Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unexpected Expenses... probably a daft question but am going to ask it anyway...

Unexpected Expenses... probably a daft question but am going to ask it anyway...

Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unexpected Expenses... probably a daft question but am going to ask it anyway...

Originally Posted by iaink
Vets here will fleece you given the opportunity is my impression. Some are OK, sadly the reasonable one near us retired.
We're very lucky with our local vet - recently we had him treat our dwarf hamster who hurt her leg on her wheel and when asked how much it came to, he responded with "how can I charge you for looking at something that size??"

He's in an extremely rural practice and I think seeing something other than a cow, horse, cat or dog was a real novelty for him
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unexpected Expenses... probably a daft question but am going to ask it anyway...

Vet prices are hugely variable in Vancouver. A quote for $400 near downtown and $100 for the same thing slightly further out in the boonies.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:19 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
...or is there anything that is ridiculously more expensive than it's British counterpart?
2nd hand cars and cheese.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:01 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone

Is there any expense in Canada that you wouldn't even think about until you got there? I am talking serious expenses here.

We are doing like for like comparisons (hence my questions on medical expenses and schooling yesterday) but I just wondered if there is anything we are not thinking of.

Obviously I am not talking about the difference in the cost of food etc - that's minimal and I know there is no Council Tax out there....

But is there the equivalent of Stamp Duty on buying a house? This is the kind of expense I am talking about....

Is there anything screamingly obvious that would potentially bite you on the bum that a British person might not even think about/know about until they were resident in Canada?? or is there anything that is ridiculously more expensive than it's British counterpart?

Cheers!

xx
Depends where you are buying the house, I've had to pay:

Land transfer tax in Ontario (~1% 0f the purchase price).
The wonderfully named "Welcome Tax" in Montreal (also ~1% of purchase price).
But nothing in Saskatoon.

You might want to set aside a substantial wedge for car insurance if you're Ontario bound.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone

Is there any expense in Canada that you wouldn't even think about until you got there? I am talking serious expenses here.

We are doing like for like comparisons (hence my questions on medical expenses and schooling yesterday) but I just wondered if there is anything we are not thinking of.

Obviously I am not talking about the difference in the cost of food etc - that's minimal and I know there is no Council Tax out there....

But is there the equivalent of Stamp Duty on buying a house? This is the kind of expense I am talking about....

Is there anything screamingly obvious that would potentially bite you on the bum that a British person might not even think about/know about until they were resident in Canada?? or is there anything that is ridiculously more expensive than it's British counterpart?

Cheers!

xx

Cheese
Car insurance (Ontario) - see my other thread on tips to lower this though (do a search)
HST in Ontario and other provinces
Medical costs if you don't have a Medical plan with an employer
House prices in districts with excellent public schools, and be prepared for bidding wars on properties here - always going for a lot over asking.
Bank charges with the wrong bank
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Hey everyone

Cheers!

xx
Yes it's very much more expensive than Britain, unless you're incredibly lucky. It seems you not only pay for things that are free in Britain, but the cost is often 10x or more. Of course you don't always have the exact same name for things so rumours spread that certain costs don't exist in Canada. The reality is yes they do, but under a different name.

One issue with things that are expensive in Canada compared with UK, is that they always relate directly to your welfare. So for example, you're ill and the "free" medical service which is not actually free, doesn't cover much. So you have to pay for a private consultant. Then you get a prescription and you pay through the snout for it. My daughter, for example, had to get a small tube of something or other which, with private medical insurance discount, was $200!!!!!!

What you'll find is that you cannot really account for these costs, because they are so much higher, plus they are also completely unpredictable. You'll find yourself taking chances with your health and wellbeing, and that of your family because nobody can afford to pay all the costs that they could easily incur if they are unlucky.

In other words, while the overall balance for an average person or family may be near to equality, the risks of being fleeced alive by the costs with an alternative of compromising on your wellbeing, are way way higher in Canada than Britain.

Things that are much higher in cost in Canada:
- Car insurance
- Medical care
- Dental care
- Any other service to do with wellbeing (e.g. optician checkups $100+)
- Starting and operating a business
- Costs associated with using a realtor (estate agent)
- Eating out
- Flights
- Hotels
- TV services
- Mobile phones / mobile internet services (e.g. blackberry, iPhone)
- Banking
- Items for families with young children
- Owning and operating a car (excluding gas)
- Alcohol
- Landline Telephone
- Clothing
- Being born and dying
- Any kind of liability insurance
- Vet fees
- Legal fees
- Winning the lottery (taxed after win, but I'll make an exception to feeling cheated if I ever win)

Items much cheaper in Canada
- Electronic and certain appliances
- Extended warranties on the above (which you'll need as no consumer protection at all in Canada, and stores only warranty one month instead of a year in general)
- Public transit
- Inner city parking (but gap closing significantly)
- Fuel (offset significantly by huge costs of running a vehicle and generally further distances)
- Natural gas and electricity
- Accounting fees (but nearly everyone in Canada has to have one, unlike Britain)
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:11 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Yes it's very much more expensive than Britain, unless you're incredibly lucky. It seems you not only pay for things that are free in Britain, but the cost is often 10x or more. Of course you don't always have the exact same name for things so rumours spread that certain costs don't exist in Canada. The reality is yes they do, but under a different name.

