Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Undecided and confused :S

Undecided and confused :S

Old Sep 9th 2015, 2:03 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Undecided and confused :S

Originally Posted by bats
Ah, I should have been clearer, by south I meant down here, which is probably more south east from you and not really commuting to Toronto though some people do make that journey. Poor demented creatures.

They're always looking for medics round here and there are a couple of places to study nursing
Old Sep 9th 2015, 3:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Cons

Firearms too prevalent
Gangs
Pot

Schools – dull, unimaginative and low academic expectations
Autumn, winter and spring weather
Unfriendly, dull and surprisingly arrogant people
Rubbish TV

Cost of everything expect sushi and petrol
Terrible Indian food, in fact pretty rubbish restaurants in general
Dirty supermarkets
Alcohol laws
Rubbish sports
Shopping on the internet
Right...'cause you'd never find any of that in the UK now would you?
Old Sep 9th 2015, 7:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Or in any other western country, come to that!
Old Sep 9th 2015, 9:30 am
Just Joined

nadkels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bubble90
Yes we are 26 our son is one.

The Canadian visas are confusing me a bit. They seem a lot more straightforward than the Australian ones? I have looked into so many visa options for Australia that now looking at the Canadian ones I am either reading up the wrong stuff or Australian visas are alot more complicated ...

It seems a lot of people move to Canada on a temporary visa before applying for PR? Or am I reading the wrong things? Where as when I was looking at Australian ones it seemed if you were to go on a temporary visa there is a very slim chance you would actually get PR..

Yes you can get a temporary visa and then apply for a PR visa, and with all the right documents and identification it'll take a few weeks to be accepted. (I too am looking into moving to Canada from the UK)

Here is more info for you Application for Permanent Residence: Temporary Resident Permit Holder
Old Sep 9th 2015, 10:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nadkels
Yes you can get a temporary visa and then apply for a PR visa, and with all the right documents and identification it'll take a few weeks to be accepted. (I too am looking into moving to Canada from the UK)

Here is more info for you Application for Permanent Residence: Temporary Resident Permit Holder
Do you mean a Temporary Work Permit? Very few on the forum would be eligible for TRP's, which is what you've linked to. It's not that simple I'm afraid! If it was, every person in the world would be doing it instead of going through all the other much more complex visa routes.

Here's the info on TRP's, you'll note that only specific circumstances qualify for them, they're basically for people that would normally use another visa (i.e a Temporary Work Permit or study permit) but who are inadmissible to Canada for some reason, or people that aren't eligible under the IRPA. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...mits/index.asp

So you would still need to qualify for the original visa (i.e. a TWP or study permit), but then need the TRP in addition to that so that you can be admitted in to Canada. You also need pretty compelling reasons why you'd need to be in Canada, often it'll be something like somebody with a spouse that's been transferred for work, and they can't be apart etc.

So if you're a 'normal' UK applicant, this wouldn't be relevant to you. The normal temporary route that the OP is referring to (and that most on the forum have used) is a Temporary Work Permit.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 9th 2015 at 10:31 am.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 12:07 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Do you mean a Temporary Work Permit? Very few on the forum would be eligible for TRP's, which is what you've linked to. .
1st you need to have a 'good' job lined up

Then to get a TWP your employer need to prove that he can't get a Canadian to do the Job..

the job needs to be advertised in Canada for a period of time, and he needs to show that the job is specialized and that he has been unable to find a suitable Canadian applicant, only then can he apply to get a TWP to employee a non Canadian
Old Sep 9th 2015, 12:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
1st you need to have a 'good' job lined up

Then to get a TWP your employer need to prove that he can't get a Canadian to do the Job..

the job needs to be advertised in Canada for a period of time, and he needs to show that the job is specialized and that he has been unable to find a suitable Canadian applicant, only then can he apply to get a TWP to employee a non Canadian
Yep. But Nadkels linked to a TRP page on the CIC website, which they and the OP won't qualify for (I assume, unless they do happen to have a serious criminal record and are needing to go to Canada for a vital reason when they're inadmissible under the IRPA).

I think a TWP was what was meant though, but as you say a LMIA would then be needed first. But the OP qualifies for IEC from what they've said, so at least they have a relatively easy route over and won't need a LMIA/TWP.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 9th 2015 at 12:35 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure you would find those anywhere else, just other countries offer more pro's where Canada lacks the pro's and has limited opportunities.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 10:10 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Oyama Sausage Co
That almost makes up for the rest. Every time I go there I'm at least $50 poorer.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 10:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am sure you would find those anywhere else, just other countries offer more pro's where Canada lacks the pro's and has limited opportunities.
Seriously? What western country offers "more pros" or has less limited opportunities? And opportunities for what exactly?
Old Sep 9th 2015, 11:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? What western country offers "more pros" or has less limited opportunities? And opportunities for what exactly?
The US. It has less Australians.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

US for one. I can't compare others as I have not lived in other countries besides the 2 I can compare.

California most specifically.

More educational opportunities with affordable tuition. BC and from what I can tell Canada does not have anywhere with affordable tuition.

I can take a full-time course load in California for what 1 or 2 classes cost in BC.

