British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   US starts charging entry fee to British travellers ??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/us-starts-charging-entry-fee-british-travellers-684585/)

craig25 Sep 8th 2010 7:00 pm

US starts charging entry fee to British travellers ???

I have just read this on yahoo mail

That’s right, as of today, Brits travelling to the USA will have to cough up a $14 (£9) fee for a special type of visa before they can enter the country.

The visa, known as an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation), is mandatory for travellers to the US but has been free since it was introduced in 2008. From today, however, you’ll need to pay up to visit old Uncle Sam.

You must complete the form at least three days before you leave the UK, and it’s only valid for two years, after which you’ll need to complete another form if you want to enter the States again. It is, however, valid for multiple entries once you’ve got it, and you can apply online

I am leaving for canada to activate my pr next week but will be going via the usa and connection time there is 8 hours waiting time,does that mean i have to fill one of these forms out ?, i am going on wednesday and it says u have to fill it out 3 days before,i will only be staying in the usa while i am in transit

Bill_S Sep 8th 2010 7:11 pm

Re: US starts charging entry fee to British travellers ???

If you have a flight to the USA, you'd better do the ESTA. The airline likely won't let you board without ESTA approval.

Silverdragon102 Sep 8th 2010 7:17 pm

ESTA has been around for a couple of years only recently have they started charing for it (today I think is when it started)

If you are flying and stopping over in the US then you need it

craig25 Sep 8th 2010 7:31 pm

i never knew about it until today, i will be in transit,do permanent residents of canada also need to do this ?

Almost Canadian Sep 8th 2010 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 (Post 8834685)
ESTA has been around for a couple of years only recently have they started charing for it (today I think is when it started)

If you are flying and stopping over in the US then you need it

I saw on this forum that they were looking to start charging for it, so I got mine a few weeks ago, even though I am not travelling to the US for some time. I am very happy with myself:p:thumbsup:

craig25 Sep 8th 2010 7:44 pm

u should be,i just had to pay 14 dollars,and u seem to get approved straight away,do i need to take a copy to the airport or will they know ?

YYZlover Sep 8th 2010 8:54 pm

I did mine monday and didn't need to pay as that only started today. Had to wait until I got my new passport (went in to renew thursday last week, got it monday morning) as the ESTA is valid 2 years or until passport expires (whichever comes first).

My understanding is that you don't need to bring it with you as ESTA will forward your approval number to all airlines and they will have that on file. I did a PDF copy of mine, ready to be printed out.

For those of you who are doing this, you do not need to enter your travel arrangements. All you need is fill in the required details. I have no planned travel to US but wanted to do this so it was readily available should I need it.

And yes, you get your approval straight away.

Mike Gas Sep 9th 2010 4:42 pm

Is the fee by road gone up as well?

Zoe Bell Sep 10th 2010 12:43 am

It should be pointed out that there has always been a charge for entering the US on the visa waiver scheme. The I 94w cost $6 each time you were issued one , most people traveling by plane etc didn't see the cost as itvwas included in the plane ticket.

The ESTA replaces the old green form for any travel other than by private vehicle, it's now $14 ish for a two-year esta

I don't know if the charge at road crossings for cars is the same or not.

Rete Sep 10th 2010 1:03 am

Everyone who is eligible under the VWP to come to the US needs to complete and pay. Not just Brits. And I believe it is good for 2 years.

Believe it or not you paid before as well. It is part of the fee your airline charged you.

Originally Posted by leeps (Post 8834649)
I have just read this on yahoo mail

That’s right, as of today, Brits travelling to the USA will have to cough up a $14 (£9) fee for a special type of visa before they can enter the country.

The visa, known as an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation), is mandatory for travellers to the US but has been free since it was introduced in 2008. From today, however, you’ll need to pay up to visit old Uncle Sam.

You must complete the form at least three days before you leave the UK, and it’s only valid for two years, after which you’ll need to complete another form if you want to enter the States again. It is, however, valid for multiple entries once you’ve got it, and you can apply online

I am leaving for canada to activate my pr next week but will be going via the usa and connection time there is 8 hours waiting time,does that mean i have to fill one of these forms out ?, i am going on wednesday and it says u have to fill it out 3 days before,i will only be staying in the usa while i am in transit

Rete Sep 10th 2010 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 8837833)
It should be pointed out that there has always been a charge for entering the US on the visa waiver scheme. The I 94w cost $6 each time you were issued one , most people traveling by plane etc didn't see the cost as itvwas included in the plane ticket.

The ESTA replaces the old green form for any travel other than by private vehicle, it's now $14 ish for a two-year esta

I don't know if the charge at road crossings for cars is the same or not.

Yup it is $6 by car as well.

Zoe Bell Sep 10th 2010 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 8837876)
Everyone who is eligible under the VWP to come to the US needs to complete and pay. Not just Brits. And I believe it is good for 2 years.

Believe it or not you paid before as well. It is part of the fee your airline charged you.

Didn't I just say that ?;)

Rete Sep 10th 2010 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 8837881)
Didn't I just say that ?;)

Yup you did and I reaffirmed it :thumbup:

austinallegro Sep 12th 2010 7:35 pm

I'm glad I read this thread!!! It saved me a few grey hairs. A few weeks back I read the posts here then was off to Los Angeles for a holiday.

At the Air Canada check-in desk the lady suddenly started saying "Oh, you need a visa to fly to the U.S."....(I have a British passport issued in Ottawa). For a second I was totally nonplussed but then I thought of this thread. I knew what to do!

I got to a computer at Pearson, logged into the U.S. Gov site, filled in a few questions..."No, I wasn't a member of the Nazi party between 1933 - 1945"...not asked to pay anything, took 10 mins and voila! That was it.

Had I not read this thread it could have been much worse.

I wish the Air Canada check-in people were a bit more knowledgable about these sort of things. She was totally mystified.

87cabby Sep 13th 2010 3:16 am

Hmm. I have a valid I94W in my passport right now, and am flying to the US next month.

Anyone know if I need to go ahead with this?

The front page does say you need to complete an application if you are currently not in possession of a visitors visa...

I'll probably go ahead and do it anyway, for the sake of $14 it's not worth the gamble.