One issue with things that are expensive in Canada compared with UK, is that they always relate directly to your welfare. So for example, you're ill and the "free" medical service which is not actually free, doesn't cover much. So you have to pay for a private consultant. Then you get a prescription and you pay through the snout for it. My daughter, for example, had to get a small tube of something or other which, with private medical insurance discount, was $200!!!!!!

What you'll find is that you cannot really account for these costs, because they are so much higher, plus they are also completely unpredictable. You'll find yourself taking chances with your health and wellbeing, and that of your family because nobody can afford to pay all the costs that they could easily incur if they are unlucky.

In other words, while the overall balance for an average person or family may be near to equality, the risks of being fleeced alive by the costs with an alternative of compromising on your wellbeing, are way way higher in Canada than Britain.

- Car insurance
- Medical care
- Dental care
- Eating out
- Flights
- Hotels
- TV services
- Banking
- Alcohol
- Landline Telephone
- Clothing
- Being born and dying
- Vet fees
- Legal fees
- Winning the lottery (taxed after win, but I'll make an exception to feeling cheated if I ever win)

- Extended warranties on the above (which you'll need as no consumer protection at all in Canada, and stores only warranty one month instead of a year in general)
- Public transit
- Fuel (offset significantly by huge costs of running a vehicle and generally further distances)
- Accounting fees (but nearly everyone in Canada has to have one, unlike Britain)
Can't say I agree with your statements on the medical aspects. We've not had anything like that and both my husband and I have had operations...

2nd hand cars are expensive compared to UK prices.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:36 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic

- Car insurance
- Medical care
- Dental care
- Eating out
- Flights
- Hotels
- TV services
- Banking
- Alcohol
- Landline Telephone
- Clothing
- Being born and dying
- Vet fees
- Legal fees

- Public transit
Think you missed Cheese off the list
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:43 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

True beleiver in insurance, my 6yo lab got a lump and it cost over two grand to fix. Now it will be an excluded condition, could be pricey but we love him so we will have to save up just incase he gets another.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

OakvilleSarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my, no council tax, I wish.

My property tax is $4,500, same thing different name.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Can't say I agree with your statements on the medical aspects. We've not had anything like that and both my husband and I have had operations...

2nd hand cars are expensive compared to UK prices.
NO tax on lottery winning either AFAIK. I dont personally know anyone in Canada that uses an accountant for their personal taxes if just an employee, the cheap software does all the basics for $10 if you dont trust yourself with a calculator.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:43 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Dental and orthodontic work. Eldest child had braces: $5500.00. Eldest child having pins to re-align jaw:
$835.00. Youngest child needs spacer thing to widen upper jaw: $900.00. None of it covered!

Medical prescriptions. Forget free prescriptions for under 16 years. Forget free contraceptive pill. Forget $5.00 (probably more now) prescriptions!

This just makes my blood boil and is enough to make me want to return. Sick of paying out money when not even sure all the work needs doing. I'm sure some dentists just make it up so they can get your insurance money!

Rant over!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

OakvilleSarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Dental and orthodontic work. Eldest child had braces: $5500.00. Eldest child having pins to re-align jaw:
$835.00. Youngest child needs spacer thing to widen upper jaw: $900.00. None of it covered!

Medical prescriptions. Forget free prescriptions for under 16 years. Forget free contraceptive pill. Forget $5.00 (probably more now) prescriptions!

This just makes my blood boil and is enough to make me want to return. Sick of paying out money when not even sure all the work needs doing. I'm sure some dentists just make it up so they can get your insurance money!

Rant over!
I always say that about our dentist, his eyes light up when he sees our family. Things we take for granted in the UK, free dental and prescriptions for kids and pregnant women, ect......you don't realise how good we had it it until it's gone.

Oh, and I love how my hydro bill has just been split into two, I seem to be paying more now for the same service from two different companies.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

There are thousands of other dentists to choose from, and you can always get a second opinion...

I dont think anyone ever died from crooked teeth, but I could be wrong.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:12 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
There are thousands of other dentists to choose from, and you can always get a second opinion...

I dont think anyone ever died from crooked teeth, but I could be wrong.
You could well be!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.