Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unlimited Fees for University

Unlimited Fees for University

Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unlimited Fees for University

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah. It would have been another world in terms of cost had one of mine not set out on a tour of Canadian schools; NS, QC, BC so far.
Where do you live?
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Where do you live?
Ontario. Toronto at the time of her starting this odyssey.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Then it means that perhaps the nation might regain some respect for skilled trades, technical colleges and vocational qualifications, or even (hush!) apprenticeships or on the job training.

The short-sighted obsession with getting 50% of kids to start university degrees completely baffles me.
Agreed.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite. There are out-of-state rates just as in the US. They may not have to pay the international rate but a student in Quebec, for example, resident in Ontario, pays more than a student at the same school who is resident in Quebec.
Your example is certainly correct for a Canadian citizen - one who is a non resident of Quebec, but it is misleading and not reflective of the rest of Canada, and certainly not our experience from a NB perspective. A non resident Canadian citizen pays about the same in Quebec at the end of the day as a NB student does in NB.

Our daughter went to UNB - when she started we were living in Europe, she was treated as an out of Province applicant (in relation to NB students having priority in the nursing program) and that did have an impact but there was no difference from a monetary perspective.

As a Canadian citizen she was charged the same fees as a student residing in NB.

Here is a good fee calculator for a quick swag:

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/my_m...onType=&facID=

Good article:

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome

Last edited by airbornesapper; Oct 14th 2010 at 12:19 am.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. It would have been another world in terms of cost had one of mine not set out on a tour of Canadian schools; NS, QC, BC so far.
At least you don't live in the US. The tuition fees here are ridiculously high. Even if my daughter went to her local "in state" public university (Maryland), the cost of tuition would still be higher than if she attended a Canadian school. I know a lot of US kids are starting to look at Canada for university as it could still be a bargain compared to going to "out of state" US schools.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian universities are the responsibility of the provinces and territories. Funding is also provided by the federal goverment, research grants and tuition fees.

Tuition fees in Canada are an absolute bargain. I live in the US but my daughter (who is a Canadian citizen because she was born there) is planning to go to university in Canada next year. Canadian citizens pay domestic tuition fees in Canada regardless of where they went to high school.
As someone said, not quite. She'll pay out-of-province fees for the first year. And the rest too, unless she establishes herself as a resident for tax purposes in the province of her choice.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:17 am
Born again atheist

At least you don't live in the US. The tuition fees here are ridiculously high. Even if my daughter went to her local "in state" public university (Maryland), the cost of tuition would still be higher than if she attended a Canadian school. I know a lot of US kids are starting to look at Canada for university as it could still be a bargain compared to going to "out of state" US schools.
Thread hijacking is of course the norm on here, but we're talking about the rationality of university tuition fees per se, not the relative levels in different jurisdictions.

I hear it's very cheap in China.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
As someone said, not quite. She'll pay out-of-province fees for the first year. And the rest too, unless she establishes herself as a resident for tax purposes in the province of her choice.
At the 4 schools she has applied to at least, there's no distinction between "in province" and "out of province". Canadian students pay the same tuition fees at Western, UofT, McMaster and Queens - regardless of where they went to high school (and that includes anywhere in the world for Canadian citizens).
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

At least you don't live in the US. The tuition fees here are ridiculously high.
But the opportunities for funding are greater. One of that daughter's friends went to Brown, after counting the iced hockey scholarship, it was cheaper than my child's trip to King's. Later, when that child was mulling schools in Canada and the US, there were a number of options at similar cost, it was the chance to live in French that sent her to Montreal. Again, when she finished that degree, US schools were an option but none of them were coastal, BC offered indulgence of her real passion; sailing. The cost difference was neither here nor there.

She lived in Alaska for 18 months between schools and now misses America, I would not be at all surprised if her next course was on that side of the border. otoh, she's lazily dating a former student at Columbia, a Canadian who ran out of money. It comes down, I think, to the individual and the chances offered to them, there isn't a general rule as to which country will offer the cheaper course.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

At the 4 schools she has applied to at least, there's no distinction between "in province" and "out of province". Canadian students pay the same tuition fees at Western, UofT, McMaster and Queens - regardless of where they went to high school (and that includes anywhere in the world for Canadian citizens).
One hopes, of course, that Western is a great deal less costly than the other options. That's the school girls attend in the hope of marrying well.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately that is not the same in UK. My son who was born in the UK (with one British parent) was treated as an international student. They did not tell us that when he was accepted and I took it for granted as he was a dual citizen.....anyway, an expensive omission on our part.

As he had not lived in the UK/ EU for two years (if I recall correctly) prior to commencing his studies, he was not eligible for the lower fees. Ah well.

Anyway, good luck....
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

But the opportunities for funding are greater. One of that daughter's friends went to Brown, after counting the iced hockey scholarship, it was cheaper than my child's trip to King's. Later, when that child was mulling schools in Canada and the US, there were a number of options at similar cost, it was the chance to live in French that sent her to Montreal. Again, when she finished that degree, US schools were an option but none of them were coastal, BC offered indulgence of her real passion; sailing. The cost difference was neither here nor there.

She lived in Alaska for 18 months between schools and now misses America, I would not be at all surprised if her next course was on that side of the border. otoh, she's lazily dating a former student at Columbia, a Canadian who ran out of money. It comes down, I think, to the individual and the chances offered to them, there isn't a general rule as to which country will offer the cheaper course.
True - students often don't pay the full sticker price at US unis. Scholarships and merit aid (both forms of free money) can make a big difference. A free ride is probably more likely in the US than in Canada. I reckon my daughter actually has a good chance to go to Maryland for free - her grades and test scores are good and, by law, Maryland must have at least 70% of its students be Maryland residents. However, for most kids who are Canadian citizens living in the US, Canadian universities are going to be a very attractive option in terms of cost and quality.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Oct 14th 2010 at 12:38 am.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
Unfortunately that is not the same in UK. My son who was born in the UK (with one British parent) was treated as an international student. They did not tell us that when he was accepted and I took it for granted as he was a dual citizen.....anyway, an expensive omission on our part.

As he had not lived in the UK/ EU for two years (if I recall correctly) prior to commencing his studies, he was not eligible for the lower fees. Ah well.

Anyway, good luck....
Yep - I know. My daughter actually has 4 citizenships (Canada, US, UK and Ireland) and we looked into the possibility of her attending uni in the UK or Ireland. However, as you stated, both countries have residency requirements that need to be satisfied before a student qualifies for domestic tuition fees. Canada works differently - luckily for us!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

True - students often don't pay the full sticker price at US unis.
This I know. Our on-staff lawyer was previous a scholarship negotiator and still does some of that part time. (It was a jolt to learn that there is such a job as "scholarship negotiator"). His latest coup is a free ride at Brandeis for someone who's not even in the top ten players in Canada.

It's a strange world, Sandy.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:30 am
Born again atheist

I may have erred. She won't be eligible for OSAP though.

<I'm not involved in the dirty financial side of universities>.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.