Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unsuccessful Canadian Move

Wikiposts

Unsuccessful Canadian Move

Old Feb 8th 2005, 3:59 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsuccessful Canadian Move

I think it was the wise Glaswegian who said that the "canadian experience" thing perhaps boiled down to employers wanting to know that you were serious about staying in canada long term, so if you've been here a year or more going through the employment wringer they maybe think "OK this guys going to stick around, well take a chance" and you get more oportunities? Plus of course you know more people as time goes by.

Sounds plausible to me, although not good news for those fresh off the plane.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:00 am
Banned

Karl69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by welshmountie
Just when I was about to lose faith....Well done, now who can put me in touch with someone in Quinte region?

Where is the Quinte Region?

Your best bet is being around the Toronto GTA, there are some lovely places to live around Burlington and Oakville, even as far as Stoney Creek.

I can give you some advice regarding IT Jobs in the GTA

Regards

Karl
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
Congrats Karl...A ray of hope among the negativity. Really hope it works out.

Are you less "disillusioned" now
Less and Less by each passing minute.

Thanks

Karl

P.S What's this I heard about a "Crisis at Liverpool FC"
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:05 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karl69
Where is the Quinte Region?
Belleville, Trenton, Picton, Napanee. 90min E of TO, before you reach Kingston.

There is little or no IT business here, but he doesnt seem to be getting the message!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:10 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

P.S What's this I heard about a "Crisis at Liverpool FC"
Not won the league since 1990. If thats not a crisis then what is
Papers have to print something though dont they!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:11 am
Banned

You have to give yourself a chance, pretty postcards don't pay the bills.

I would seriously recommend Toronto, eventhough it is extremely competitive, the chances of getting a job are greater .

Once you have established yourself then you could look to applying for positions in Quinte(if there are any).

Regards

Karl
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:18 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

You have to give yourself a chance, pretty postcards don't pay the bills.

I would seriously recommend Toronto, eventhough it is extremely competitive, the chances of getting a job are greater .

Once you have established yourself then you could look to applying for positions in Quinte(if there are any).

Regards

Karl
Not sure I agree, everyone heads to toronto, so there is a lower statistical chance you will get lucky. The real problem for welshmounty is finding a likely IT job in this area at all. As its not an IT hotspot if he can find an opening there will not be much local talent to compete with, but there just arent going to be huge IT opportunuties here.

If he's set his heart on Quinte then a change of career (which is not unusual in canada anyway) might be necessary. There are hidden jobs here, just not in IT, and the cost of living (housing anyway) is a lot lower than TO, so big $ are not as important (or as likely!)
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:21 am
Banned

Not won the league since 1990. If thats not a crisis then what is
Papers have to print something though dont they!

Being an Albion fan, getting to 19th in the EPL will be fantastic
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:27 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
What makes you think European fashions should have a right to dominate north american markets?
As I wrote

"The life style is different with differing things holding the “value ‘ positions… Canadians have no real concept of fashion as a European would know it "

I never implied it was better...just different...

I would however say the standard of dress I've seen in London, Paris or Frankfurt In my opinion is smarter and more upto date in term of fashion than I would expect to see on the streets of Toronto.

And it’s one of main the reasons my wife enjoyed shopping for clothes when we were in Europe (she's the Canadain)
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:52 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I would however say the standard of dress I've seen in London, Paris or Frankfurt In my opinion is smarter and more upto date in term of fashion than I would expect to see on the streets of Toronto.
Depends where you are in London ... I used to work for the banks and split my time between docklands and the city ... you'd come away with very different impressions of how Londoners dressed depending where you go in London.

I can't speak for Toronto, but I like the golf shirt & khaki code in Calgary - also gives me an opportunity to wear the golf shirts given to me by past clients for successful projects or by vendors for gaining certifications

I've gone to meetings besuited in the past and it's thrown clients completely ... it's much easier to go for the smart casual look.

Up to date is relative term ... I can spot people who have just stepped off the plane wearing european clothes ... they look so quaint

Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:42 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Up to date is relative term ... I can spot people who have just stepped off the plane wearing european clothes ... they look so quaint
But they don't look as funny as the ones that step off the plane that we can tell have come from calgary...
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:45 am
Glaswegian

But they don't look as funny as the ones that step off the plane that we can tell have come from calgary...
Are you inferring that there's a problem wearing a white cowboy hat and boots in all seasons?

Last edited by Glaswegian; Feb 8th 2005 at 6:41 am.

Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Unsuccessful Canadian Move

I got the message all right, I just find it hard to believe. Maybe I've been lucky in IT and it is hard to get used to the fact I may not be able to get the job where I want it. You are probably right in many ways. My best chance may well be to find an openening where local talent is scarce and combine this with some other niche in the area. I'm not scared of risk on my own, but I do have a family to consider.

The forum has recently surprised me with the guy that has struggled for so long and now has his reward. It is great news.

Forget Liverpool(even though my Dad is from there), forget WBA. Chelsea rule football and the Flames rule hockey!!!!

Not sure I agree, everyone heads to toronto, so there is a lower statistical chance you will get lucky. The real problem for welshmounty is finding a likely IT job in this area at all. As its not an IT hotspot if he can find an opening there will not be much local talent to compete with, but there just arent going to be huge IT opportunuties here.

If he's set his heart on Quinte then a change of career (which is not unusual in canada anyway) might be necessary. There are hidden jobs here, just not in IT, and the cost of living (housing anyway) is a lot lower than TO, so big $ are not as important (or as likely!)
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:18 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by welshmountie
Flames rule hockey!!!!
Not this year they don't ... nobody does ...

Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:21 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of when my brother and his wife came here for the stampede last year. They had no sooner just entered into the meeting point at Calgary Airport when they were lassoed and tied up like two calves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.