British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Using UK power tools on the building site in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/using-uk-power-tools-building-site-canada-648894/)

Powermantic Jan 12th 2010 11:05 pm

Using UK power tools on the building site in Canada?

Hello everyone – My PR application has been approved recently and I am starting to plan my move. Being a carpenter in the UK, I wonder if I can use my power tools in Canada. Perhaps some of you work in trades or even shipped your tools from UK?
Will they work in Canada? If so, is it better to ship my staff or will I be better off by selling them here and buying new kit once in Canada?
Any advice will be highly appreciated, thanks!!!;)

AmyDavid Jan 12th 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Using UK power tools on the building site in Canada?

Originally Posted by Powermantic (Post 8243155)
Hello everyone – My PR application has been approved recently and I am starting to plan my move. Being a carpenter in the UK, I wonder if I can use my power tools in Canada. Perhaps some of you work in trades or even shipped your tools from UK?
Will they work in Canada? If so, is it better to ship my staff or will I be better off by selling them here and buying new kit once in Canada?

I seem to recall that you are most definately NOT allowed to use UK power tools on canadian job sites.

Powermantic Jan 12th 2010 11:18 pm

Thanks for such a fast answer AmyDavid - then I might have to sell them...
Lets see if someone else has anything to say - some people say it is possible to use power transformers and plug adapters in Canada, but the lot is so heavy that I am actually thinking I will be better off selling them here, then adding shipping costs to the money I make, and that will probably provide me with a new set in Canada :)

Alan2005 Jan 12th 2010 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Powermantic (Post 8243177)
Thanks for such a fast answer AmyDavid - then I might have to sell them...
Lets see if someone else has anything to say - some people say it is possible to use power transformers and plug adapters in Canada, but the lot is so heavy that I am actually thinking I will be better off selling them here, then adding shipping costs to the money I make, and that will probably provide me with a new set in Canada :)

There's using them in your own house and theres using them in a place of work. I'd be surprised if this is going to be allowed.

Mr Bean Jan 12th 2010 11:40 pm

I gave all mine away before I moved and bought all new ones. I kitted myself out in full with De Walt. Utter shite. Go with Makita if I was you as I've replaced half of my kit already and I've only been working on and off for about 18 months. The Makita stuff is really nice kit.

Aviator Jan 12th 2010 11:48 pm

Although your tools may work with transformers etc. there are regulations about tools being used on job sites and being CSA approved, rules set by the Workers Compensation Board, liability insurance may be an issue too if you have to file a claim. You can apply to have them stamped when you get here, but the cost and hassle (especially if CSA won't approve them) you might as well buy new. Milwaukee make some of the best tools over here, not cheap mind.

Powermantic Jan 12th 2010 11:56 pm

Thank you all !!!
It looks like it is easier and less headache to sell my tools - a bit sad though...
Yes, I use DeWalt, Panasonic, First Tool…. Just name it. Over the time I found that every manufacturer made a particular tool, which is best. Thus, I love my Trend Router, my First Tool Skil saw, my Panasonic drill driver (do recommend it!!!) and have some DeWalt’s and Makita’s too…. Sad to let go of them, all served me really well:(

JonboyE Jan 13th 2010 12:04 am

If you do decide to ship your tools over don't forget that you can only import personal goods tax free. Any tools of the trade are subject to tax and duty.

getoutofbritainquick Jan 13th 2010 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Powermantic (Post 8243155)

Are your tools 240 or 110V? I thought UK work sites required 110V Power tools for safety reasons. the last job I had in the UK we was not allowed to use 240V equipment.

Powermantic Jan 13th 2010 12:29 am

Yes - tools used on the UK site are 110V - a friend who lives in Canada told me that it is same in Canada - but I just wonder will they be adaptable, will I be allowed to use them, or maybe someone else will be able to answer the question 100%, as I am still hoping there are some recent migrants out there , who know the trade but also remember how it works in UK.
Considering the shipping costs and taxes it may be best to just sell them then, as I mentioned earlier, add to that sum the shipping costs and taxes (as if I paid them), and purchase new tools upon arrival - probably same money spent but less headache:confused:

Aviator Jan 13th 2010 1:09 am

Your best bet then is to contact the Workers Compensation Board in the province you are going to and also contact CSA for a definitive answer. These are the only bodies able to answer 100%.

As you seem to doubt what has been said thus far you could also peruse this:
http://www2.worksafebc.com/Publicati...ion/Part12.asp

Lots of mention of CSA in there.

JonboyE Jan 13th 2010 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Powermantic (Post 8243288)
will I be allowed to use them

NO

or maybe someone else will be able to answer the question 100%
100% NO

kirstya Jan 13th 2010 5:55 am

everythings 110v in Canada so all 110 power tools work good.. the only trouble is the 240v cordless stuff .. the chargers wont work , well not my ones anyway. And yeah i loved the panasonic drill driver too.

anyway
as for being allowed or not .. well how many times did you ever get your tools checked in the UK and get the sticker , in 10yrs i can think of once.
Its up to you, been here 14 months and so far it hasnt even been mentioned anywhere about tools being whatsoever approved or anything, in fact we had some safety check thing the other day , the chap just glaced at the leads said all is good and went on his merry way.

So its on your head.
If it doesnt cost you too much bring them over with you , then you wont have to fork out to much right away on all the new kit, but then also the toyshops are alot cheaper here.

So in short
Yes they work here, but its not allowed.

Simon

Powermantic Jan 13th 2010 7:13 am

In such case I simply have no choice but to sell
If you, Simon, say that they are cheaper there, and considering that staff is heavy weight I will most probably benefit from selling my kit and buying new one upon arrival.
This website is just great - so much information....
Thank you all for answering my question!!!:thumbup:

pacepeter Jan 21st 2010 3:52 am

for how much you would get in uk bring them to use at home if you cannot use them on site 110volt is ok you might need to get them PAK tested to use them on construction site your safety officer on the site has the final word