Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK v Canada/Head v Heart..Decision made

UK v Canada/Head v Heart..Decision made

Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice
Default UK v Canada/Head v Heart..Decision made

Ok,

So following on from my previous thread 'having doubts' my wife and I have came to a decision.

UK wins

The decision to stay here for the moment is down to listening to our heads, and not our hearts...

At the moment, we have a gorgeous little 18month old girl, but man is she hard work!
We have another baby due in 3 weeks ish. So a tiring, hard few years are ahead of us.

We just feel (after 4/5 years) of a rollercoster of uncertainty like "when will we get to Canada", "where will we be next year" etc,
We just cant be bothered with the extra stress of immigration at this moment in time...

We have wasted alot of time, money and stress with this whole immigration thing and its left a bit of a bad taste..

We are also a little fed up with putting things off, and not being able to plan things. (due to the mentality "well we are going to Canada"..)

Our reasons to emigrate were / are for a "better standard of life",
Well when we look at our current situation we arent doing too bad.
-Secure jobs (well in this day and age who really knows )
-Good work/ life balance which gives us the time needed for the kids
-Live in an ok area, easy access to city and stunning scenery (25mins from loch lomond etc)
-And all importantly, family support with kids!

We feel Canada is just to uncertain.
-The outcome of a successfull visa application is not guaranteed
-The ways on my wife (or I) gaining employment is too uncertain (Too many hoops to jump through )

And we just cant see why we should risk our childrens present stability, to chase a dream that has no clear path

Although it will be hard to let go of the desire to go to Canada, we have to listen to our heads....

So we will raise our kids up through the early / hard days, and look at immigration when things are bit more settled.

In the mean time.... Canada, its your loss!

Last edited by alcat2010; Mar 17th 2012 at 10:30 am.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:03 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK v Canada/Head v Heart..Decision made

Good luck to you all. fletch
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

You've changed your tune. I had a look back at a couple of your old posts and you said you couldn't wait to get away from "the dump". The two of you though, have great jobs. Getting to the financial and secure level you are at now could take years or maybe not even happen at all. My personal opinion, even though it may not be the correct one, is that you have made the right choice for now.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:21 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not, your non-immigration is no loss to Canada. There are hundreds of thousands lining up to fill the void you haven't created.

Last edited by Auld Yin; Mar 17th 2012 at 1:24 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Auld Yin

Believe it or not, your non-immigration is no loss to Canada. There are hundreds of thousands lining up to fill the void you haven't created.
Eh.... tongue in cheek mate.....
Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alcat2010
Ok,

So following on from my previous thread 'having doubts' my wife and I have came to a decision.

UK wins

The decision to stay here for the moment is down to listening to our heads, and not our hearts...

At the moment, we have a gorgeous little 18month old girl, but man is she hard work!
We have another baby due in 3 weeks ish. So a tiring, hard few years are ahead of us.

We just feel (after 4/5 years) of a rollercoster of uncertainty like "when will we get to Canada", "where will we be next year" etc,
We just cant be bothered with the extra stress of immigration at this moment in time...

We have wasted alot of time, money and stress with this whole immigration thing and its left a bit of a bad taste..

We are also a little fed up with putting things off, and not being able to plan things. (due to the mentality "well we are going to Canada"..)

-Live in an ok area, easy access to city and stunning scenery (25mins from loch lomond etc)

-The ways on my wife (or I) gaining employment is too uncertain (Too many hoops to jump through )

And we just cant see why we should risk our childrens present stability, to chase a dream that has no clear path

Although it will be hard to let go of the desire to go to Canada, we have to listen to our heads....

So we will raise our kids up through the early / hard days, and look at immigration when things are bit more settled.

i would'nt say its Canada's loss it seems it maybe was just a dream .. you need the adventurous spirit.. we are moving this year, we both have great jobs, young family, live in a very nice area... but we are still going.. you can always get another good job if you return... and I sometimes wonder why people have kids if they see family support as a big thing... look after them yourself...
Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:41 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin

Did someone piss on your cornflakes this morning?

Here, have a read of this book, before you end up as that guy in the Old Folks Home that never gets any visitors...

Old Mar 17th 2012, 2:32 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I have to live up to my reputation on here.

Actually I'm a very happy old guy. I've got everything I need, and more. On a wet Saturday morning I'm watching soccer and reading newspapers before I go out to visit my very discerning grandchildren. They think, most correctly, that I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I find it interesting that you refer to that book. You've probably read it yourself and from some of your posts it appears to be having no effect on you, lmao.

You have a great day now, you hear.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Ok,

UK wins

Good luck to you. This can't have been easy, but it all sounds veryconsidered and rational to me. As you say, you can always take a look at it later in life but for now just concentrate on living the good life you've got.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clay
i would'nt say its Canada's loss it seems it maybe was just a dream .. you need the adventurous spirit.. we are moving this year, we both have great jobs, young family, live in a very nice area... but we are still going.. you can always get another good job if you return... and I sometimes wonder why people have kids if they see family support as a big thing... look after them yourself...
Hmm 'adventurous spirit' and moving to Canada don't sit naturally together for me but, hey ho, each to their own.

Regarding family support; my kids are now 10 and 11 and we've never lived near family, I'm not one for regrets but I do think my kids could have benefited from more time with their grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

perkinsgap is an unknown quantity at this point

It's easy to sit in UK talking about about coming to Canada the way I looked at it when we came 7 1/2 years ago with a 3yr old and a 8yr old if we don't do it now we never will. It's not been easy but i would do it all over again tomorrow if I had to. I don't what regrets in my life we are only here once.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 4:11 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you enjoy your holiday

Looking forward to reading your updates in the MBTTUK forum

Originally Posted by perkinsgap
It's easy to sit in UK talking about about coming to Canada the way I looked at it when we came 7 1/2 years ago with a 3yr old and a 8yr old if we don't do it now we never will. It's not been easy but i would do it all over again tomorrow if I had to. I don't what regrets in my life we are only here once.
What if your life would have been much better and more successful had you stayed in the uk? Would you have regretted moving to Canada if it turned out very badly, financially wrecked you, and broke your family?

Terms like "don't want regrets" and "what ifs" are a silly mentality

As for the OP. it's great you made a decision and have been honest with yourself. It's refreshing that you've seen the reality of your life rather than a perception based on a blinkered focus. Enjoy your new life and make the most of the great things you have. Enjoy Canada for vacations
Old Mar 17th 2012, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by el_richo
Hope you enjoy your holiday

Looking forward to reading your updates in the MBTTUK forum

What if your life would have been much better and more successful had you stayed in the uk? Would you have regretted moving to Canada if it turned out very badly, financially wrecked you, and broke your family?

Terms like "don't want regrets" and "what ifs" are a silly mentality

As for the OP. it's great you made a decision and have been honest with yourself. It's refreshing that you've seen the reality of your life rather than a perception based on a blinkered focus. Enjoy your new life and make the most of the great things you have. Enjoy Canada for vacations
MBTTUK forum ? no clues what that is ?? LOL.... been on holiday to Canada a few times, we are actually staying...lol...
Old Mar 17th 2012, 5:34 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

MBTTUK forum ? no clues what that is ?? LOL.... been on holiday to Canada a few times, we are actually staying...lol...
moving back to the Unitedkingdom. take no notice!
Old Mar 17th 2012, 5:39 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Ok,

UK wins

Sounds like a wise choice to me, at least the less riskier option. It's fine when you only have your todd to worry about (as i did) but with kids...whole different playing field when moving away from the stability of all that you know.

Life turns on a dime and is as much about chance...make a decision one way vs another, sometimes it works out, other times it doesn't.

all the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.