Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unsuccessful Canadian Move

Wikiposts

Unsuccessful Canadian Move

Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:56 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsuccessful Canadian Move

Originally Posted by Karl69
Less and Less by each passing minute.
Do you still plan to try going back to the UK in the summer???
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

yorkiebar99 is on a distinguished road

all i have to say is to go back on a holiday before you move back.

Hi

Me and my wife have been in Toronto Canada for almost 3 years, we have bought a house and my wife is working as a school teacher. We have found the experience very difficult. I came as an experienced IT person and have found it very difficult to secure a job here. Nobody is willing to give you a break. All they are looking for is Canadian experience. Since I have got here I have had a few jobs as admin work, paying very low salaries compared to the salary I was getting in UK.

My wife on the other hand has secured a perm job. However, we are very homesick but are very confused about going back because of the ridiculous house prices in the UK.

Was this really worth it?
It has been nice to leave the UK for a while but looking back, we left a lovely home, secure jobs, cars etc. Social life here is not the same, you have to make an appointment to visit any friends!! Some people are very rude and I don't think that Canadians have any culture let alone any dress sense as compared to the U.K.

Why did we move here?
Maybe we thought that the grass was greener on the other side. Don't get me wrong though, I do like the open space and big houses although the house prices are pretty high here too.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:18 am
Banned

Karl69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Unsuccessful Canadian Move

Originally Posted by iaink
Do you still plan to try going back to the UK in the summer???
Probably just to buy some fashionable clothes, .......right.......Mikeuk

Home is still the UK and I hope to return there one day, be it in 6 months or 6 years.

Karl
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:23 am
MCC
Forum Regular

MCC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by welshmountie
I got the message all right, I just find it hard to believe. Maybe I've been lucky in IT and it is hard to get used to the fact I may not be able to get the job where I want it. You are probably right in many ways. My best chance may well be to find an openening where local talent is scarce and combine this with some other niche in the area. I'm not scared of risk on my own, but I do have a family to consider.

The forum has recently surprised me with the guy that has struggled for so long and now has his reward. It is great news.

Forget Liverpool(even though my Dad is from there), forget WBA. Chelsea rule football and the Flames rule hockey!!!!

This thread has depressed me a lot but then I was really glad for Karl to have found a job. What people seem to forget is that the IT industry isn't what it used to be in the UK. My husband was made redundant and was IT director. I work myself in the business and am relatively well paid. But I know that if I was trying to have my job again I would be on a lot less money. So for IT people who want to come back it won't necessarily be better in the UK. I don't expect to get an IT job in Canada. And to be honest I don't really want to. I want a low pressure job and have more time looking after my children.

Yes we could stay over here as we have quite a good life. But I don't see a future for my kids. I don't see them being able to afford houses in the south as prices are so ridicule. I want to be able to retire before I die. I want to be able to choose to have a third child if I want to. Not to have the decision made for me because child care is so expansive over here. But it's still such a difficult decision to make.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Karl, congratulations on your new job! Soon you will be able to grumble about getting up early and feeling overworked like the rest of us!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice

Snap. My intent was always to get a low pressure IT job in Canada and lead a more relaxed life after selling up here. I suppose I am comparing even simple IT work UK wages with what you get in Canada for higher stress IT work. They don't marry and that really worried me because if we wanted to return to UK then it would be difficult.

Karl's result is great. I think this has put it all in perspective. It's given me hope that perhaps I can find just a simple IT role and see how it goes. If it doesn't work I wouldn't be sad if I had to change career to meet different Canadian demands in the job market. It might even do me good.

I feel exactly the same about kids future too. We were even considering having a third child ourselves but only if we end up in Canada.

Originally Posted by MCC

This thread has depressed me a lot but then I was really glad for Karl to have found a job. What people seem to forget is that the IT industry isn't what it used to be in the UK. My husband was made redundant and was IT director. I work myself in the business and am relatively well paid. But I know that if I was trying to have my job again I would be on a lot less money. So for IT people who want to come back it won't necessarily be better in the UK. I don't expect to get an IT job in Canada. And to be honest I don't really want to. I want a low pressure job and have more time looking after my children.

Yes we could stay over here as we have quite a good life. But I don't see a future for my kids. I don't see them being able to afford houses in the south as prices are so ridicule. I want to be able to retire before I die. I want to be able to choose to have a third child if I want to. Not to have the decision made for me because child care is so expansive over here. But it's still such a difficult decision to make.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MCC

Hi all...well this has been such an interesting thread that I just have to put my 2 cents in. But firstly congrats Karl...very happy for you.

A couple points:

I couldn't agree more with MCC about the IT market in the UK. My hubby has over 20 years experience as an IT Consultant as well as IT Manager. He has been made redundant 3 times in the past 7 years. The last time only 3 months ago. He is pulling his hair out as we speak trying to get another position but many of these positions are going to younger less experienced people who they pay much less. So the grass is not any greener this side of the Atlantic. So we are moving to Canada and leaving IT behind us.

Secondly about the networking...as a Canadian who has been in business there for many years...(this is in the west mind you but can't see why it would be different in the east) one of the fastest and best ways to network is to join a service organisation such as The Kiwanis Club, Rotary or the Lions Club. The Rotary Club is generally always business owners and may be difficult to join if you are not in business certainly the best one to try. The Kiwanis club is the next best one followed by the Lions Club. Although I know these clubs are generally also found in the UK, I can not state enough that in Canada these clubs are of great importance in the communities and the members of these clubs are generally well respected. Terrific way to get 'known' in your community and possibly make some great friends in the mix.

If you are a golfer...big time here in the West, you will find that ALL the bigwigs golf especially oil people! Try networking there...and get fit at the same time.

