Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unsure where to go

Wikiposts

Unsure where to go

Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

love_it_here will become famous soon enoughlove_it_here will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Unsure where to go

Depends what you are looking for. We lived in Chilliwack for 9 months when we first moved to canada and it was some of the longest months of my life! The problem with Chilliwack is that it is too near to vancouver to have its decent shops (the mall is so awful), concerts etc but to be honest too far from Vancouver to enjoy its amenities. You think its not far when you visit but it is - the Portman Bridge is a huge issue. You can be stuck in traffic on highway 1 for hours (and I mean hours) trying to get in and out of Vancouver. There is no train service between Chilliwack and Vancouver so you have to drive if you want to go out in Vancouver which means no drinking. The other problem it has is that it smells like manure for many months of the year.

There are no parks in Chilliwack either and when we tried hiking in the nearby mountains we kept coming across the same problem - unleashed vicious dogs. I am told it is because of all the grow ops.

I guess if you are a homebody and never want to go out that's fine but for me me no-way (that said, my clubbing days are way behind me!)!

It was so bad we moved to Port Moody and my husband commuted back and forth to Chilliwack very day until he could get a job transfer. The road between vancouver and Chilliwack is dullsville and sometimes it took him three hours one way!

We have now moved to Kelowna which we love very much. We get to go to the odd concert, it has a very decent cultural district, movie theatres, a decent mall, a beautiful lake, vinyards, mountains, ski resorts nearby - what more could you ask for? Well an Ikea but apart from that...

Yes we could have bought a bigger house in a cheaper area (we live in a townhome) but what would be the point in that? We moved to Canada for a better lifestyle, not more square footage!

Hope this insight helps.

georgina

Originally Posted by saund_cp
Agree with the post above. East Fraser Valley, Abbotsford/Chilliwack. Still within easy reach of Vancouver but without the prices. Prices are rising there though at about 10% per annum. Bought a very large up market house there in Apr for £160,000. Is still much more expensive than many other parts of Canada but good value for Vancouver region. As the Olympics approach in 2010 prices are also expected to grow, and for a few years afterwards.
Again use http://www.MLS.ca to see what you will get for your money.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Yes we could have bought a bigger house in a cheaper area (we live in a townhome) but what would be the point in that? We moved to Canada for a better lifestyle, not more square footage!

Hope this insight helps.

Real good sensible post. I'd find it hard to recommend anywhere east of Coquitlam going into Fraser Valley if you intend to commute into Van by Car. You may be living in 3000 sq ft but you will find you probably don't end up using half the space and living in somewhere like Chilliwack would spin you into deep depression (IMHO),
They have been touting twinning the Port Man bridge which may help Highway 1 corridor, if this ever happens it would be back to square one if the Golden Ears bridge is ever built linking Pitt Meadows area with H1.
The road link over Pitt Rivers is abysmal, again a new bridge is planned, which may impact house prices again East of Pitt Meadows.
The only saving grace for weekday commuters is the West Coast Express which is first rate.
What I am trying to say that it is tempting to look at a map and equate housing costs/ size with these areas, but anyone wishing to avoid any sort of daily commute hell as seen in UK would be very disappointed.
Draw a line East of Maple Ridge/ Langley and forget it as apart from commute the Towns are GRIM.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Grendel
My wife and I have decided to settle in BC, and we're just about to send off our application forms, but we're having serious trouble trying to settle on somewhere to live.

Our plan centres on selling our home and using the £100,000 equity to buy a three or four-bedroom place in Canada, preferably with a decent-sized garden of up to an acre, outright. Our budget rules out anywhere around Vancouver, and we decided that living in the Okanaghan, Kamloops or Kootenay areas would leave us stuck in a relatively small house when we could get much more for our money further afield. Vancouver Island is nice, but I've read a lot about how it's full of tourists every summer, and how hard it can be to get a ferry to the mainland as a result.

After much thought we focused on northern BC, and Prince George in particular, simply because it looked like a reasonably-sized city with enough amenities and property prices that meant we could live in a large house mortgage free. However, looking at previous posts, I discovered that forum members have a very low opinion of PG.

So, does anybody have any suggestions about where we should be heading? We're going on a research trip next summer, and want to narrow down our options? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Hi.....
I live in Armstrong B.c what about Enderby or GrindRod....they are between Armstrong and Salmon Arm..........what about Nelson Cranbrook ...... the Kootenays...........or more Northern........... Williams Lake thats closer to Prince George but a nice place............
There are a lot of smaller towns but what about work ?............

Jeannie......
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:01 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I know you have written about moving to Prince George for the property prices, land, jobs etc. Have you thought about what sort of job you will be hoping to get? I would have thought that jobs are fairly slim on the ground up there? Don't forget, unless you have a personal income, you will need to work to live, regardless of whether you have your house bought outright.

