British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   US Homeland Security to use your Facebook/ Twitter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/us-homeland-security-use-your-facebook-twitter-879614/)

Aqua Jun 28th 2016 9:03 am

US Homeland Security to use your Facebook/ Twitter

Has any one else read this report on the US DHS now going to ask for your FaceBook and Twitter accounts on entry to the US under ESTA and I94 Visa waiver??

US border authority seeks travellers' social media details - BBC News

Gozit Jun 28th 2016 9:06 am

Re: US Homeland Security to use your Facebook/ Twitter

It says its going to be an "optional" field. A general rule of thumb with customs and passport control is not to volunteer information not explicitly asked for or required. This would be one of those where you leave it blank. They aren't going to deny entry to the country because you don't have farcebook.

An important distinction is that it won't apply to Canadian passport holders as Canadian passports are exempt from ESTA/I-94/Visa waiver.

Aqua Jun 28th 2016 9:10 am

So .. GoZit, would you feel comfortable saying no to the request?

Gozit Jun 28th 2016 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Aqua (Post 11988196)
So .. GoZit, would you feel comfortable saying no to the request?

Yes. Definitely. If its optional why would I be compelled to fill it in?

Partially discharged Jun 28th 2016 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Aqua (Post 11988186)
Has any one else read this report on the US DHS now going to ask for your FaceBook and Twitter accounts on entry to the US under ESTA and I94 Visa waiver??

US border authority seeks travellers' social media details - BBC News

Would they look suspiciously upon an early 50's male who doesn't have Facebook and never has and has no intention of. !!!!!

There are rumours (or is there no truth to them) of people applying for jobs and their facebook profiles being looked at prior to the interview.

Aqua Jun 28th 2016 9:37 am

PD... You don't have Facebook or Twitter?? how do you survive and what about your 50k friends?

I turned off Facebook a couple of years ago as its easy to be used as information by others.
And yes- companies do use FaceBook, Twitter and LinkedIn before they interview you.

beckiwoo Jun 28th 2016 9:45 am

If this becomes mandatory then I'm not going to travel into the USA. Simples

Siouxie Jun 28th 2016 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 11988214)
Would they look suspiciously upon an early 50's male who doesn't have Facebook and never has and has no intention of. !!!!!

There are rumours (or is there no truth to them) of people applying for jobs and their facebook profiles being looked at prior to the interview.

No rumour, absolute truth. My former employer did an online search prior to employing me - including FB - but couldn't find me anywhere!

:)

Gozit Jun 28th 2016 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11988244)
No rumour, absolute truth. My former employer did an online search prior to employing me - including FB - but couldn't find me anywhere!

:)

Good to know you still got employed...The scare tactic I keep getting is "If you hide yourself/don't have fb/don't disclose it they will seem suspicious and not employ you" which I find to be just dumb as why would an employer not employ you purely on the lack of a voluntary social media profile???
When I get out to the "real world" I plan on closing down all of the accounts I don't use and changing my name on facebook to use either just my first two names without the surname or my Maltese name/mother's maiden surname. I really only use Facebook and BE so it isn't much of a problem.

MillieF Jun 28th 2016 10:58 am

Thank God I'm 108 and don't have to worry about this s*it! I know there is a photo 'out there' of me kissing my son under a sunflower....that being said, you don't need FB in NB, everybody knows anybody...you meet someone in their "sensible years" and everybody tells you how they ran amok in their youth:thumbup:

Homeland...get in there...I am eligible for Citizenship in August!

JonboyE Jun 28th 2016 11:00 am

There is another alternative. Don't post anything online that you don't want Homeland Security reading.

Gozit Jun 28th 2016 11:05 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11988315)
There is another alternative. Don't post anything online that you don't want Homeland Security reading.

I think the best alternative is not having unnecessary government intrusion on foreigners or citizens :nod:

If someone was using ESTA to enter the US and commit a crime against the US they sure as hell aren't gonna post about it on facebook.

Steve_ Jun 28th 2016 11:46 am

Trying hard to care, Canadians are exempt. And plainly it's nutty because anyone with anything to hide wouldn't provide the details. You'd deactivate your profiles for awhile if you were a terrorist.

But really, why would you care about this given that CBP has had direct access to CPIC for ages? There have been various cases of people denied entry based on vague information in CPIC.

Gozit Jun 28th 2016 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11988348)
Trying hard to care, Canadians are exempt. And plainly it's nutty because anyone with anything to hide wouldn't provide the details. You'd deactivate your profiles for awhile if you were a terrorist.

But really, why would you care about this given that CBP has had direct access to CPIC for ages? There have been various cases of people denied entry based on vague information in CPIC.

Exactly....I mean its not an issue because as Canadians we will never be asked these questions as we don't do I94s or ESTAs...

BristolUK Jun 28th 2016 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 11988214)
Would they look suspiciously upon an early 50's male who doesn't have Facebook and never has and has no intention of. !!!!!.

Or late 50s. :rofl: