Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

USC in Canada, and Report of birth abroad Q...

USC in Canada, and Report of birth abroad Q...

Old Apr 9th 2011, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Tiggilicious is an unknown quantity at this point
Question USC in Canada, and Report of birth abroad Q...

My common-law spouse has been in Canada for a year and a half now (Im a Cdn citizen) , on an extended visitor visa (we have put in for his 2nd extension request and are on implied status at the moment), as his PR to Canada is processing in Buffalo as an Outland application with me sponsoring him.

We have a 15 month old daughter together, and we called the consulate to finally get the ball rolling on her report abroad papers in Halifax.
We have all the papers pretty much ready to go, but since I have only been separated from my ex-husband for over 3 years now and my divorce still isnt final, they are probably going to want a paternity test on our daughter, since she was 1) born out of wedlock; and 2) since I am still technically only separated from my exhusband, and not divorced.

Does anyone know how expensive it is to get this paternity test done? We asked the consulate, and they say IF we have to get one done, then we find out at the time. But we need to save up for it, and they would only give us a figure of between $100-$1000, which for us, is a big difference to save up for. I am just wondering if anyone had any experience on this, on how much it cost them if they were requested to do it?
Old Apr 9th 2011, 4:39 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USC in Canada, and Report of birth abroad Q...

Hi

Originally Posted by Tiggilicious
My common-law spouse has been in Canada for a year and a half now (Im a Cdn citizen) , on an extended visitor visa (we have put in for his 2nd extension request and are on implied status at the moment), as his PR to Canada is processing in Buffalo as an Outland application with me sponsoring him.

We have a 15 month old daughter together, and we called the consulate to finally get the ball rolling on her report abroad papers in Halifax.
We have all the papers pretty much ready to go, but since I have only been separated from my ex-husband for over 3 years now and my divorce still isnt final, they are probably going to want a paternity test on our daughter, since she was 1) born out of wedlock; and 2) since I am still technically only separated from my exhusband, and not divorced.

Does anyone know how expensive it is to get this paternity test done? We asked the consulate, and they say IF we have to get one done, then we find out at the time. But we need to save up for it, and they would only give us a figure of between $100-$1000, which for us, is a big difference to save up for. I am just wondering if anyone had any experience on this, on how much it cost them if they were requested to do it?

1. I assume the child was born in the US? So you wish to apply for proof of citizenship? I don't know why you have put it off, it is only $75.00
2. Citizenship doesn't care about the paternity as long as you were a Canadian citizen at the time of the child's birth.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 5:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The cost may depend on where you live but I found a couple - the one below charges US$299 for a "legal" test suitable for Immigration purposes.

http://www.dnacanada.com/

This one is C$480 for CIC approved testing - http://www.genetrackcanada.com/dna_i...ty_testing.php

You need to do a google search for legal or court approved / immigration approved paternity testing

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 9th 2011 at 5:21 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Our daughter is a Canadian citizen, she was born here in NS. Since my spouse is a US Citizen we wanted to get her US consular birth report abroad (or whatever you call it) papers So its the US consulate that are going to want this done. Do you know if the CIC approved one is also approved for the US consulate?
Old Apr 9th 2011, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

thanks for your help!
Old Apr 9th 2011, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...ship_5199.html

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 9th 2011 at 8:57 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 1:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

For information regarding obtaining US Citizenship for your child, see here

With regards to the DNA (Paternity) test, if it is required by USCIS then you would be sent information, it appears that USCIS requires DNA testing results to be performed in an ISO (International Organization for Standardization) and AABB (American Association of Blood Banks) accredited laboratory. Whilst they will "direct" your husband to a specific DNA testing centre he has the right to choose his own, provided they are accredited.

google has many links to dna centres for USCIS purposes.

To register your daughter, go to the nearest consulate and ask them to complete a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for you.

On January 3, 2011, the Department of State began issuing a new Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240). You may request multiple copies of this document at any time.

To get a certificate of Citizenship for your child, read this pdf for instructions and which forms you will need: http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrele...Act_022701.pdf

Edit: I just found this link on the Ottawa US Embassy website, for details on registering a birth abroad and what paperwork you will need to provide: http://canada.usembassy.gov/consular...th-abroad.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 10th 2011 at 1:21 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help! We got the new paperwork that they changed at the beginning of this year. Basically the Halifax consulate told us to download the new paperwork that came out for it, and mailed to us an envelope of a bunch of paperwork to fill out, with a checklist of items - and that once we are done it to call them back to make an appointment with them, and then we go from there. Thats when she said that since she's born out of wedlock , the officer MAY ask for the DNA test. Which we have no problem doing We just were hoping they would have known the cost so we could have it done while in Halifax at the consulate.

I remember someone telling me that we didn't have to do any of this, and to just apply for a US Passport showing proof my spouse is a US Citizen?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

One more question.. (sorry!!!)

What is the difference between a certificate of citizenship? Whats the difference between that and the CRBA? Do they both prove US Citizenship?
I notice ones more expensive than the other...
Old Apr 10th 2011, 7:31 pm
Banned

You would only be able to apply for a passport in the US, not in Canada, unfortunately.

"...You may also apply for a U.S. passport for your child (in lieu of a consular report of birth abroad) at a passport acceptance agency in the U.S. if that is a more convenient alternative..."

I don't know what the difference is, sorry - perhaps others can advise you.

With regards to proving the paternity, this is what the US Govt. website says:

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...ship_5199.html

Birth Abroad Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Father – “New” Section 309(a)

A person born abroad out-of-wedlock to a U.S. citizen father may acquire U.S. citizenship under Section 301(g) of the INA, as made applicable by the “new” Section 309(a) of the INA provided:

A blood relationship between the person and the father is established by clear and convincing evidence;

The father had the nationality of the United States at the time of the person’s birth;

The father was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions prior to the child’s birth for five years, at least two of which were after reaching the age of 14.

The father (unless deceased) has agreed in writing to provide financial support for the person until the person reaches the age of 18 years,

and

While the person is under the age of 18 years --

the person is legitimated under the law of his/her residence or domicile,

the father acknowledges paternity of the person in writing under oath,

or

the paternity of the person is established by adjudication of a competent court.

So it looks as though the dna test may be requested

USCIS specifically state that the DNA test must be done by an ISO and AABB (American Association of Blood Banks) accredited laboratory.

Here is one - http://www.genetrack.com/paternity - they are AABB accredited and they have a branch in Halifax http://www.genetrack.com/locations?find=NS however, you would need to call them to find out the cost. The only other one I could find is http://www.vita-tech.com/humanpaternity/paternity.htm - but you would need to call them to see if they have facilities near you.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 10th 2011 at 7:42 pm.