British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   USA Travel Question with expiring PR Card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/usa-travel-question-expiring-pr-card-897315/)

Tony_Tiger May 29th 2017 2:44 am

USA Travel Question with expiring PR Card

Im thinking of driving down from Calgary to Spokane. Im going for two days in July for a concert.
My British passport is fine, it expires in six years, but my PR Card expires in September. Can anyone see this being a issue with our US friends at the border? I have brown skin, I don't want to be shipped to Guantanimo and my bum buttered up.
I can't find anything on the customs site.

Anyone go any info on PR cards and US travel?

Hurlabrick May 29th 2017 9:59 am

Re: USA Travel Question with expiring PR Card

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger (Post 12262047)
Im thinking of driving down from Calgary to Spokane. Im going for two days in July for a concert.
My British passport is fine, it expires in six years, but my PR Card expires in September. Can anyone see this being a issue with our US friends at the border? I have brown skin, I don't want to be shipped to Guantanimo and my bum buttered up.

You won't have any trouble getting into the USA, it is getting back into Canada that could be a worry.

Having said that, a current PR card is only essential to get back in if you are travelling by any form of commercial carrier (esp. airlines). If as you suggest you are driving yourself (private car) over a Canadian land border, then you should be fine. Just take your original copy CoPR, expired card etc. and CBSA will check at the border.

A couple of more knowledgeable people will hopefully be along shortly to confirm my understanding.

Former Lancastrian May 29th 2017 10:09 am

You will need to apply for the I94 waiver and pay $6 USD when crossing into the USA. You should have no problems driving back into Canada as the PR card is still valid.You will need to take your passport.

Siouxie May 29th 2017 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger (Post 12262047)

Your PR card will still be valid, so there is no problem with re-entering Canada.

:)