Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Used Cars - Toronto

Used Cars - Toronto

Old Mar 13th 2012, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

katenoza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Used Cars - Toronto

Like the title says, where is the best place to look for a 2nd hand car in Toronto?
Also, what advice would you guys give to buying used in Canada?

Is it like the UK or is it different?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:16 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Used Cars - Toronto

Lots of used car sales places you can go see cars for sale. Also kijiji or Automart for a private sale. New dealerships have part ex bargains at the back of the lot. Mostly the same as in UK.

Car will need a safety and emmision cirt before you can plate and tag it.

You will find most vehicles will be Auto box not stck shift here. Although stick shift can be found easy enough.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

In my personal opinion, the best deals are private sales. I always try to get a 5 year old car that has a max of approx 60,000 miles (100,000 km) from the original owner. Usually these cars have been well looked after and are in good condition.

Some people like to buy from a dealer because of warranty, cooling off period, comprehensive inspection, financing, etc. However you will end up paying more.

Whatever you decide, you may want to look outside of Toronto as you might get a better deal.

These links should be useful:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...d.shtml#buying

http://www.life-in-toronto.com/used-cars-canada.html
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

When I bought mine a year or so ago I used mainly www.autotrader.ca to narrow down the model(s) I was interested in and get a feeling for the upper and lower prices across the market. Then when I decided on the final model I wanted to get I compared it across several places then emailed them all to see how flexible they were etc. and then once I found a place that had the model I wanted in the colour, extras etc. I went there to check it out and test drive it. So I went in knowing how much was acceptable to pay for it, well researched so I knew exactly what I was looking for, rather than having a dealer or whomever trying to sell me something I didn't want or upsell me etc. In the end I knew more about the car than the guy did but I went with the intention of buying that specific car at that particular price and it was mostly just contingent on inspecting it to make sure it was in good shape and driving it to make sure it drove as expected. All in all it was pretty much an in out thing.
I found that it was a pretty competitive market, most dealers were matching each others prices because you could easily compare on the internet, rather than having to physically visit each dealer to compare so it was easy to find the best deal. I also got a feel for availability, i.e. the model was not too rare, and there was a steady influx so I didn't have to make a rush decision to get it and I could wait a little bit for them to drop the price then get it a few thousand cheaper than when they first came in etc. Although I found most places now, due to the competition and price comparing, were advertising already discounted prices and wouldn't come down even if you walked away, but on ther other hand I know their posted price was already a good deal based on the market.
I ended up getting an ex rental, so pretty high Kms but only 1 year old so still under warranty and with a service record and new tires etc. inspected by the dealer. A year or so later no problems with the car, followed manufacturers service plan while it is still under warranty and that has kept it running nice.
The actual dealer I used in the end was this place: http://www.gorruds.com/index.htm
I am in Toronto but it was a short drive up the 401 to Milton to check it out and it was where the deal was. Nice place, lots of cars and they were friendly and not pushy. They have a little monopoly up there also owning a Toyota and Hyundai dealership.
I was tempted by private sales, slightly cheaper but I just wanted to go get something I knew was 100% legit, given the recent profiling of curbsiders etc. in toronto and dodgy used cars.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you research the laws as it's very different to the uk.
Instead of MOT there's a safety certificate, there's also emissions testing, paying HST on top of the asking price if its a private sale and UVIP's (used vehicle information packages).
Look for guides online as it can be pretty confusing as it is very different buying privatly compared to from a dealer.

We got a great deal at a public car auction. We bought a jeep for under 4k that would usually have cost 7+
http://www.northtorontoauction.com/main.cfm
It is a bit of a risk because you dont know exactly whats in store and they don't come with a safety cert, but you can get a good look at the cars before hand and there is a huge number sold (in the hundreds on the day).

Last edited by DanielM; Mar 15th 2012 at 2:53 am.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:20 am

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanielM
Make sure you research the laws as it's very different to the uk.
Instead of MOT there's a safety certificate.
Not the same really, the safety only needs doing once when you first own the vehicle, were as an MOT is every year.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

But how long does it take to get it plated and tagged? What is tagged?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by YYZlover
But how long does it take to get it plated and tagged? What is tagged?
You can get the plates and tag in an hr at any mto office.

The tag is similar to a car tax disc. Its a small square decal that sticks on your plate. They are renued on your birthday. They last for one or two years and cost approx $75 ish a year.

The plate is in your name and stays with you if u like. So if you sell your old reliant Regal and buy a new Robin then you can keep the plate. Woo hoo
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:48 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by magnumpi

The tag is similar to a car tax disc. Its a small square decal that sticks on your plate. They are renued on your birthday. They last for one or two years and cost approx $75 ish a year.

The plate is in your name and stays with you if u like. So if you sell your old reliant Regal and buy a new Robin then you can keep the plate. Woo hoo
Do they have a big following in canada? should I import one of those in my container?

I remember going down the M6 in one as a passenger doing 100mph, the looks of the faces of the people in the cars we were overtaking, to a man the driver looked down to check there own speed in case they were daudling along. Very funny. Very scary!
Old Mar 16th 2012, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

So I go to MTO get a disk and a tag, find suitable car, have it e-tested and certified, put plates on an off I go (ofcourse having sorted out insurance too).

Correct?
Old Mar 16th 2012, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So I go to MTO get a disk and a tag, find suitable car, have it e-tested and certified, put plates on an off I go (ofcourse having sorted out insurance too).

Correct?
No, once you have bought the car you take the bill of sale to obtain the plate and tag as this will be registered against the car. Then you return to the vehicle to put the plate on. That's how it works in Alberta anyhoo. You need insurance to obtain the tag.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
No, once you have bought the car you take the bill of sale to obtain the plate and tag as this will be registered against the car. Then you return to the vehicle to put the plate on. That's how it works in Alberta anyhoo. You need insurance to obtain the tag.
Yuuup

Ya got to buy the car first. Then do all of the above + insure it.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Yuuup

Ya got to buy the car first. Then do all of the above + insure it.
Sooo, find car in Ajax (for example) buy it, find MTO, get plates, tags, get insurance. Go back to seller, put plates on car, drive off. What says the seller hasn't sold the car to someone else while doing this?
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sooo, find car in Ajax (for example) buy it, find MTO, get plates, tags, get insurance. Go back to seller, put plates on car, drive off. What says the seller hasn't sold the car to someone else while doing this?
You can't get the plates etc., without being in possession of the ownership document. And the previous owner can't sell it (again) without same. Don't worry about that happening, it can't.

By the way, I drive past a second hand car dealership on Keele north of 7 on my way to work everyday. I always think of you.

The place is called "YYZ Auto Sales".
Old Mar 17th 2012, 12:04 pm

Yep you got it now.

+ What Novo said, they cant sell it twice as you will have the ownership docs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.