Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Using my UK mobile number in Vancouver, BC

Using my UK mobile number in Vancouver, BC

Old Mar 11th 2019, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using my UK mobile number in Vancouver, BC

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Why not just use WhatsApp? It's free.
I do use Watsapp for messaging/calling relatives abroad, including Canada. No probs!

I also currently use GOOGLE TALK for making calls to and within North America for FREE! I created a new google account whilst i was in Canada last time 2017 and topped it up with $10.
Costs 2p per minute to call UK from Canada or within UK from my account. I have $0.02 left in my account
I was told by an expat to create the account whilst i was in Canada so that when i got back to UK i wouldn't be charged for calls to Canada. If you set up the account from UK, you will be charged for North American calls
Works great! Except i don't have a phone number to give to others to call me.

I am going to Canada next week job hunting and recce and wanted to give employers a local number to contact me. Going for just under 3 weeks
I was thinking of getting a local PAYG sim, and use Canadian network (Would have to pay for roaming with my UK provider) for the time i'll be there

Would you recommend this as best option for employers and professional image? If so, anyone suggest a good Tariff? (Going to BC)

i dont need data as i can get wifi from the accommodation where i will be staying and whilst i am out and about
Old Mar 11th 2019, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I would spend $50 on a Koodo prepaid month ($10 to buy the SIM at the moment from a Koodo kiosk in a Mall). You will get $5 discount when you activate, so $45+ tax + $10 for the sim.

This is for a month of unlimited Canada-wide talk unlimited text and 4GB data, so this should be plenty.

Cheaper deals are available with no data, but coverage may be limited and/or very low minutes included and no data, and add-ons will take you up to and past that $50, so $50 for your future is $50 well spent....

Just make sure your phone is unlocked BEFORE you leave the UK...
Old Mar 11th 2019, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC
I do use Watsapp for messaging/calling relatives abroad, including Canada. No probs!

I also currently use GOOGLE TALK for making calls to and within North America for FREE! I created a new google account whilst i was in Canada last time 2017 and topped it up with $10.
Costs 2p per minute to call UK from Canada or within UK from my account. I have $0.02 left in my account
I was told by an expat to create the account whilst i was in Canada so that when i got back to UK i wouldn't be charged for calls to Canada. If you set up the account from UK, you will be charged for North American calls

I am going to Canada next week job hunting and recce and wanted to give employers a local number to contact me. Going for just under 3 weeks
I was thinking of getting a local PAYG sim, and use Canadian network (Would have to pay for roaming with my UK provider) for the time i'll be there

Would you recommend this as best option for employers and professional image? If so, anyone suggest a good Tariff? (Going to BC)

i dont need data as i can get wifi from the accommodation where i will be staying and whilst i am out and about
Just this weekend I have signed up for one of the services listed earlier in this thread, https://www.aitelephone.com/callforw...istration.html

I now have a Canadian number for $7 per month which routes to my U.K. mobile. When I move to Canada, I will use the same service the other way round too.

I had two relatives try it from Canada today, they said it was just like they were calling any other number - boom straight on my resume and job search sites
Old Mar 12th 2019, 5:12 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This has been discussed before on BE..... are you intending on telling the potential employers that you are residing overseas or is the Canadian number to try to give them the impression that you are actually here? Not a good idea.. apart from being somewhat dishonest and misleading.. if you get called for an interview with a day or perhaps less notice (something that does happen) how are you going to get around that if they think you are in Canada?

Here's a couple of threads on the same subject that might be of interest.. Finding a job before moving to Canada?
Job search from the UK

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 12th 2019 at 5:22 am.
Old Mar 16th 2019, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
This has been discussed before on BE..... are you intending on telling the potential employers that you are residing overseas or is the Canadian number to try to give them the impression that you are actually here? Not a good idea.. apart from being somewhat dishonest and misleading.. if you get called for an interview with a day or perhaps less notice (something that does happen) how are you going to get around that if they think you are in Canada?

