Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unlimited Fees for University

Unlimited Fees for University

Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

David P will become famous soon enough
Default Unlimited Fees for University

With rumours that the British government is going to allow universities to charge unlimited tuition fees, a possible graduate tax and students graduating with £30,000 of debt I just wondered how Canada deals with Universty funding.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:23 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unlimited Fees for University

Canada has tuition fees and graduate debt just like, or perhaps currently, in excess of the UK. Relatives here have graduated from Bachelor and Masters programmes with between $50-70k of debt depending upon which school they have attended. (The $70k was for a Masters of Speech Pathology degree from a US University.)

My perspective is that the UK is catching up to the rest of the world. Perhaps it will change the culture so that not everyone goes to University, which is a good thing IMHO.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Canada has tuition fees and graduate debt just like, or perhaps currently, in excess of the UK. Relatives here have graduated from Bachelor and Masters programmes with between $50-70k of debt depending upon which school they have attended. (The $70k was for a Masters of Speech Pathology degree from a US University.)

My perspective is that the UK is catching up to the rest of the world. Perhaps it will change the culture so that not everyone goes to University, which is a good thing IMHO.
<opens lid of can. inspects worms. walks away.>
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

A good friend of mine who is a doctor here in Canada had $250k debt from his time at University. How does that compare?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

UK has just announced cap of £7000 per year on fees, but with student loans and bank overdrafts, I guess the average undergraduate will be leave uni with debts of £40-£50k.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich07
UK has just announced cap of £7000 per year on fees, but with student loans and bank overdrafts, I guess the average undergraduate will be leave uni with debts of £40-£50k.
Luckily, £7000 is only about $11,400 these days.

Dogs. Country. Going to.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Education funding in Canada is provincial and consequently there is variability across the provinces. On average for the humanities, social and behavioural sciences annual tuition fees are at $5,000 p/a for u/grad which is basically equivalent to the UK (on today's exchange rate). Business/Law schools can be a lot higher - Schulich in Toronto is at $25k per year (but it's a top school).

Compared with the US, fees in Canada aren't very high at all and overall the quality of higher education is better here, in my view. That is, there is LOTS of variability in standards within the US system - and with some great univs - but even the lower end universities can be quite expensive. Michigan State is now charging something like $40k p/annum and the average state university $20k-$30k p/year. In Canada, there are some excellent universities but the difference between the top and lower tier universities is nowhere near as pronounced as the US with fees being more even - aside from in Business, Law etc.

The big killer in Canada is the price of textbooks. Average textbook price in North America $130.00, but where the u/graduate at Michigan State isn't going to baulk too much at that price (especially with the availability of lots of used books) because they'll have already spent tonnes on fees, here Canadian u/grads feel the pinch and typically spend $1,000 per year on textbooks.

I'm boring myself now so I'll shut up.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:37 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Luckily, £7000 is only about $11,400 these days.

Dogs. Country. Going to.
But, that's twice as much as the current university fees (posh schools aside). Where is the benefit to the consumer of said university education? Are you twice as brainy at the end of it all, do you have twice as many job opportunities? Or are you just twice as broke?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:41 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
But, that's twice as much as the current university fees (posh schools aside). Where is the benefit to the consumer of said university education? Are you twice as brainy at the end of it all, do you have twice as many job opportunities? Or are you just twice as broke?
I'm not sure if I was quite clear. All university tuition fees are anathema. There is simply no rational reason for them.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:50 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure if I was quite clear. All university tuition fees are anathema. There is simply no rational reason for them.
Gotcha. I was just moaning in general, to no one in particular.

Dogs.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Goodbye Arts Degrees.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:10 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

They're adults who're investing in themselves, presumably expecting a substantial financial return on their investment. They should pay for such a benefit, my nan shouldn't be paying for them. The gravy train for posh people having free higher education that poorer people pay for is just distant inequitable memory.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
They're adults who're investing in themselves, presumably expecting a substantial financial return on their investment. They should pay for such a benefit, my nan shouldn't be paying for them. The gravy train for posh people having free higher education that poorer people pay for is just distant inequitable memory.
The counter to this is that an educated society makes for a more prosperous economy (yes, more debt laden at a personal level but ...). Then, everyone benefits. So the state should shoulder some burden. I do agree with Oink that students who will benefit from an education should pay for some of it, perhaps a significant amount of it. When I hear about big protests for $5k p/year fees in Canada it does make me laugh a bit.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

And poor people getting a higher education could be out the window too. Oh no, that's right, they're going to have bursaries.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:59 pm
Born again atheist

If I thought you were even slightly serious, I'd shoot you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.