Chilliwack is the smelliest place I have ever been to, and I am a farmer! Even I couldn't live there LOL!! As some other people suggested; take a look at Salmon Arm, prices are cheaper there although employment may be an issue as it is a quiet rural economy there. If you consider living in Enderby or Grinderod then do be careful where you chose to buy; there are a number of Indian Reserves around that area, and although pretty, crime is high in relation to other areas. Armstrong is cute, but it is chicken-farm heaven there so make sure you don't live near one!! If you look at the areas around, you may see a huge price dip around a town called Lumby - don't be sucked in by the cheap property prices on view!!

If I was in your situation I think with the budget you have, Kamloops is probably where I would be heading to if you are absolutely sure BC is where you want to live. It is a decent sized city with not bad weather and an economy of sorts. Property prices vary a lot, in and around the city.

Personally, I think BC is out of your budget. Sorry to be so blunt, but in the 2 and a half years we visited BC, prices shot up and if you are only just putting in your application, then you are looking at a 3 year wait and in this time prices could continue to escalate out of your reach.

Ontario is definitely within your grasp of buying a house outright and still being in a Province with good job prospects and a good economy. You may have to commute to a better paying job but then I think that will be the case with most places that you look at in Canada as property is not so cheap around business areas.

I can't personally comment on any other Provinces as I have never been to any other Provinces except Quebec which would be of no use to you. Take a close look at Alberta, it seems like a lovely Province, albeit extremely cold in the winter. But the job market seems like it is thriving right now.

By the way, it doesn't matter where you state your intended destination on your application - you are allowed to change your mind to any other Province except Quebec.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

We've got plenty to think about. www.mls.ca is one of our most-visited websites, but now we're a little more informed about exactly what towns we're looking at.

This forum has proved invaluable, and we're grateful for everyone who takes the time and trouble to share their wisdom.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Property prices the world over are driven by an areas popularity.

The EU in the 80`s and 90`s shot up because the people of the UK started buying into the "Euroscene!"
The advent of the easyjet culture shrunk Europe, so the Brits` big money economy washing over the Med` for example, inflated their prices.

Brits mass migration to BC and ON is the same, whole industries who sell a product feed of this, thus fanning the flames for the possible inflation of Provincial Economies.

At present Alberta feeds of this situation, being next door to BC, those that can`t afford BC are choosing AB.

In 25 yrs it will be SK over BC and AB.

At present from the east, it`s MB over ON.

For those of you in SK, your children will enjoy a boom in around 25 to 50 years time.

Here in the Atlantic Provinces, we are on a downward economic cycle, so Canadians who can, migrate westward to ON and beyond.
Consequently house prices here in the east will be the one of the lowest for 10 more years, in around 5 years time Brits arriving here will drive up the prices as the "BC syndrome" kicks in!!!!!!!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:14 am
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0

The EU in the 80`s and 90`s shot up because the people of the UK started buying into the "Euroscene!"
The advent of the easyjet culture shrunk Europe, so the Brits` big money economy washing over the Med` for example, inflated their prices.

Brits mass migration to BC and ON is the same, whole industries who sell a product feed of this, thus fanning the flames for the possible inflation of Provincial Economies.

At present Alberta feeds of this situation, being next door to BC, those that can`t afford BC are choosing AB.

For those of you in SK, your children will enjoy a boom in around 25 to 50 years time.

Here in the Atlantic Provinces, we are on a downward economic cycle, so Canadians who can, migrate westward to ON and beyond.
Consequently house prices here in the east will be the one of the lowest for 10 more years, in around 5 years time Brits arriving here will drive up the prices as the "BC syndrome" kicks in!!!!!!!
I think this idea is generally right but I doubt that there are enough Brits with enough money to influence the Canadian property market one way or the other. I think it's Asian money that drives up prices in Toronto and Vancouver and that people moving out from those cities push up prices in their hinterlands.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:56 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Personally, I think BC is out of your budget. Sorry to be so blunt, but in the 2 and a half years we visited BC, prices shot up and if you are only just putting in your application, then you are looking at a 3 year wait and in this time prices could continue to escalate out of your reach.
Absolutely - Okanagan (Kelowna) real estate prices are expected to rise 10% next year, and that's conservative. Assuming that interest rate rises don't hammer the market too badly, you can forecast that for three years, one reason being that Kelowna is a lifestyle choice - people relocating here as business owners, execs, second-homes, retirees, all with moolah and not needing immediate employment.

An average decent 4/5 bed detatched home here is something like $340 - $500k (in an area that people would actually want to live- the cheaper homes are cheap for a reason) so add on the cumulative and that makes it a bracket of $410k to $665k within three years. Pretty scary, eh ? The local issue of real estate prices is already hurting - go to dine out and see the struggle to recruit enough minimum wage workers to serve the moneyed masses, it's a real indicator of a problem looming large.

Rich.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:09 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by dbd
I think this idea is generally right but I doubt that there are enough Brits with enough money to influence the Canadian property market one way or the other.
Depends where you are - there are lots of Brits with cash still arriving in Calgary.

