British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   university prep/grade 12 qualifications? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/university-prep-grade-12-qualifications-937128/)

Stumpylegs Feb 13th 2021 11:50 pm

university prep/grade 12 qualifications?

So I had my university application for a Canadian university turned down today - reason being they don't see me as having a grade 12 education (I left formal UK education at 17 post AS level to pursue a trade) - despite having had qualifications assessed by WES as being equivalent to 1 year of Canadian university, and others assessed as equivalent to a high school diploma. I included all this information, along with a letter/email explaining it all, so appealing the decision seems somewhat fruitless - I have to accept that and move on.

My question is if a Canadian didn't finish high school how would they prep for a Canadian university - are there prep courses/an option to sit grade 12 as a mature student etc?? I've reached out to the university but given the speed of their replies I'm not expecting much back, so thought some of you knowledgeable folk might know. In the UK if you hadn't got A levels you could sit a foundation year, or could go and sit A levels.

Alternatively does anyone know whether there are colleges/universities (aside from Athabasca open university) that commonly take on people without a grade 12 education?

Twitcher1958 Feb 14th 2021 12:07 am

Re: university prep/grade 12 qualifications?

I think there are such courses - our neighbour works in Guidance, specifically helping people who don’t have a High School Diploma to get appropriate qualifications - typically immigrants or people who left school early. Perhaps contact your local high school or Board for advice?

Siouxie Feb 14th 2021 12:24 am

https://universityadmissions.ca/cate...t-high-school/

Stumpylegs Feb 14th 2021 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958 (Post 12971629)
I think there are such courses - our neighbour works in Guidance, specifically helping people who don’t have a High School Diploma to get appropriate qualifications - typically immigrants or people who left school early. Perhaps contact your local high school or Board for advice?

Magic thanks for the response, probably should have said I'm currently outside of Canada!

I'm going to email a few more universities in the morning explaining my situation in the hope one of them either takes me on the qualifications I have - or points me in the right direction.

It's not that I'm lacking in qualifications just the university I contacted states I must have grade 12 to be considered. My year of university level education in a related subject isn't enough to gain me entry (which I sort of understand, policy is policy) but going for a year or 2 of nightschool in the UK to gain A levels isnt really an option.

Something like a foundation/bridging year at a Canadian designated learning institute would be ideal just not sure such a thing exists like it does in the UK.

Stumpylegs Feb 14th 2021 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12971633)

I read that exact page about 2 hours ago!!

going down it line by line.

1) Im definitely a mature (at least by age) student.

2) Apparently SAT tests are no more (might be able to squeeze a test in in May before they stop in June), ACT site to see if there are test centres in the UK is currently down, and the 3/4 universities I looked at make no mention of either being of any use for applying.

3) definitely considering that option, although it doesn't really help my current situation (trying to get into Canada in the next 12 months)

4,5 and 6 don't really apply to my situation.

I tried 7 but it clearly didn't work for this application!!!

R I C H Feb 14th 2021 8:54 am

https://www.tru.ca/distance/plar-ol.html

Stumpylegs Feb 14th 2021 11:02 am

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 12971693)

Thanks I've emailed them now, they seem to be pushing towards open university which isn't what I want, but I've fired them a brief email explaining my situation, my qualifications etc and will see what they come back with.

They also offer some courses that look like they would be equivalent to high school graduation in Canada delivered online - so have asked whether they would hold any weight for getting me onto a university level course with them if I were to sit them. (slightly annoyingly, they are not cheap, not quick and looking at the course content whilst a few of the things mentioned gave me a sharp intake of breath (trigonometry, quadratic equations etc) its nothing I haven't done before albeit 15 years ago.

Revin Kevin Feb 14th 2021 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12971721)
Thanks I've emailed them now, they seem to be pushing towards open university which isn't what I want, but I've fired them a brief email explaining my situation, my qualifications etc and will see what they come back with.

They also offer some courses that look like they would be equivalent to high school graduation in Canada delivered online - so have asked whether they would hold any weight for getting me onto a university level course with them if I were to sit them. (slightly annoyingly, they are not cheap, not quick and looking at the course content whilst a few of the things mentioned gave me a sharp intake of breath (trigonometry, quadratic equations etc) its nothing I haven't done before albeit 15 years ago.

Supprised Canadian University's haven't got the option of a "foundation year", this is where they bolt on an extra year before your degree course to bring you up to speed. It seems to be all the rage in the UK and nets them an extra £9500 in tuition fees!

Stumpylegs Feb 14th 2021 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12971752)
Supprised Canadian University's haven't got the option of a "foundation year", this is where they bolt on an extra year before your degree course to bring you up to speed. It seems to be all the rage in the UK and nets them an extra £9500 in tuition fees!

That's exactly what I was looking for/after if I can't get straight in, but doesn't seem to be a common thing over there.

