Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

US Visa Waiver

Wikiposts

US Visa Waiver

Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:11 am
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Visa Waiver

On my recent return from my jollies in the US, the delighful canadian customs agent forget to take the visa waiver card out of my passport. I know if I don't return it I will suffer a fate worse than death-does anyone know where i can return it to? airport maybe?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Visa Waiver

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
On my recent return from my jollies in the US, the delighful canadian customs agent forget to take the visa waiver card out of my passport. I know if I don't return it I will suffer a fate worse than death-does anyone know where i can return it to? airport maybe?
Yes, US customs at Winnipeg airport will take it off you - at least that's what Pembina told OH every time. Or if you don't fancy that, you could send it to this place in Kentucky - http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/cbp/i94.html .

Canada won't take it off you unless you ask them to. But keeping it by accident I don't think it's that much of a big deal for Canadian residents living near the land border - OH is always congratulated by the US guards here on returning his as if it's a rare occurrence or something...
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:22 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
Google it - theres an address on FAQ page on their website with details of what you're meant to send as proof of leaving the country.

If you're going back to the US before the 3 mths is up then keep the card as it's valid for next time. If you're not then I wouldn't worry too much, I've done this countless times and not bothered to return the card and they've always let me back in without any hassle
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:53 am
Just Joined

projectbliss is an unknown quantity at this point

Same thing happened to my husband when we came back from US to Canada through Eastpoint.

Apparently it happens all the time. US customs officials just took it back when we flew into Chicago from UK - over 6 months later - so it's no big deal.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:58 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Last visit to Montana, we got to the border (Chief Mountain TINY crossing). Our friends visiting from UK were told they needed to go get the Visa Waiver. We were free to enter, look of shock goes across Mrs C's face. So 'foolishly' she asks why we dont need a Visa Waiver, "Well mam becoz ya haf one awl reddy". It had expired last november, never been removed. Shows how closely the border guards look
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Does the US really audit the visa waiver stubs?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:17 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Google it - theres an address on FAQ page on their website with details of what you're meant to send as proof of leaving the country.

If you're going back to the US before the 3 mths is up then keep the card as it's valid for next time. If you're not then I wouldn't worry too much, I've done this countless times and not bothered to return the card and they've always let me back in without any hassle
One caveat, the waiver actually expires after 30 days from entry if you don't re-enter the country in that period. I fell afoul of that last time and had to go to the back of the queue.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Selsame is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by projectbliss
Same thing happened to my husband when we came back from US to Canada through Eastpoint.

Apparently it happens all the time. US customs officials just took it back when we flew into Chicago from UK - over 6 months later - so it's no big deal.
Until you go through one of the smaller airports that is. In Chicago LAX etc. they don't have time to give you grief, but if you travel via one of the smaller hubs they have time on their hands. Better to send it off just in case.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

giggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
One caveat, the waiver actually expires after 30 days from entry if you don't re-enter the country in that period. I fell afoul of that last time and had to go to the back of the queue.
We recently re-used our visa waiver 2 months after we entered the U.S. on it and had no problems.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by giggimickey
We recently re-used our visa waiver 2 months after we entered the U.S. on it and had no problems.
OH goes often on his but I'm sure he's been >30days a few times. We did get told that by a United check-in clerk once though so perhaps it's different rules for flying/land borders? Ben, were you flying or driving?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:02 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
OH goes often on his but I'm sure he's been >30days a few times. We did get told that by a United check-in clerk once though so perhaps it's different rules for flying/land borders? Ben, were you flying or driving?
I was flying, and it was the US Homeland Security officers that told me that.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:05 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

I was flying, and it was the US Homeland Security officers that told me that.
I've gone >30 days with no probem - guess they just ignore the rules sometime.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

no, it's valid for reentry for 90 days
unless the rules have changed(?)

I don't have to use that now... i was even asked to use the USC line in MIA because i had a Canadian passport
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by neill
i was even asked to use the USC line in MIA because i had a Canadian passport
I always do that too, it's great getting off a British airline and skipping off to the USC line, so much faster Odd that a Canadian passport doesn't get you to a Canadian queue in Canada though, eh?! Is that because they don't want to offend any non-Canadians?