Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Un-happy in Canada!

Un-happy in Canada!

Old Feb 16th 2015, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Un-happy in Canada!

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Been here 10 years or 11 or whatever it's been now, anyhow airmiles has always been one of those things I haven't fully figured out since nobody seem's to really accept them anymore where one would go on a regular basis, I know an auto body shop in town participates but hardly going to use that sort of service enough to actually get much.

Maybe its more popular in other regions?

I collect Save On points for free groceries, you can also get other stuff like skiing but you need like thousands upon thousands of points to get those trips, 1 point for each dollar spent, sometimes bonus points as well.

I'd actually try skiing, but I think after lessons, day pass, ski and equipment rental, assume need snow clothes too, probably looking at 300 minimum for a day.
It's not as expensive as you might think. Especially night skiing, for example all equipment & rentals plus the lift pass for a Friday night is $15 all in. We have some spare mens skis + bindings. If you manage to plan a ski trip I would be happy to ship them to you for free. Not the whole package but it would be a start.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 11:17 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing $15 ain't Whistler...
Old Feb 17th 2015, 12:11 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Delboy07
Hi folks, I am a newby to the Expat Forum, I hope I am posting in the right place.

Any how I am in need of a shoulder rub or a kick up the arse!

Not sure where to begin here, but here is the jist of things.

I have been in Canada actually Vernon BC for 12 years, absolutely beautiful and I have had 4 kids since being here technically all is good, I have PR and qualify for Citizenship but I have got to the point where I have decided I hate it here and want to go back home but my wife is Canadian and of course does not want to live in the UK.

I miss everything and have got to the point where everything Canadian is sickening me! I am so claustrophobic; I look out my window on an evening down the Valley and over the town and literally feel dizzy when I think there is nothing past it other than miles and miles of trees!

I miss everything from home and am having nightmares/dreams of staying in Canada

Logistically I cannot go home and realistically know it is not really the right answer, I guess I am writing in a hope some people may set me straight, might cheer me up a bit, may be there are others feel the same way and found a way to deal with it.

If I could ping pong I would but after keeping the bread and butter on the table the cost of travel is just a long dream

I guess there are other factors involved

• I have attention deficit disorder or as I call it grass is greener syndrome
  • Father in UK passed away last year
  • My kids have never seen there English family (except nan)
  • I have found it very difficult to make friends in the Okanagan, real friends that is, not really yet found a Canadian who gets our humour or camaraderie
  • The labour market in the Okanagan is tough and work has been very hard to keep

So that is it in a nutshell

Thanks guys
I think you can get a very real sense of claustrophobia without being in a confined space physically. We decided against settling in the Okanagan for that very reason. It was that notion of it being such a long way to anywhere or anything else. Undeniably a beautiful region, but just not for us.

I hope you can find a happy solution.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 12:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
Number 2, it is awesome that you would choose Seattle over the Okanagan as Seattle is very similar to where you live.
Er no. Seattle's quite a lot like Toronto but neither are like a snow covered field in the back of beyond.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi not2old, We are also from a council estate (in the pit villages of the North East of England.) We put ourselves through college and university over an eight year period and during this time our 2 oldest children were toddlers. We lived well below the bread line and struggled for many years while doing this. Before anyone says it no we didn't live in a shoebox in the middle of the road but you get my drift. Funnily enough we still loved life and were happy. You are correct - it is excitement at living the immigrant dream - nothing more although I know how the British take this. When I see postings on here and someone was out on their boat and caught a salmon or whatever I think cool, good for them, I would love to try that. I don't think wow that guy is boasting. That's just the British mentality and some people can change that mentality and others just can't. I haven't ever thought about or wanted to go back to where I came from. The lifestyle here is so vastly different for us than it was in the UK. I only miss family & friends but we have been lucky in that regard as most family & friends have vacationed here to see us. Our youngest was 2 when we moved out and is now 10 and is becoming curious about where we came from so we may plan a trip back next year.
I think it's great if people enjoy Canada, but I wouldn't say that British people think someone is boasting, because he/she is showing a salmon. Maybe people in the area you come from, but not somewhere in Scotland, so to be fair, people should stop talking about the whole of the UK when they really only mean one small area.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I think it's great if people enjoy Canada, but I wouldn't say that British people think someone is boasting, because he/she is showing a salmon. Maybe people in the area you come from, but not somewhere in Scotland, so to be fair, people should stop talking about the whole of the UK when they really only mean one small area.
Fair point, I should have said England. Shall I take it you voted for independence then?
Old Feb 17th 2015, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point, I should have said England. Shall I take it you voted for independence then?
Not Scottish and no offence. We sometimes just forget that the UK isn't that small
Old Feb 18th 2015, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst not agreeing with some of Jossie's chosen activities ( I prefer shooting photos of wildlife) it would appear that she/he are being picked on by the "usual" crowd.
Whilst it's commendable the certain people wish to protect the feelings of the OP, unless they wish to dig deep and help out financially, this thread is maybe useful for those searching for advice about the Okanagan in the future.
There are several people who are insulting/rude of an area they know nothing about, it is right that those comments are counterbalanced by someone who actually lives here.
My knowledge of Toronto is limited to the airport and the internet, would I comment on living in it- no, it's not my place!
Equally I have lived in London and despised every minute, but I recognize millions love it.