There is certain universities that will take UK foundation year courses and likewise Ryerson University in Toronto seems to offer foundation years - but ideally would want BC, SK or AB in all honesty (also no mention as to whether Ryerson Uni foundation year transfers over to other universities or not).

scilly Feb 14th 2021 5:18 pm

"Foundation year" would probably/possibly equal a mature student (or one who had failed Grade 12 for some reason) doing upgrading though local community college evening classes.

Look up the local community college for the city you're interested in and see what they're offering in the way of Grade 11 and 12 equivalency classes.

Such classes are also often offered by the local School Board, but I think those are restricted to students still in school who want to better their marks or try to do an extra subject during the summer.

Fore example, in BC look at this site ....

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/e...dult-education

especially this section .......

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/e...dult-upgrading

I noted this section in that last link ..............

Post-Secondary Institutions

Post-secondary institutions (colleges and universities) offer tuition-free literacy, upgrading and high school-level courses which are referred to as Adult Basic Education, Access or pre-postsecondary courses. Registration and student fees may vary and apply toward Adult Education courses, so it’s best to check with the public post-secondary institution directly about related fees. Credits for Adult Education courses are generally recognized and transferred between participating institutions.
Search "Adult Education Upgrade" for other provinces.

Siouxie Feb 14th 2021 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12971755)
That's exactly what I was looking for/after if I can't get straight in, but doesn't seem to be a common thing over there.

There is certain universities that will take UK foundation year courses and likewise Ryerson University in Toronto seems to offer foundation years - but ideally would want BC, SK or AB in all honesty (also no mention as to whether Ryerson Uni foundation year transfers over to other universities or not).

There are some courses for that here... they are called 'transitional year programme' or 'access program' or similar. :)
What is the purpose of entering Uni - as a route to Canada or to gain points towards a route to Canada, or for professional / personal advancement?

If it's as a 'roundabout' route, you will need to attend a Uni / College on the designated learning institution list etc., to get a study permit... if it's for points, it will need to be an academic course of a minimum of a year to count.

What is TYP?

The Transitional Year Programme (TYP) at the University of Toronto is a special access program for adults who do not have the formal educational background to qualify for university admission directly. TYP offers an intensive, 8-month, full-time course of studies leading to entrance to an Arts and Science degree program.

What other access programs are available in Toronto?

Academic Bridging Program at Woodsworth College at the University of Toronto
Transition Year Program at the York University
Various other access programs through Chang School of Continuing Education at the Ryerson University
There's also 'mature' entry to some Uni's that might work for you if you have been out of education for at least 4 years and are over 21 :D

You could possibly sit your GED online - that would give you a High School Equivalency https://ged.com/en-ca/about_test/pri...rovince_rules/
https://www.alberta.ca/academic-upgr...-or-older.aspx
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/e...iploma-program

Stumpylegs Feb 15th 2021 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12971884)
There are some courses for that here... they are called 'transitional year programme' or 'access program' or similar. :)
What is the purpose of entering Uni - as a route to Canada or to gain points towards a route to Canada, or for professional / personal advancement?

Little bit from column A, little bit from Column B - I've got PR application in for some time now, the other half is getting somewhat impatient with the whole thing. Getting in via a study permit would at least get things moving along with regards a new life, it may turn our application from outland to inland and get approved a little quicker. Canada in lockdown is still likely better than the UK in lockdown.

The other part of this is I have now passed 2 birthdays since my ITA, as a result my points have dropped somewhat, getting a higher level qualification, the chance to work off the back of a PGWP, as well as studying in the right province to get me ties for PNP would hopefully give me a second chance at PR should my current application be turned down or have the pull plugged on it for any reason.

Stumpylegs Feb 15th 2021 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12971884)

here's also 'mature' entry to some Uni's that might work for you if you have been out of education for at least 4 years and are over 21 :D

You could possibly sit your GED online - that would give you a High School Equivalency https://ged.com/en-ca/about_test/pri...rovince_rules/
https://www.alberta.ca/academic-upgr...-or-older.aspx
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/e...iploma-program

Thanks, I'm definitely "mature" although my other half would argue otherwise.

Going to have to look at sitting my GED - appears you have to sit the exam in person, but I can do it in the UK - going to have to see if universities/colleges will take that.

Luckily one of the colleges I was looking at and have reached out to in BC are also on their adult graduation programme, so hopefully if they wont take me in my current uneducated form they may be able to assist.

I had looked at Ryerson - but they seem to be the only university doing it, and there is no mention if such a course would qualify me for other universities or just their own - what looking at Ryerson and other universities did make clear though is the fact that I'd applied for an engineering degree is I have potentially gone for one of the harder degrees to be accepted onto, so maybe need to rethink that - the original university I applied to made no mention of needing any more than high school graduation, and the fact I've got a year post secondary in the eyes of WES in a vaguely related subject I assumed it would be a given. But noticed many other universities want top grades from grade 12 in maths, physics etc to even consider you.