Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

USA to Canada, opinions.

USA to Canada, opinions.

Old Jul 7th 2022, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Yorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow USA to Canada, opinions.

Hello Canadian Neighbors. (I'm in the US) I thought this would be better in the general area as it isn't really a factual statement in my opinion.

My wife always comments, "Well it's easier for you to move to Canada as you have a British passport" it was never really investigated as it wasn't on the agenda.

Is there any truth to this or not?

Have you made the move, USA>Canada, what are the pros and cons?

Share your experiences please and thank you.

Old Jul 7th 2022, 2:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA to Canada, opinions.

Originally Posted by Yorkshiredoughboy
Hello Canadian Neighbors. (I'm in the US) I thought this would be better in the general area as it isn't really a factual statement in my opinion.

My wife always comments, "Well it's easier for you to move to Canada as you have a British passport" it was never really investigated as it wasn't on the agenda.

Is there any truth to this or not?

Have you made the move, USA>Canada, what are the pros and cons?

Share your experiences please and thank you.
I don’t think either gives you priority unless you are applying for a work visa. Then I think being a USC gives you certain advantages.

If you visit Canada as a USC, you do not need prior authorization. UKCs require electronic authorization.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 7th 2022 at 2:58 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 3:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, you have no advantage over your wife with a British passport, in fact it's the other way around! As JG said, for work visas Americans have something available to them called NAFTA, for certain occupations - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-american.html

So they have an extra route open to them over Brits.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 7th 2022 at 3:42 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 3:56 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you want to move to Canada? There are plenty of places in the US I'd rather be. You have 50 odd states to choose from.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Yorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Why would you want to move to Canada? There are plenty of places in the US I'd rather be. You have 50 odd states to choose from.
it just comes up periodically, I love the outdoors and we spend a lot of time in Northern Michigan. We’re currently in Chicago and things aren’t the best. It’s not like we’re determined to move to Canada. Just a question.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Nope, you have no advantage over your wife with a British passport, in fact it's the other way around! As JG said, for work visas Americans have something available to them called NAFTA, for certain occupations - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-american.html

So they have an extra route open to them over Brits.

HTH.
I’m a dual citizen.

Do you have any insight into living in Canada versus the USA?
Old Jul 7th 2022, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don’t think either gives you priority unless you are applying for a work visa. Then I think being a USC gives you certain advantages.

If you visit Canada as a USC, you do not need prior authorization. UKCs require electronic authorization.

Hey. Nice to see you’re still around. I recall your presence being much appreciated when I first came to the United States. It’s the mouse. 🤓
Old Jul 7th 2022, 4:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I’m a dual citizen.

Nope, I've never lived in the US. I was just responding to the part of your post asking if that was true or not.

HTH.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 4:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I’m a dual citizen.

I am confused….what do you mean? I am a dual UK/US citizen, have lived in both countries and am now a Canadian PR. Have you read the link Christmasoompa posted?
Old Jul 7th 2022, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I am confused….what do you mean? I am a dual UK/US citizen, have lived in both countries and am now a Canadian PR. Have you read the link Christmasoompa posted?

Yes, sorry, in my head I was stating that me and my wife are equal and she doesn’t have any advantage.

Old Jul 7th 2022, 4:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, sorry, in my head I was stating that me and my wife are equal and she doesn’t have any advantage.
That's correct. One of you will have an advantage over the other, in terms of points for visas, and perhaps an occupation in demand, but in terms of nationality you've both got an equal chance.

So you just need to work out who may be more likely to qualify for a visa using other criteria such as job, education, language, etc.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard this "easier for British people to move to Canada" myth repeated by Canadians too, and were surprised when I told them the reality of immigrating, many referenced the royal family connection. Maybe in the past it was, but not any more. You're treated the same as someone from any another country, though as mentioned the US has the NAFTA/USMCA visas. Australia also gets a unique working holiday visa as well.

In regards to the USA vs Canada, I know someone who is American who lived in Oregon and immigrated here and they are very happy they moved. Their wife is a cancer survivor so I think it was the negative experience with the American health insurance system that pushed them here, as well as the divisive political climate that pushed them to move. Of course Canada is not an economic powerhouse like the US is though, and we also suffering a serious housing crisis as both Canadians and newcomers generally want to live in either Toronto or Vancouver so home prices in these areas are astronomical right now, where as the US has a lot more major cities to choose from which keeps prices lower. It really depends where in Canada you want to move to, in Vancouver we're kind of in a unique privileged situation where the border is a short drive away, so (once this covid nonsense is finally over) you can always pop across the line down to Bellingham, WA and stock up on products only in the US, or do a weekend trip down to Seattle.

Interestingly since covid though I've found less interest in going to the US and have been able to make do, and some products have now made it up to Canada that were previously only available in the US.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Interestingly since covid though I've found less interest in going to the US and have been able to make do, and some products have now made it up to Canada that were previously only available in the US.
Thanks, I’ve yet to visit but I like what I see.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 11:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I imported an American and we lived in Toronto and then in the country. For her, healthcare was the big pro, She had stomach pains and went to the hospital, from there she phoned her stepfather, a doctor in Colorado. "They're doing this test and that test" "What? No HMO would allow me to check all that for your symptoms". The obvious cons are the climate and, depending on where you come from where do you go, the scenery.
Old Jul 10th 2022, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

If you just have a British passport, and no criminal convictions, then historically it's been easier to get a non-family based (e.g. Employment-based) immigrant or temporary work 'visa' for Canada than the US. That's about it though. If you're American, you possibly have the NAFTA/CUMSA work visa option, which is far easier to get either way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.