There isn't a "Canadian property market" as such - outside ON, the urban areas are too spread out to affect each other.

I was in Mississauga last week ... I'm very happy that I didn't stay in the GTA.

Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd
I think this idea is generally right but I doubt that there are enough Brits with enough money to influence the Canadian property market one way or the other. I think it's Asian money that drives up prices in Toronto and Vancouver and that people moving out from those cities push up prices in their hinterlands.
Accepted - So substitute British for British Passport holders instead !!!!!
Old Nov 18th 2005, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Mike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant future

Hi Grendel,

I've sent you a private message...........

Mike

Originally Posted by Grendel
Thanks very much for that information. We'll keep looking on the net, this forum, etc, and hopefully our research trip - driving north from Vancouver to Prince George and stopping off at various towns along the route - will give us a better idea of where we should be headed.

I don't know about other people, but we've found it hard trying to settle on a town that's a compromise between what we dream of (a four-bedroom in West Vancouver!) and what we can actually afford. While we're hoping for a decent-sized home, we're not stuck on the idea so much that we want to live in the middle of nowhere just so we can have an acre or two of land.

Surely (fingers crossed!) there's somewhere between Vancouver and PG that has affordable housing, some nice scenery and an economy where there's a reasonable chance of getting a job. We're not looking for paradise, just somewhere pleasant to call home. Here's hoping...
Old Nov 18th 2005, 5:47 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

To the OP, you talked about bring £100,000 over, that will give you about $200,000, and getting an acre with that in BC, are you sure that is possible?
Old Nov 18th 2005, 7:30 pm
sev
Just Joined

sev is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Unsure where to go

Originally Posted by karen wild
we have just come back from a research trip annd we have a small budget and we have decided on chilliwack which is 62 miles east of vancouver. also look at Hope, agassiz, abbotsford, sardis. we have found houses there are about 250,000$ for a single house and for a townhouse of 1700 sq can cost 179,000$.
it is nice there even though i really loved vernon, but little economy around it.
karen
Exactly, I live in Sardis and it takes me 50 min to Vancouver itself, Coquitlam -45min. you can afford either a house (older) with big yard for $220-260k or brand new townhome with fully fenced yard (not bad size) for $195-220k 3 bedroom and 3 washroom plus basement about 1800 sq. ft plus basement.
So, you are still very close to were the action is. And our summers are excellent- 30-35 degrees and virtually no rain at all for 3 months. Last summer it only rained once for 1 hour entire july and august.
So, think again.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 7:53 pm
sev
Just Joined

sev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0

I completely disagree. Alberta is not feeding place on BC situation since BC situation is very unique and Alberta with its gas/oil (and knowing the gas prices trend I give no dought AB economy will boom until the need in oil will exist) plus low business and personal tax is a magnet for many people which drives all sectors of economy up.

About BC - 275,000 of Hong Kong people with money in billions of dollars moved to Lower Mainland in late 90's together with people from Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia and etc. who still continue to dump dollars in the amounts you could only have by hitting a jackpot at 6/49. Vancouver was always orienting towards Asia and Pacific USA. Largest port in Canada and being closest port to China (major goods manufacturer today in the whole world) so no surprise prices here are so high. on top of this BC has the only agreeble climat in Canada where you chance to freez your bum is virtually zero.

The last and only boom in SK (give me a brake) and MB was 60-70 years ago, even then you can hardly call it a boom, however, these provinces are very stable economically being self efficient and famous to develop at a very slow but steady rate: they always had enough employment and good prices (but very high taxes plus lots of federal money in subsidies). they have never had any major "economical waves" compaired to BC, Ab, or ON, and never will (there is simply nothing there to boom on!). Sorry guys who live there !? (I actually spend 8 years in Winnipeg, so I know a bit what I am talking about).
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:38 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sev
Alberta is not feeding place on BC situation since BC situation is very unique and Alberta with its gas/oil (and knowing the gas prices trend I give no dought AB economy will boom until the need in oil will exist) plus low business and personal tax is a magnet for many people which drives all sectors of economy up.

BC and AB are both energy provinces, BC has hydro. Over 50% of this exported to USA. Why is it people always forget not so long ago AB was a have not province, with a net input from federal funding ?

About BC - 275,000 of Hong Kong people with money in billions of dollars moved to Lower Mainland in late 90's together with people from Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia and etc. who still continue to dump dollars in the amounts you could only have by hitting a jackpot at 6/49. Vancouver was always orienting towards Asia and Pacific USA. Largest port in Canada and being closest port to China (major goods manufacturer today in the whole world) so no surprise prices here are so high. on top of this BC has the only agreeble climat in Canada where you chance to freez your bum is virtually zero.

Many HK born investors are moving back since the expected anarchy after the HK handover didn't happen and busines prospects are looming on the Chinese mainland, attracting the business community back there. Money moving away from $CA to fund investment, exporting/importing etc. Trend such as this may hurt BC / Vancouver economy somewhat,. may not. Probably will tho.
Rich

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.