Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unlocking a UK cell phone to use in Canada

Unlocking a UK cell phone to use in Canada

Old Aug 7th 2014, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Sparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unlocking a UK cell phone to use in Canada

Hi Everyone,

I have read as many posts as I can regarding cell phones so I don't repeat. Most of the discussions have been about different service providers and the best contracts offered. I havent come across one that answers my question (if there is one and I have missed it, please forgive me!)

I have an Iphone 4S on an o2 contract. The contract is on a month to month basis so I can cancel the contract whenever I want.

I wondered what people experiences have been getting an Iphone unlocked so it can be used in Canada.

Should I unlock the phone in the UK or wait until I get to Canada?

Has there been any experiences of the unlock phone not working once in Canada?

Are there other means to using a UK cell in Canada?

Sorry for all the questions! But I hope someone could answer them?

Thank you

Sparrow
Old Aug 7th 2014, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice
Default Re: Unlocking a UK cell phone to use in Canada

I have just requested my iphone 5 be unlocked. I told them it was to use abroad. They have sent an email saying it has been done and all I need to complete the process is put a foreign sim card in and connect to itunes.
I was/am also on o2. Hopefully i will get a new sim in the next week or so and can confirm if it was successful!
Old Aug 7th 2014, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

UK2USA2CA is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought an iphone 3gs with me from the UK and was also with O2. I got it unlocked in the UK (had to pay £20 I think). It worked perfectly here in Canada. What I do remember is that to complete the unlocking process I had to re-set and restore the phone via iTunes. If you are able to put another sim card in from a UK provider and it’s recognised, then the unlocking has been successful.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 12:38 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

O2 should unlock your phone for free. I've had 3 phones with O2 (an iPhone 3G, and iPhone 4, and an HTC One S) and O2 unlocked all three of them for free.

O2 | Help | Unlocking an O2 mobile to use on a different network
Old Aug 7th 2014, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

UK2USA2CA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
O2 should unlock your phone for free. I've had 3 phones with O2 (an iPhone 3G, and iPhone 4, and an HTC One S) and O2 unlocked all three of them for free.

Forgot to add: I was PAYG hence the charge.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Sparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
I have just requested my iphone 5 be unlocked. I told them it was to use abroad. They have sent an email saying it has been done and all I need to complete the process is put a foreign sim card in and connect to itunes.
I was/am also on o2. Hopefully i will get a new sim in the next week or so and can confirm if it was successful!
Thank you for the information

I look forward to your message!

Good luck

Sparrow ;
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UK2USA2CA
I brought an iphone 3gs with me from the UK and was also with O2. I got it unlocked in the UK (had to pay £20 I think). It worked perfectly here in Canada. What I do remember is that to complete the unlocking process I had to re-set and restore the phone via iTunes. If you are able to put another sim card in from a UK provider and it’s recognised, then the unlocking has been successful.
Thanks UK2USA2CA!

I'll have to find another SIM card or at least borrow one from somewhere!

Sparrow
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly

Thank you for the link! 'Twas most helpful
Old Aug 7th 2014, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparrow Clan
Thanks UK2USA2CA!

I'll have to find another SIM card or at least borrow one from somewhere!

Sparrow
If you borrow a mate's who's with a non-O2 provider and it works you should be golden.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Jennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,might be wort mentioning that I have recently unlocked my iPhone 5 with EE, it didn't work properly & turned out to be a problem with the phone that wasn't apparent until it was unlocked. I took it to apple, who reset it but it still didn't sort it, so they replaced it.
I'd make sure you unlock yours before your phone is out of warranty, whether IRS here or over there. If it's a Apple, it won't matter where you take it back to, but it will need to be under warranty if there are any probs, so the sooner the better maybe?
Old Aug 8th 2014, 12:06 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, unlock it in the UK before you go. You will need to do a full factory restore on the phone for it to fully be unlocked, so make sure you backup the phone before doing this.

You can test if it is unlocked by getting any friend that happens to have a SIM card that is a) from another network, and b) is the right size (think the 4S uses a micro sim).
Old Aug 8th 2014, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Right - for those who say you have to restore the phone to unlock it - as long as the phone is on iOS 7 that is not the case anymore. The providers are all misinformed about this. Case in point - I had the provider unlock two iPhones in the past year, a 5s and a 5c, unlocked from Telus and Rogers respectively, and whilst the rep insisted I had to restore the phone, I switched off my phone, popped in my Vodafone SIM card, switched my phone back on, and all that happened was a little "activating" loading bar came up and within 2 mins phone was unlocked. I then switched my phone back off, put back in my normal SIM, switched my phone on again and was good to go. No losing my info needed

The only thing is you need to be near a reliable Wi-Fi hotspot (ie one at home, not at the coffee shop) for the unlock to process without restoring.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jennyw13
Hi all,might be wort mentioning that I have recently unlocked my iPhone 5 with EE, it didn't work properly & turned out to be a problem with the phone that wasn't apparent until it was unlocked. I took it to apple, who reset it but it still didn't sort it, so they replaced it.
I'd make sure you unlock yours before your phone is out of warranty, whether IRS here or over there. If it's a Apple, it won't matter where you take it back to, but it will need to be under warranty if there are any probs, so the sooner the better maybe?
Err, unlocking before the warranty out is irrelevant. You can unlock anytime as long as the provider will do it for you. For most providers in Canada it is after 3 months on contract or immediately if on prepaid/month to month, but there is always a fee. (As you may know the Canadian providers usually like to screw you on everything!)

In the UK it seems it is free and immediate. (which is how it should be)
Old Aug 8th 2014, 3:58 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

We unlocked our iPhone 4s's before we got here and they worked fine, we went to Australia for three weeks in November/December and again worked fine. We then upgraded to the 5s, so I'd suggest unlock in the UK and you will be fine
Old Aug 8th 2014, 7:34 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Right - for those who say you have to restore the phone to unlock it - as long as the phone is on iOS 7 that is not the case anymore. The providers are all misinformed about this. Case in point - I had the provider unlock two iPhones in the past year, a 5s and a 5c, unlocked from Telus and Rogers respectively, and whilst the rep insisted I had to restore the phone, I switched off my phone, popped in my Vodafone SIM card, switched my phone back on, and all that happened was a little "activating" loading bar came up and within 2 mins phone was unlocked. I then switched my phone back off, put back in my normal SIM, switched my phone on again and was good to go. No losing my info needed
Will this work with iPhone 4 as well. Mine has been unlocked by the provider (Vodafone) but I am unable to do the restore via iTunes as my macbook is too old and doesn't recognise the phone. Someone suggested using iCloud but they only give you 5G and some of that is taken up with my iPad.

So only option is to put a new SIM card in and see what happens. How will I know if it hasn't worked?

I miss the old phones where you just changed the sim and switched it back on again and hey presto! None of this messing about restoring mumbo jumbo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.