Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Unemployment benefit

Unemployment benefit

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Suznz is on a distinguished road
Default Unemployment benefit

My Canadian husband has been made redundant from his employment right at the time we were about to send forms off.

We are in NZ & have noticed no social assistance allowed to qualify to sponsor a spouse.

Does this mean he can not receive unemployment benefit even for short term until he receives another job? If so we will have to live off savings...which could be for quite some time the way the job market is.

We have a redundancy benefit here also to help those made redundant, but I guess the same applies to that?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:40 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment benefit

Basically one has to earn unemployment payments in Canada. A deduction is made from income each pay period and one has to have made so many payments before being eligible. There is no Government funded redundancy payments.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:06 am
Just Joined

What I'm wondering is, does the social assistance apply to any country the sponsor lives in or is it just those residing in Canada & doing the in Canada application? We both live in NZ.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:00 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It was my impression that it applied strictly to Social Assistance; that being a means tested payment suggestive of not having other resources.

One could have plenty of other resources and still get other benefits, payment of which may not depend on other income.

So I'd say it would not disqualify him from sponsoring you.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Whoopi83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The sponsor cannot be claiming social assistance in Canada; employment insurance does not mean social assistance.

In addition, if you are both outside Canada and applying outland then it is largely irrelevant because he will be expected to quit his job to reside in Canada with you if you are given PR. .

However, because the sponsor must provide proof of intention to resettle with the PR applicant, the assumption (albeit it may be wrong) is that the sponsor should show that he/she can support the PR applicant (i.e. legal obligation for 3 years) once they are in Canada.

Someone more knowledgeable may well give better advice. All I can say is that we moved with no jobs (but were lucky to live with the Canadian's parents) and bugger all in the bank - less than $10k, yet we got jobs (no matter how mundane for now) and life is peachy... in a funny little place called Coquitlam.

Last edited by Whoopi83; Feb 2nd 2010 at 10:53 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies.

I have written to CIC Australia to see what they class as social assistance but what you say Whoopi makes some sense.

We would be living with my son in Langley until we found our own accommodation.

Coquitlam is an area we have looked at !!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Have just received email from CIC Australia:

Canadian citizens living overseas and sponsoring their spouses/partners or dependent children DO NOT need to prove Canadian or foreign income. No Canada Revenue Agency printouts are required from the sponsor if they are in this situation.

So this is good news