British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Universal Child Tax Benefit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/universal-child-tax-benefit-616185/)

AmyDavid Jun 22nd 2009 11:05 am

Universal Child Tax Benefit

Does anyone know if the June payment (sent out on 20th June) is for May or for June?

It's confusing me!

thedignans Jun 22nd 2009 11:27 am

Re: Universal Child Tax Benefit

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 7687717)
Does anyone know if the June payment (sent out on 20th June) is for May or for June?

It's confusing me!

Hi there,

It's for June.
You should recieve your new assessment/rate soon telling you how much your going to get for the next year as it starts in July.

AmyDavid Jun 22nd 2009 11:28 am

Originally Posted by thedignans (Post 7687789)
Hi there,

It's for June.
You should recieve your new assessment/rate soon telling you how much your going to get for the next year as it starts in July.

Thanks! I had a payment in May for Jan/Feb - then noticed today it didn't include May so am wondering if they will include that one in Junes...!

thedignans Jun 22nd 2009 11:39 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 7687794)
Thanks! I had a payment in May for Jan/Feb - then noticed today it didn't include May so am wondering if they will include that one in Junes...!

Thats strange as when they back dated mine I got it all so I was up to date. maybe a phone call is in order.
Have your Sin Number handy, there usually really helpful.

AmyDavid Jun 22nd 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by thedignans (Post 7687834)
Thats strange as when they back dated mine I got it all so I was up to date. maybe a phone call is in order.
Have your Sin Number handy, there usually really helpful.

Yeah I think I will.

Thanks

Nicola N-A Jun 22nd 2009 3:25 pm

Universal Child Tax Benefit is $100 per child up to the age of 6. So I would imagine that the 'new assessment/rate' you refer to is for the Child Benefit (the income based one)!

AmyDavid Jun 22nd 2009 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A (Post 7688383)
Universal Child Tax Benefit is $100 per child up to the age of 6. So I would imagine that the 'new assessment/rate' you refer to is for the Child Benefit (the income based one)!

All this is SO confusing lol. Apparantly you have to wait 30 days from the date you are eligble and THEN you get the payment - which explains why I don't get anything for May....am still waiting for the Child Benefit payments to be sorted...they take so LONG sorting out my nil return! I had (daftly) assumed that as it was a nil return it wouldn't take a mo to sort it out!

Nicola N-A Jun 22nd 2009 6:07 pm

know exactly how you feel - I've got the universal sorted, but still waiting for the child benefit. Apparently CRA can't work out that are are 2 forms if you submit 2 years worth of NIL tax returns in the same envelope. Apparently they should be submitted seperately! End result - 'still in process'. ;) Hey ho - at least when it finally get sorted out, it'll be an even nicer cheque :eek:

AmyDavid Jun 22nd 2009 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A (Post 7688727)
know exactly how you feel - I've got the universal sorted, but still waiting for the child benefit. Apparently CRA can't work out that are are 2 forms if you submit 2 years worth of NIL tax returns in the same envelope. Apparently they should be submitted seperately! End result - 'still in process'. ;) Hey ho - at least when it finally get sorted out, it'll be an even nicer cheque :eek:

LOL I did the same thing - two returns in one envelope and this also confused them..how do we process two returns at once...! They also realised part way through that they were supposed to send the 2007 one to the International Tax Office - which also held things up. Am being told 4 weeks today...I don't hold my breath!