Here's a couple of threads on the same subject that might be of interest.. Finding a job before moving to Canada?
Job search from the UK

No.
My UK address will be on my resume so they'll know i am not a Canadian resident

I was really looking for the best phone deal where they could contact me without me paying over the odds to receive their calls
I can call them for free already
Old Mar 16th 2019, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brooks52

Just this weekend I have signed up for one of the services listed earlier in this thread, https://www.aitelephone.com/callforw...istration.html

I now have a Canadian number for $7 per month which routes to my U.K. mobile. When I move to Canada, I will use the same service the other way round too.

I had two relatives try it from Canada today, they said it was just like they were calling any other number - boom straight on my resume and job search sites
Thanks for sharing this

Are there No extra charges for you at all like data usage??

What about costs for Canadian's phoning you?
Is it a local call for them irrespective of the province that they live in?

Last edited by FromUKtoBC; Mar 16th 2019 at 3:28 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2019, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice

Thanks for sharing this

Are there No extra charges for you at all like data usage??

What about costs for Canadian's phoning you?
Is it a local call for them irrespective of the province that they live in?
You can select which province you want, then city. I selected Vancouver so have a 778 number. It’s weird over there, most things are long distance and most plans over there include long distance.

Ive just come to the end of the free one week trial and I’ve used about 20 minutes of people calling me for free. After that I think I get 78 minutes for the $7. You can pay more for more minutes and SMS etc, but I don’t expect many calls or sms.

It’s all on that link, it’s easy enough to set up. Someone called 2 days after I registered to verify my details, then I had instant access to the number.
Old Mar 16th 2019, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

The customer service seems good too, I’ve had emails like this too showing they are looking out for any setup issues and warning me about the free trial period ending etc. I’ve never had such a smooth ride with Vodafone or EE

edit - can’t seem to attach the screenshot of the email

Last edited by Brooks52; Mar 16th 2019 at 7:28 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

The customer service seems good too, I’ve had emails like this too showing they are looking out for any setup issues and warning me about the free trial period ending etc. I’ve never had such a smooth ride with Vodafone or EE

edit - can’t seem to attach the screenshot of the email
Yes customer services seems ok.

BUT... on the receiving end from my UK provider, I AM DEFINITELY BEING CHARGED FOR RECEIVING CALLS made by Canadians via the VIRTUAL NUMBER

I had the virtual number forwarded to a PAYG sim and deliberately for this purpose
I had two test calls from my relatives yesterday and some of my PAYG credit was used up, ca. £2pp!!

Phoned o2 before i came to UK and they advised that i wouldnt be charged as long as i dont leave my voicemail on to receive the Call Forwarded messages

Phoned them again this morning and i was told that i was defrauding o2 by using Virtual number to bypass their system!!!

Long story short, i got them to refund all the minutes/credit that was used up from my PAYG and to give me compensation on top of that for time and effort taken me before leaving UK and whilst in Canada seeking advise from them about receiving calls via the virtual number. Initially, they told me that i would not be charged. They gave £10 on top of £5 credit used!

AI telephone.com also confirmed this morning that they have definitely charged me for receiving the test phone calls

I am now back to my original plan A of getting a local Canadian sim or PAYG local monthly package because i need to get that number out there pretty quickly to employers
Unless something else comes up....

And, re virtual calls, i thought the quality of FREE googleTalk was much better! Spoke to Canadians using that since i arrived
Old Mar 20th 2019, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Phoned them again this morning and i was told that i was defrauding o2 by using Virtual number to bypass their system!!!

Long story short, i got them to refund all the minutes/credit that was used up from my PAYG and to give me compensation on top of that for time and effort taken me before leaving UK and whilst in Canada seeking advise from them about receiving calls via the virtual number. Initially, they told me that i would not be charged. They gave £10 on top of £5 credit used!