More government educational grant money and less need for loans.

More offering's of just about everything, education, jobs, leisure activities etc.

I can't go to school in BC for example because tuition is too high, so education is out, there are nowhere near the same opportunities job wise because of all the stupid high educational requirements leaving really just menial low paid crappy jobs.

In California, there are more opportunities for me at my current educational level.

There is more to do in California, where in BC unless you like the outdoors, not much else to do.

No theme parks, no quality zoo's, expensive to get around making travel prohibitive, the cost of just about every activity is too much to afford, where in California there is a plethora of things to do that are affordable.

Canada is not a good place to be low income, the US is a better place to be.

In Canada low income and can't afford food, you go hungry, the food banks cannot provide people with the amount of food needed to keep someone fed and some places only open 1 or 2 times per month.

In the US and again more specific to California, there is food assistance program where people can go to a grocery store and buy food.

I had a life and ability to enjoy life in the US, where in Canada every cent goes to surviving and not being able to do anything because everything costs so much.

Only reason I am here is because we can't financially afford immigration to the US so she can live there, if we could we would be there, and likely far better off financially and enjoy life more.

5,000-7,000 for a 6 month course in BC, same course in California to do the same job, 1,250.

One place gives everyone access to education, and one place doesn't. Canada is piss poor at making higher education available to all and price people out with sky high tuition.

I can travel around the US and do what I enjoy as airfare is affordable, and gas is affordable.

In Canada, neither gas nor airfare is affordable so we can't travel.

In San Diego, I can pay 90/yr and enjoy a world class zoo and botanical garden for 12 months.

BC has no quality zoo, it has a poor quality place they call a zoo, that is overpriced, low quality, and should be shut down.

San Diego has free admission every week to a museum for local residents.

BC has museums that are more concerned about big admission prices then having local residents having access.

Considering wages are on par in California, but general cost of living lower, well it's also easier to actually provide your basic needs.

Now with Obama care in place, medical is affordable in California, so Canada has lost the biggest benefit that existed.

But with marriage there is compromise, so I stay, can't always live where you wan't but doesn't mean it's a place that offers you opportunity or enjoyment.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 10th 2015 at 12:59 am.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:16 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

US for one. I can't compare others as I have not lived in other countries besides the 2 I can compare.

California most specifically.

More educational opportunities with affordable tuition. BC and from what I can tell Canada does not have anywhere with affordable tuition.

I can take a full-time course load in California for what 1 or 2 classes cost in BC.

More government educational grant money and less need for loans.

More offering's of just about everything, education, jobs, leisure activities etc.

I can't go to school in BC for example because tuition is too high, so education is out, there are nowhere near the same opportunities job wise because of all the stupid high educational requirements leaving really just menial low paid crappy jobs.

In California, there are more opportunities for me at my current educational level.

There is more to do in California, where in BC unless you like the outdoors, not much else to do.

No theme parks, no quality zoo's, expensive to get around making travel prohibitive, the cost of just about every activity is too much to afford, where in California there is a plethora of things to do that are affordable.

Canada is not a good place to be low income, the US is a better place to be.

In Canada low income and can't afford food, you go hungry, the food banks cannot provide people with the amount of food needed to keep someone fed and some places only open 1 or 2 times per month.

In the US and again more specific to California, there is food assistance program where people can go to a grocery store and buy food.

I had a life and ability to enjoy life in the US, where in Canada every cent goes to surviving and not being able to do anything because everything costs so much.

Only reason I am here is because we can't financially afford immigration to the US so she can live there, if we could we would be there, and likely far better off financially and enjoy life more.

5,000-7,000 for a 6 month course in BC, same course in California to do the same job, 1,250.

One place gives everyone access to education, and one place doesn't. Canada is piss poor at making higher education available to all and price people out with sky high tuition.

I can travel around the US and do what I enjoy as airfare is affordable, and gas is affordable.

In Canada, neither gas nor airfare is affordable so we can't travel.

In San Diego, I can pay 90/yr and enjoy a world class zoo and botanical garden for 12 months.

BC has no quality zoo, it has a poor quality place they call a zoo, that is overpriced, low quality, and should be shut down.

San Diego has free admission every week to a museum for local residents.

BC has museums that are more concerned about big admission prices then having local residents having access.

Considering wages are on par in California, but general cost of living lower, well it's also easier to actually provide your basic needs.

Now with Obama care in place, medical is affordable in California, so Canada has lost the biggest benefit that existed.

But with marriage there is compromise, so I stay, can't always live where you wan't but doesn't mean it's a place that offers you opportunity or enjoyment.
I know it can be hard sometimes JS but try having a go at looking at the glass as if it is half full, I'm sure that it would help your frame of mind.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:50 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

That is interesting as colleagues I have spoken to who have been to uni is BC have said that a lot of American come to Canada as tuition fees are much cheaper.

When I informed them that a 3year undergrad programme in a UK university will cost around $18,000 just in fees, their mouths fell wide open.

I an have no idea how that compares to the USA though
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

So why not get a second job and save up and move to the US? Is spousal sponsorship really that expensive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.