Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

University Fees

Wikiposts

University Fees

Old Jun 29th 2009, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

WendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant future
Default University Fees

Hi, just a quick one about fees.

I've noticed on Canadian Uni sites they give two price bands, domestic and international. If we have PR status are we classed as domestic?

My husband has just started to worry about fees for our children when they reach Uni age. Are Canadian fees far more than the UK?

Thanks
Old Jun 29th 2009, 12:56 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University Fees

If you are resident in Canada you are resident, therefore domestic. International is only for students who nominally live outside the country and come in for the university course.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:08 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WendyS

I've noticed on Canadian Uni sites they give two price bands, domestic and international. If we have PR status are we classed as domestic?

My husband has just started to worry about fees for our children when they reach Uni age. Are Canadian fees far more than the UK?

Thanks
My son plans to go to UBC and on their website they estimate with accommodation, food, and fees to allocate $16000 per year.

There is no 'grant' system in Alberta/canada but there is $$$ of dollars available in scholarships. These of course have to be applied for but come from all places. A lot of companies will annually give a scholarship award to relatives of staff, our local church gives money to two students and in Alberta there is the Rutherford award which goes to all students who qualify and apply.

I have met students who have not had to work during university because they got all the scholarships they could. I have also met people who are 30 are still paying off school fees because when they were 18 they could not be bothered to write a name on a form!!

Unlike the UK the school loans do not get 'wiped off'. Students use to declare themselves bankrupt at 25 and get rid of the student loan. Not any more, you can travel, you can go bankrupt, you can be homeless, but be sure that the school loan will be with you all the time!!!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
If you are resident in Canada you are resident, therefore domestic. International is only for students who nominally live outside the country and come in for the university course.
Note though that there are different fees according to province of residence and province of university. It's usually cheaper to attend a school in your province of residence.

Last edited by dbd33; Jun 29th 2009 at 2:48 am. Reason: added "usually"
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:02 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

It's cheaper for my son to go to Memorial Uni in NFLD. Fees, including medical, room in 4-bedroom apartment on campus, plus food vouchers are around $9,500 per year which is much cheaper than available in all NS. Of course we will have to pay for flights home for the holidays so we had to add that expense into the pot.

Memorial also has a good reputation and I'll bet a fantastic social-life can be had in St Johns
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:20 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Will your kids be going to uni within four of years of you becoming PR or do you just not intend to take out citizenship.

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
TWP holders are 'resident' but their children would be charged Internationally (AFIAK)

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
It's cheaper for my son to go to Memorial Uni in NFLD. Fees, including medical, room in 4-bedroom apartment on campus, plus food vouchers are around $9,500 per year which is much cheaper than available in all NS. Of course we will have to pay for flights home for the holidays so we had to add that expense into the pot.

Memorial also has a good reputation and I'll bet a fantastic social-life can be had in St Johns
Nah you could just leave him there
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:25 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Will your kids be going to uni within four of years of you becoming PR or do you just not intend to take out citizenship.

TWP holders are 'resident' but their children would be charged Internationally (AFIAK)

Nah you could just leave him there

I think a trip up there myself to be screeched in and kiss the cod may be the way to go
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:46 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

When our two went through school a few years back we were fortunate enough to be able to pay their fees for them but made them sign promissory notes for it. The deal was that if they became "Christmas Graduates" (flunked out) they knew that they would be on the hook for all of the fees. I don't know if that was the incentive but they both ended up on The Dean's List and without Student Loans.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

WendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant future

Thanks for all your replies

We're hoping to locate to Vancouver Island and with any luck they'll want to go to Victoria Uni and so cut the lodgings cost.

My eldest son is 16 in October so I assume will go to Uni as a PR. We will take citzenship when we can.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
When our two went through school a few years back we were fortunate enough to be able to pay their fees for them but made them sign promissory notes for it. The deal was that if they became "Christmas Graduates" (flunked out) they knew that they would be on the hook for all of the fees. I don't know if that was the incentive but they both ended up on The Dean's List and without Student Loans.
I think i'll give that a go.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine liked university so much that they're going back for another round in September. My father must be turning in his grave, he thought their first courses a waste of money on account of them being girls.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 3:25 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies

We're hoping to locate to Vancouver Island and with any luck they'll want to go to Victoria Uni and so cut the lodgings cost.

My eldest son is 16 in October so I assume will go to Uni as a PR. We will take citzenship when we can.
Many students take the first year of a four year baccalaureate at a local college. In the Lower Mainland these are colleges like Langara, Kwantlen or Capilano. There must be equivalents on the Island. These have lower fees and the students can live at home for an extra year.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 3:45 am
Scottish Canuck

We do not have an education fund in place because Uni is free in Scotland. We have decided to pay our son's first year fees, thereafter will pay at least half so he will have a student loan. We are doing this because money comes easy to kids and they don't really appreciate items given to them free throughout their lives. Four years down the line it will be my younger son's time to move onto further education so we will do the same for him. Any extra education after the 4 years will be mainly self-funded because we cannot afford to pay out 2 set of fees at the same time.

However, if we are feeling flush with cash (somehow lol) down the line, then we would not see our kids in poverty but there is no way I will bail them out if they are blowing their money on fast cars, fancy holidays, etc and have no money to live on - tough love . Our oldest already has a p/t job here and has been told he will need one in NFLD too. He is okay with that

I was never handed anything when I was younger. Paid for my own driving lessons, saved for over a year for a deposit on a car, etc, etc. Teaches you a lesson on how to work hard for what you want and pay for it upfront instead of relying on credit cards to fund non-essential items .
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:28 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
W
I was never handed anything when I was younger. Paid for my own driving lessons, saved for over a year for a deposit on a car, etc, etc. Teaches you a lesson on how to work hard for what you want and pay for it upfront instead of relying on credit cards to fund non-essential items .
Neither was I ever handed anything. I had to graft for every single thing in one way or another. Sure I help my kids out if they need it but there is always a promissory note, repayment schedule and interest. Fortunately they seem to have learned from it and have made their own way. I still have an aversion to credit cards and personal debt. If I can't afford the gig it doesn't happen. Too many people get in the glue from easy credit for instant gratification. Anything that you don't have to work for has little personal value.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

Anything that you don't have to work for has little personal value.
Speak for yourself. I find that having to work for things detracts from the enjoyment of them, I like things handed to me on a plate.