Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Recce trip to Nova Scotia - Booking Accommodation

Upcoming Recce trip to Nova Scotia - Booking Accommodation

Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

guccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant future
Default Upcoming Recce trip to Nova Scotia - Booking Accommodation

We're just trying to put our Itinerary together for our 8 day recce to Nova Scotia and I'm wondering how easy will it be in March to book a B&B whilst we're out there?

We plan to spend the 1st couple of nights in Halifax then we are going to spend some time in Colchester and probably a day or so in Kings. We don't really want to tie ourselves to a particular hotel on a particular night as we may enjoy one place more than another and of course we may have adverse weather to cope with

Once things for sure, we want to meet as many people as we can whilst over there and work on our networks - so a B&B I would say is better than a chain such as Holiday Inn so we can meet some locals.

So, is it easy to book B&B whilst there? Any recommendations in the Colchester, Kings or Halifax areas?

Cheers folks.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:15 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upcoming Recce trip to Nova Scotia - Booking Accommodation

Hi

Heres one to get you started

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=truro+b

We are looking to stay here to start with in June for a couple of weeks

www.willowbendmotel.com

Good luck, I think at this time of year you should be ok to leave it till when you get there, but hopefully the locals will advise you more on this
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:03 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

The Bluenose Inn on the Bedford highway..I gave them a phone call from the UK and got a special rate for the week(7 days) at $290 inc tax = £150...back in Nov 07, Its Cheap and Cheerful and It was a good base point for Halifax and surrounding area..the property channel on the TV is mind numming after the first hour.... ...

Last edited by swoops; Jan 20th 2009 at 9:06 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice

I used Lastminute.com to find my accommodation and then used tripadvisor.co.uk to read reviews on the hotels.

Last edited by englishintruder; Jan 21st 2009 at 6:10 am.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

If you want something on the Eastern Shore about 30 mins from the City you could try the Old Riverside Lodge in Musquodoboit Harbour, PM me if you need the number. We have met the owners a few times and they are really friendly and helpful. It's a nice place too.

Some places close in the winter, mostly cottages, but you should be OK with most B&B's in March.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

guccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Hi

Heres one to get you started

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=truro+b

We are looking to stay here to start with in June for a couple of weeks

www.willowbendmotel.com

Good luck, I think at this time of year you should be ok to leave it till when you get there, but hopefully the locals will advise you more on this

Great, thanks Nikki - I think we'll almost certainly stay at the Royalty Truro on one of the nights - I' ll take a further look at the Willowbend

Cheers
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the info folks, much appreciated. We are looking at spending Fri & Sat in Halifax, probably Sun & Mon in Truro area, Tue in Kings, Wed back over in Colchester, Thu?? Fri back in Halifax to fly home early hours of Sat morning

Anyone up for a meetup during our 8 days in NS - we are coming over on 13th and our plans are broadly as above

Lots of you have given me advice over the past few months and I'm sure I cn buy you a pint or glass of wine
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:49 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guccismith
Thanks for all the info folks, much appreciated. We are looking at spending Fri & Sat in Halifax, probably Sun & Mon in Truro area, Tue in Kings, Wed back over in Colchester, Thu?? Fri back in Halifax to fly home early hours of Sat morning

Anyone up for a meetup during our 8 days in NS - we are coming over on 13th and our plans are broadly as above

Lots of you have given me advice over the past few months and I'm sure I cn buy you a pint or glass of wine
Would love to but we won't be there

Definitely catch up when you make the move over, which I'm sure will not take too long.

Hope you have a great trip
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Would love to but we won't be there

Definitely catch up when you make the move over, which I'm sure will not take too long.

Hope you have a great trip
Ah, thanks Nikki, I wish we were moving over in June, but hey, as you say we'll be there sometime in the near future and will almost certainly catch up for a glass of vino

Anyone, anyone, in NS up for a meet during our week there starting Fri 13th March for 8 days ? As said, we will be in Halifax for the 1st couple of days then Truro for a few days but I'm a willing horse and will travel anywhere
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I would be happy to meet up if I am off work when you arrive and on 14th if you are in or around Halifax/Dartmouth. I am sure that others will sign up for a meet if you set a date. If you give an idea of area maybe I can suggest a venue.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I would be happy to meet up if I am off work when you arrive and on 14th if you are in or around Halifax/Dartmouth. I am sure that others will sign up for a meet if you set a date. If you give an idea of area maybe I can suggest a venue.
Cheers DNS that'd be great. I was thinking that we (wife and I, not all the group!) might go and watch the Mooseheads on the Friday eve and then possibly meet up on Sat afternoon or evening somewhere in Halifax - I've no idea of the place so I'm going to have to leave it to you guys to suggest a suitable venue.

Thinking about it, probably worth me posting another..... uh post to arrange a meet up. What I may need to do is have a meet on the Sat 14th in the Halifax area and another Sun / Mon in the Truro area.....

I'll be back in touch, but thanks for saying yes
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:51 pm
In the boonies

drivemel2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by guccismith

We're currently staying at the Royalty B&B Truro and it's the nicest place we've stayed, in a great location and this is our 3rd trip, so we've been to a few! If you are going to Kentville don't bother with the Grand St.Inn. They are selling up and have lost interest.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

A few meet ups have happened in the Lower Deck at the Historic Properties in Halifax, most people seem to know where that is and there is parking nearby.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

hi we live up in coldbrook which is in kings area, there are two motels near by, one is cold the wandlyn inn and the other is comfort inn, i would like to stress that we have not stayed there, just letting you know what there is around
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by drivemel2
We're currently staying at the Royalty B&B Truro and it's the nicest place we've stayed, in a great location and this is our 3rd trip, so we've been to a few! If you are going to Kentville don't bother with the Grand St.Inn. They are selling up and have lost interest.
Looks for certain that we'll be staying at the Royalty - nothing but good reports. Cheers

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
hi we live up in coldbrook which is in kings area, there are two motels near by, one is cold the wandlyn inn and the other is comfort inn, i would like to stress that we have not stayed there, just letting you know what there is around
Cheers CD - will check them out. If we stay in any of them, we'll let you know if they're any good so you'll be informed for any visitors you may have in the future

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
A few meet ups have happened in the Lower Deck at the Historic Properties in Halifax, most people seem to know where that is and there is parking nearby.
Hi DNS, will post again in a few weeks and I'll use this as our intended venue - much appreciated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.