Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Urgent Help! Telephone Interview on Thursday!

Urgent Help! Telephone Interview on Thursday!

Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Urgent Help! Telephone Interview on Thursday!

Hi guys

Help, advice, tips and nerve calming.

I have a telephone interview on Thursday.

Any one had one, and can you share any of your valuable inside info.

I am still in shock from the call on Friday evening.

Busy writing a presentation to send to them!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHH!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:56 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Help! Telephone Interview on Thursday!

stay calm, breath, don't talk too fast, be polite, be prepared, ask questions and finish by asking how you thought it went, what's the next stage and have you got the job!

oh! and good luck
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Firstly GOOD LUCK!

Was surfing for something else and then read your thread - a bit cheesy but try this http://video.about.com/jobsearch/Pho...rview-Tips.htm
Dont worry about it, try and be relaxed and if you cant just be honest and tell them (without sounding desperate) of how important this interview is
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Bainesy36 is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of mine had a few key words relating to his profession on some paper, just to help him out if he had a mental block. He also wrote down some questions to ask at the end of the interview. This shows he had done some research into the company and that he had a genuine interest in it.

Hope this helps.

GOOD LUCK.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

guccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant future

Agree with Bainsey - make sure you have the buzz and keywords written down - You may also want to put together a succinct summary of your career and key achievements to date which tells them all about you in a couple of minutes!

Good luck
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Neillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant future

Hi englishrose,

I've done a few telephone interviews and they are not bad to be honest, first thing i'd say is try to do it at a big desk where you can lay out your CV and loads of notes and questions, not sure what type of job it is but mine were in I.T so its easy sort of cheat and have notes relating to the job in front of you and to any questions you might think they will ask you.

Also as mad as it seems, i put on my suit for one, it just sort of felt like i was going for an interview rather than sitting on the couch in ma jeans talking to a pal.

Good luck !
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:02 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Have not had a telephone interview before, but just wanted to say good luck

Let us know how it goes
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:03 pm

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dinger24
Hi

Firstly GOOD LUCK!

Was surfing for something else and then read your thread - a bit cheesy but try this http://video.about.com/jobsearch/Pho...rview-Tips.htm
Dont worry about it, try and be relaxed and if you cant just be honest and tell them (without sounding desperate) of how important this interview is
My background is training and that link was a great start. The problem with telephone interviewing is that you don't have the cues which are normally visible. For example, when you are answering a question, often the interviewer will give you a cue that you have gone far enough with your answer and he/she may nod a few times while you are talking and scan her notes for the next question. You get the hint and close down the answer.

During the telephone interview - you don't know if you've given enough or too much information, so when you think you have said enough...ask - "Would you like me to go on? Shall I elaborate further? At least this will stop you from giving endless answers.

By all means have lots of notes if you wish - but bullet points would be better - you will need to scan quickily if need be.

Sit and face a wall while talking - and have your back to the window too. Then nothing will distract you .

Best of British and let us know how it went!

Last edited by seaham gal; Jan 26th 2009 at 11:05 pm. Reason: cut and pasted
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:16 am
Just Joined

West-is-best has a spectacular aura aboutWest-is-best has a spectacular aura aboutWest-is-best has a spectacular aura about

Good luck and try to stay calm. Hope it all goes well for you.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

I have done the interview.

How strange, I did not feel right as I could not see the panel.

Well it was scheduled for an hour and last 30 minutes in total. Presentation and questions.

O'h well it is over and done with now.

I dont know which is worse telephone or face to face.

They said I will know by Monday if they want to fly over for 2nd interview.

I very much doubt I will be going.... I did not get a good feeling about it.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:49 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, fingers x for a phone call/email sure you will hear back
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:09 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

positive cyber thoughts and fingers crossed for you.......x
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:46 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Definately put your notes all around you . Have your cv and application to hand so you know what you've put( I'm saying this as if you were me and forget my name during these things)
have your job description of your current job and job applied for so you can give a brief outline of your current job and have an idea of what the new job entails. If you have a good idea of what they may ask, what makes you the person for this job, what qualities will you bring to this job, how do you handle conflict at work, what are your strenghths and weaknesses, and any technical questions you anticipate, write down your answers so you have an idea of what you want to say.
Be prepared for long pauses while they take down what you say and prepare the next question. Have a few questions ready to ask ( they always ask if you have questions and it looks good if you have at least one).
After you've finished email them to thank them for their time, you enjoyed talking to them ( that sort of thing).
Good luck
Terese
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:47 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

so sorry missed that you have done it, fingers crossed for you
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:59 am
SLC
Just Joined

SLC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there

Sorry I'm late wishing you luck. It may have gone better than expected as you can't see them. If anything though it's your first one and it makes good practice!

All the best with the job hunt!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.