Networking is very important in Canada and the reasons for this are simple. It is a relatively small country...in numbers anyway...and people like to hire people they know...or their friend knows...or their fellow Kiwanis member knows...then take a chance on a complete stranger...whether you are British or not. It's a matter of you scratch my back...I'll scratch yours. (This obviously pertains to smaller communites...not necessarily Toronto, Vancouver etc. But it certainly is true of Calgary and most other towns)

So to beat the system...you must join the system. And enjoy it while you are at it!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dawnwynne
Hi all...well this has been such an interesting thread that I just have to put my 2 cents in. But firstly congrats Karl...very happy for you.

A couple points:

I couldn't agree more with MCC about the IT market in the UK. My hubby has over 20 years experience as an IT Consultant as well as IT Manager. He has been made redundant 3 times in the past 7 years. The last time only 3 months ago. He is pulling his hair out as we speak trying to get another position but many of these positions are going to younger less experienced people who they pay much less. So the grass is not any greener this side of the Atlantic. So we are moving to Canada and leaving IT behind us.

Secondly about the networking...as a Canadian who has been in business there for many years...(this is in the west mind you but can't see why it would be different in the east) one of the fastest and best ways to network is to join a service organisation such as The Kiwanis Club, Rotary or the Lions Club. The Rotary Club is generally always business owners and may be difficult to join if you are not in business certainly the best one to try. The Kiwanis club is the next best one followed by the Lions Club. Although I know these clubs are generally also found in the UK, I can not state enough that in Canada these clubs are of great importance in the communities and the members of these clubs are generally well respected. Terrific way to get 'known' in your community and possibly make some great friends in the mix.

If you are a golfer...big time here in the West, you will find that ALL the bigwigs golf especially oil people! Try networking there...and get fit at the same time.

Networking is very important in Canada and the reasons for this are simple. It is a relatively small country...in numbers anyway...and people like to hire people they know...or their friend knows...or their fellow Kiwanis member knows...then take a chance on a complete stranger...whether you are British or not. It's a matter of you scratch my back...I'll scratch yours. (This obviously pertains to smaller communites...not necessarily Toronto, Vancouver etc. But it certainly is true of Calgary and most other towns)

So to beat the system...you must join the system. And enjoy it while you are at it!!

There is one other service group which is very good for networking and that is the Kinsmen. However this group is men only, the women join Kinettes. This group tends to be younger say mid 20's-40's and tend to party heartier than the others

Last edited by dawnwynne; Feb 8th 2005 at 11:59 am.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:08 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

....and if you are Catholic - Knights of Columbus (again, infuriatingly just for men). If you can ally yourself with the Mennonite church in BC for those of you headed this way, jobs miraculously appear for their own folk too.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 2:55 pm
Glaswegian

... don't forget the Masons ... non-denominational by default ... the ladies have the Eastern Star.

Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I went back to Birmingham and London, England after 18 months in 2002, I was surprised to see the place looking so vibrant, there were a lot of restaurants, modernised city centres and streets were clean, it looked 10 times better than when I left it.

Although there was a lot more Asylum Seekers(not just a UK problem) the people seemed friendly and jobs were plenty.

It was refreshing to see more choice of shops then Canada and i really felt at home, friends would ask me about Canada, I told them about the bigger houses, open spaces and low key Canadian social life.

Before I moved to Canada, people were telling me how much greener the grass was over there, telling me about the great Canadian outdoors, Tim Hortons, Cheaper food and cheaper gas/petrol.

However in Ontario especially, there is a litter problem, I have seen drivers chuck their tim Hortons cups out the windows, around the lakeshore their is so much pollution. House prices in Ontario have rocketed as well, there are hundreds of beggars in Vancouver and Toronto City centre and I do believe there is a homicide a day in Toronto.

I don't mean to be so negative but really you have to evaluate where you came from and where you are now. I came from a nice part of Birmingham UK and now I live in a suburb of the GTA.
I have to agree, maybe a few years ago canada was better for living etc, the 70s here was bleak and a lot went to different countrys to get out of the recession here in the UK, now things have changed, apart from increased housing costs, which i guess is because we are a small island so land is rare i find britain booming, we have a healthy ecomomy, low taxes, and if you have kids you are laughing, on top of my husbands wage, we pick up £195 a week tax credsits and £200 a month child benefit, .. litter is unusual as theres always litter men everywhere, im going to canada in around 7 yrs as my husbands canadian, so its not by choice, and im going to miss my home, ive been to ontario, and the parts i saw (apart from the beautiful scenery) i wouldnt say were any better than britain, in fact some places were bloody depressing, and overall scruffy looking with all those telegraph lines criss crossing everywhere, just my point of view...sorry
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:24 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by jaynie35uk
litter is unusual as theres always litter men everywhere
Just curious ... where are you in the UK?

Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:31 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaynie35uk
all those telegraph lines criss crossing everywhere, just my point of view...sorry
That used to bug me, but I havent thought about it for years now. Sounds like you are not very keen on the move, which is probably a bad omen for making a permanent move here anyway, you need some optimism to get you through the rough transition period.

Your comments about litter etc surprise me. Last time I visited about 4 years ago I was struck by how messy and littered and vandalised the places I went were, and it never bothered me when I lived there. I guess I also got used to having space around, as nearly everywhere seemed terribly crowded too. And the people in the street were a miserable bunch compared to Canada.

Be interesting to see how I feel about it on the next visit this year, and to get the wifes perspective, as she has never been.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:35 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by iaink
Be interesting to see how I feel about it on the next visit this year, and to get the wifes perspective, as she has never been.
I haven't been back in almost 4 years ... I feel we should make a "duty visit" at some point, but I've got to admit I feel very reluctant about it.

I'll be interested to hear what your impressions are

Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Just curious ... where are you in the UK?
teesside, north east england

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.