chargers for you cordless tools but the charges on their own cost almost as much as a complete tool set.

110 & 220 is also on most sites however most 220 is for large equipment only. very few gen sets are used to power sites, sites go on to mains via splitter boxes very early on to provide all site power.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

English electricals have been the subject of many discussions on here. It has been said that from a Home Insurance viewpoint.....it may invalidate your insurance if something happens and you need to make a claim. I should imagine that similar considerations will be given for the work place and UK power tools. Just a thought to be considered.

If I have got this a... about face....someone will be along to tell us....I am sure.
Good luck
Stef

Originally Posted by Powermantic
Hello everyone – My PR application has been approved recently and I am starting to plan my move. Being a carpenter in the UK, I wonder if I can use my power tools in Canada. Perhaps some of you work in trades or even shipped your tools from UK?
Will they work in Canada? If so, is it better to ship my staff or will I be better off by selling them here and buying new kit once in Canada?
Any advice will be highly appreciated, thanks!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
it may invalidate your insurance if something happens and you need to make a claim.f
Please... for the love of all that is Holy... please stop repeating this nonsense.

This is exactly what I mean about people trying to help but giving wrong advice.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, That is what everyone is saying....I do not speak with any authority and people can double check other sources ....as I said it was what has been said on here many times. Everyone knows the world over, that if an insurance company can wriggle out of a claim...they will do....that much is not disputed. Why would you not belive it of Canada?
Stef

Originally Posted by jericho
Please... for the love of all that is Holy... please stop repeating this nonsense.

This is exactly what I mean about people trying to help but giving wrong advice.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Scotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really nice

I certainly found tools cheaper here im a sheet metal worker and brought my bosch cordless drill but batterey charger didnt work. That cost me £250 pounds. Over here i got a cordless Dewalt Drill,Impact driver,Jigsaw,And reciprocating saw for $400 from home depot
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:22 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotty boy
I certainly found tools cheaper here im a sheet metal worker and brought my bosch cordless drill but batterey charger didnt work. That cost me £250 pounds. Over here i got a cordless Dewalt Drill,Impact driver,Jigsaw,And reciprocating saw for $400 from home depot

I know my OH has found that tools don't seem to last as long here - always breaking down - even the more expensive ones.