Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unlimited Fees for University

Unlimited Fees for University

Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unlimited Fees for University

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't want to get into a pissing match with you about which universities are ranked wherever for whatever discipline in research terms. This discussion, as I said, is about undergrad funding models, which is a totally different thing.

Besides, I assume from your earlier post that you do something related to "Management Sciences", so I find it strange that the top ranked business school in Canada, isn't among the 5 you list.

And of course the very idea that 5 Canadian Universities would top the global list in any subject raises an eyebrow (although Lumberjacking and Seal-bashing Studies might be an exception).
I didn't say that those 5 Canadian univs top the global list (for *****'s sake, read what I've written), I said that in my field they're superior to any of the depts in sweden, finland or germany.

I don't work in the management sciences but I know how good the business schools are in Canada. Schulich and Rotman probably compete with LBS or anywhere else for that matter.

And what I said related to u/graduate funding models. The thread was about tuition fees, right or wrong. I said right, esp now, and esp in the context of keeping univs afloat in testing times. I also think a nominal contribution by students is right anyhow.

Anyway, I'm spent now ...

Last edited by London Mike; Oct 18th 2010 at 4:51 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
I hear what you're saying but I don't think credibility is the issue here. You can't get more credible than a top ranked peer reveiwed journal. I just think the UK and US government should hold their heads in shame - on the econominc crisis, as with other things, they did not listen to what academics were telling them.

The UK's in a mess. See this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11550619
The reality is tuition fees are going to go up, rightly or wrongly. The probable consequence is that demand for the product overall will decline, but price sensitivity will vary in different sectors of the market. The more popular institutions will get away with significant increases whereas the less popular may even have to reduce tuition fees to fill places so they may not even be viable as businesses anymore. As tuition fees go up it will be interesting to see if a more demanding culture develops in terms of the education product received for the tuition fee. I'd expect legal action against universities for failing to provide adequate tuition to pick up.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
The reality is tuition fees are going to go up, rightly or wrongly. The probable consequence is that demand for the product overall will decline, but price sensitivity will vary in different sectors of the market. The more popular institutions will get away with significant increases whereas the less popular may even have to reduce tuition fees to fill places so they may not even be viable as businesses anymore. As tuition fees go up it will be interesting to see if a more demanding culture develops in terms of the education product received for the tuition fee. I'd expect legal action against universities for failing to provide adequate tuition to pick up.
What seems to happen in the US is that students keep transferring between instiutions...and an awful lot drop out. Tuition is often provided by graduate students, it doesn't seem like higher fees lead to better tuition. In fact, the community colleges' boast is that you get taught by real teachers.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:02 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
I didn't say that those 5 Canadian univs top the global list (for *****'s sake, read what I've written), I said that in my field they're superior to any of the depts in sweden, finland or germany.

Are you the sort of person who like me wants to get the last word?

Read what I posted bozo.

And what I said related to u/graduate funding models.
Most of it (almost all of it), did not. I've no idea about the funding flows within private US universities such as U. Michigan but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the tuition fees supported vast salaries for the football and basketball coaches and millions more for recruiting athletes for these sports and others.

This is not something that happens in Canada. If a Canadian Uni. spent a penny of Provincially provided tuition related funding (or student fees) out of order there'd be hell to pay (quite correctly).

There is not a chance in hell of using those resources for reasons such as to buy research infrastructure or provide start up funds for new faculty (nor should there be).

Last edited by Novocastrian; Oct 19th 2010 at 2:04 am.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:06 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Are you the sort of person who like me wants to get the last word?

. . . within private US universities such as U. Michigan . . .
It's a public institution.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It's a public institution.
Well yes. But according to whatsit, their fees are exorbitant anyway.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:32 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to resurrect such a disputatious thread but I see the British middle classes are attempting to riot against the rise in university tuition fees. It's funny watching leftist middle class students upset that the working class no longer has to pay for all of their education. And, there's more than a little irony that they're protesting at the party's headquarters that presumably their parents voted for. Anyway good stuff all around, nothing will change of course, but by-god they'll voice their displeasure.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Just called my son who was on the London march out of the majority who were peacefully marching, it was spoilt by a minority as per usual .
Oh and he isnt middle class ,his student loan barely covers fees and rent he works three jobs just to cover the basics
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:48 pm

Well he had a nice day off from lectures and it seemed quite sunny.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Well he had a nice day off from lectures and it seemed quite sunny.
yep safe and sound and back in his high priced uni digs
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to resurrect such a disputatious thread but I see the British middle classes are attempting to riot against the rise in university tuition fees. It's funny watching leftist middle class students upset that the working class no longer has to pay for all of their education. And, there's more than a little irony that they're protesting at the party's headquarters that presumably their parents voted for. Anyway good stuff all around, nothing will change of course, but by-god they'll voice their displeasure.
Were there any orange carton incidents?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:25 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Eastbound
Just called my son who was on the London march out of the majority who were peacefully marching, it was spoilt by a minority as per usual .
Oh and he isnt middle class ,his student loan barely covers fees and rent he works three jobs just to cover the basics
Often happens. The idiots are the ones who sell the papers, and ruin it for everybody else. Seems to happen all too regularly at British marches.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:26 pm

I think its all over now as most will have gone back to watch the footie tonight.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 3:17 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant, just brilliant.

I work for a University in England at the moment and I can't believe that someone so far away could sum this whole thing up better than almost anyone that I've met here walking around campus for the last couple of weeks.

Personally, I support these moves by the current government, in fact it is likely only the move by this government that I have supported since they came into power, but that doesn't stop leftist idiots trying to lecture me and shove flyers into my path on my way into work each morning.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:13 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I graduated in 1992 after a four year degree with a full maintenance grant and a small student loan.

I graduated from the worst University in the Good University guide for that time. As a result, I had to do a Master's at a good University to get my first job in the career of my choice.

As someone who's experienced all sides of the debate, from being in a full grant through to having to pay for my full Master's year myself, my perspective is that University places should be available for anyone who want's them, and should be as well funded as is financially viable for the economy. Therefore tuition for undergraduate degrees should be paid in full, but maintenance should be funded by the student themselves.

As the first child in my family to graduate from University, I would have been hesitant to go if it had meant that I would have to be in a severe amount of debt, but probably would have balanced the value of my education to my future career against the costs of maintenance. I also personally know people here in Canada who are still repaying their student debt in their late 30's

I think therefore that education should be based mostly on your academic ability, and then on your ability to pay (either now or later) as it's a great incentive to work hard....