AI telephone.com also confirmed this morning that they have definitely charged me for receiving the test phone calls
***Sorry, my info above meant to say:

- advice from o2 BEFORE i came to Canada
- AI Telephone confirmed that they definitely NOT charged me for the test calls whilst i am on my free trial
Old Mar 20th 2019, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

BUT... on the receiving end from my UK provider, I AM DEFINITELY BEING CHARGED FOR RECEIVING CALLS made by Canadians via the VIRTUAL NUMBER

I had the virtual number forwarded to a PAYG sim and deliberately for this purpose
I had two test calls from my relatives yesterday and some of my PAYG credit was used up, ca. £2pp!!

Phoned o2 before i came to UK and they advised that i wouldnt be charged as long as i dont leave my voicemail on to receive the Call Forwarded messages

I am now back to my original plan A of getting a local Canadian sim or PAYG local monthly package because i need to get that number out there pretty quickly to employers
Unless something else comes up....

And, re virtual calls, i thought the quality of FREE googleTalk was much better! Spoke to Canadians using that since i arrived
That’s really interesting. I’m on GiffGaff who use O2’s infrastructure, yet no charges. I am on a £10 per month pre-pay sim only deal with them and haven’t had any issues.

Now im a bit confused though, O2 admitted they made a mistake and refunded you? Also with a Canadian sim, you will still get charged for receiving calls to a U.K. cell if diverted, or roaming if you use the sim right?
Old Mar 20th 2019, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

That’s really interesting. I’m on GiffGaff who use O2’s infrastructure, yet no charges. I am on a £10 per month pre-pay sim only deal with them and haven’t had any issues.

Now im a bit confused though, O2 admitted they made a mistake and refunded you? Also with a Canadian sim, you will still get charged for receiving calls to a U.K. cell if diverted, or roaming if you use the sim right?
Not sure about being charged with Canadian sim call forwarding - dont think so because i would have used it for Canadian calls only

Not sure why you haven't been charged with Giffgaff but quite frankly it doesnt cost cell providers for calls to be made worldwide!
i used to get FREE inclusive international calls in my landline packages years ago to landline and cell!!

Anyway, upshot of this morning is:
PAYG
- o2 refunded me £5 used up for receiving virtual calls because they told me that i would not be charged
- paid me £10 'compensation' because i asked for compensation for them wasting my holiday time before travelling and since being here

SIM ONLY:
Since my last entry above, after a bit of head-scratching and the need to sort something out like yesterday, i checked skype and the virtualphone.com (suggested above), looked at EE as a possibility but decided to go back to o2 and get them to FIX IT! and sort out the mess that they help to create due to misinformation and ill-advice

They have now upgraded me from my £12/month tariff to £20/month tariff ONLY for a month and especially whilst i am in Canada. I will revert back to my original Tarriff 18 April
This new tariff gives me Roaming: 120 minutes calls/day (make/receive); 120 texts/day; unlimited data usage (but with fair usage - they couldn't tell me what they meant?!? but thought maybe a cap of 10gb/day?)

Diaried for the same person to phone me 18th April to make sure my tariff is changed accordingly

Old Mar 28th 2019, 4:19 pm
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute

If you have any iphone you can just turn off your GSM settings and keep your phone hooked only onto the WiFi (not sure about data). You phone can then be answered on any iphone via your apple cloud account.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

I have a dual sim phone here with a US sim and a UK one, i've been roaming on my UK Three PAYG sim for 3 years in Canada and USA and it still works just fine, as long as you make a chargeable event (call or text) every 6 months it'll stay active. I don't answer calls to it, I just like to keep a UK number, it's essential for things like receiving 2 step verification texts from UK things like banks etc. If I need to make calls to the UK I use Skype, sometimes the other end has a hard time hearing but generally it works ok, you can buy a virtual number from Skype to receive calls from regular landlines and mobiles.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a dual SIM phone as well. It's useful for UK institutions who need to text codes etc and for other stuff as well.

I use it less frequently than I used to: WhatsApp is very main stream these days.