The Okanagan is not for everyone, but it's an incredibly beautiful place with a lot to offer. Plenty of "normal' people live here. People on low incomes, disability, unemployed and yes, people with good jobs, retirees from elsewhere. Jobs are difficult for locals and even tighter for incomers.Connections help.
I know very few hunters- no friends just acquaintances . Most people I know are armed only with cameras.
Yes you can ski/golf etc but as Jossie says hiking, swimming in lakes, bird watching, lazing on beaches etc, etc are all free.
Kelowna airport is the nicest airport I've been to- it's 30mins drive away, I park yards from check in, it has tiny queues for security and the CBSA officers are unfailingly pleasant. Flights are rarely cancelled. It is NOT out in the sticks at all, I would think that many BE posters live in far more rural areas. Vancouver can be reached in 4-5 hours on a good day ( I admit longer in winter), a short drive to most Canadians. I live a very civilized life in a "normal" house on a "normal" road as do most people here! I even have mains water, electricity and actual sewers that don't need to call a man to drain- unlike my last few houses in the UK!!! I could have cable TV, but chose not to, but to cater for our internet needs have an internet speed of around 100Mbps on a good day.
We are surrounded by beautiful wildlife which is alive and well- I just have to steer my old nag and cart around them on our mud roads
Housing is cheaper than Toronto/Vancouver so why the unpleasant comments about wealth here from those living in more prosperous places. I'll have to assume a certain amount of hidden jealousy !!
From my knowledge of Canada gleaned whilst living here, the only place in Canada I would move to outside of the Okanagan at the present time is Victoria and surrounding area.
For anyone thinking about living in the Okanagan, they should come and visit and talk to the people that live here.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Some useful links for people that haven't heard of or been to the Okanagan: Kelowna: 'The Next Big Thing' - Kelowna News - Castanet.net

Penticton, B.C. named top 10 world travel destination in Facebook survey

Thompson Okanagan | Destination BC - Official Site
Old Feb 18th 2015, 6:15 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Useful links for those interested in moving from elsewhere in Canada or emigrating from the UK but as for the self professed experts clearly exhibiting their ignorance of the area, they will stick their fingers in their ears shouting la-la-la, I'm not listening-
Old Feb 18th 2015, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Useful links for those interested in moving from elsewhere in Canada or emigrating from the UK but as for the self professed experts clearly exhibiting their ignorance of the area, they will stick their fingers in their ears shouting la-la-la, I'm not listening-
That's ok with me. It's good to help the genuine ones that are interested in living in an awesome place. We don't want the self professed ones to come here and spoil the fun anyway.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 1:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Whilst not agreeing with some of Jossie's chosen activities ( I prefer shooting photos of wildlife) it would appear that she/he are being picked on by the "usual" crowd.
Yes. The jossies depict the Okanagan as a place where legions of Hyancinth Buckets live in the manner of the Beverley Hillbillies. As they're murderous barbarians one would think they'd be aware that that's making an easy target.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes. The jossies depict the Okanagan as a place where legions of Hyancinth Buckets live in the manner of the Beverley Hillbillies. As they're murderous barbarians one would think they'd be aware that that's making an easy target.
So in another infantile attempt at cleverness/humour , you admit that you are "targeting"/picking on Jossie. I hope the mods are reading!

Your posts add nothing to the debate as to whether the Okanagan is a place where immigrants can happily live and helps the OP and future immigrants far less than Jossie. I find it odd that expats express their unhappiness with towns/cities all over Canada and often return to the UK, with little criticism of their chosen area. But mention the Okanagan, and there are several pages of posts from people 1000's of miles away who seem to have an opinion on living here! Truthfully, on a beautiful Okanagan day, everyone I meet may mention how lucky they feel to be living here- that includes those on minimum wage, disabled, unemployed! Sorry! I know because I live here and through my job, I get to know people's social situation intimately.

Everything Jossie says is truthful, I may not agree or join in, but all activities are indeed available and most people will do one or more depending on their abilities/bank balance.
I see nothing to suggest a "Beverly Hillbilly" lifestyle. Wine tours, skiing, golf, boating, hiking, swimming, beaches, birding,photography sound extremely civilized to me. Hunting/fishing are an activities which Canadians from all over Canada seem to "enjoy", not unique to here!!
Equally I see nothing in her posts that suggest that "Hyacinth Bucket" lives here. IF you lived here, you would know that the most Canadians who live in the Okanagan along with the overwhelming majority of immigrants are hard working, pretty modest people who just make the most of their surroundings. Flash houses, cars, boats seen here tend to be owned by Canadians from outside this area.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 3:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
But mention the Okanagan, and there are several pages of posts from people 1000's of miles away who seem to have an opinion on living here! Truthfully, on a beautiful Okanagan day, everyone I meet may mention how lucky they feel to be living here- that includes those on minimum wage, disabled, unemployed! Sorry! I know because I live here and through my job, I get to know people's social situation intimately.
Now the Okanagan sounds like Nova Scotia. I'm glad you're all so blissfully happy all of the time.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Did you see Top Gear the other week in Australia at a 3,000,000 acre farm!!!
Yep 3 million I think it was described as about the same size as the whole of the South East of England and a 2 hour drive just to get to the house from the road.
Now thats what i call rural.
hehe reminds me of a Ross noble concert - he was talking about riding his motorbike round Australia and in WA he was looking at the SatNav for directions.
He reckoned it was a pretty boring trip when the directions were drive for 2 days then turn left...(and then missed the turn cos he was in a zombie state by that time)

Last edited by AlliF; Feb 18th 2015 at 5:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.