Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK to USA now onto Canada - A new chapter begins.

UK to USA now onto Canada - A new chapter begins.

Old Jul 6th 2018, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to USA now onto Canada - A new chapter begins.

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I live in Oakville (in the "boring suburb" part according to Kentonmag, north of the QEW highway, but hey ho) and work on Lakeshore Rd in Port Credit. FWIW my commute is around 15km each way, about a 20-minute drive in rush hour, which is a huge quality-of-life improvement over my previous schlep right across Toronto, so I love it! If I were younger, less fat, and more inclined to that sort of violent physical exercise, it would be quite easily cycleable.

The strip of Lakeshore just east of the Credit River and west of Hurontario is buzzing - plenty of restaurants & bars, some of which are more salubrious than others. Accommodation options vary from the McMansions up the Mississauga Road and into Lorne Park to the west, to some fairly ordinary condo blocks up towards Port Credit station and the foot of Hurontario St, and everything in between. Depending on whereabouts in Mississauga you'll be based for work, it might be very possible to have a walking commute (though less likely if your place of work is in the industrial area off Southdown Road - as you're coming from Montana are you in the oil industry, by any chance?).

Reading between the lines, if you are indeed going to be in the Southdown area, then Clarkson Village would be your next-best bet for a v short commute and a decent place to live. Again, a mix of all sorts of different housing; not quite such a village-y feel as Port Credit but still a thriving community in its own right (and a couple of decent pubs, which is always important...)

Keep us posted as your plans firm up. There may be an excuse to have another try at a west-of-Toronto meetup in one of those pubs...
Thank you - your input and advice is very valuable. Yes I will be working in the Southdown area but not in the oil industry. We have been looking at property in Bronte, Oakville, and Erin mills. We will be visiting for the week soon.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Way to make lemonade out of lemons.

I think this will work out for you.

Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Way to make lemonade out of lemons.

I think this will work out for you.

Good luck.
Not really sure what that means TBH

Old Jul 6th 2018, 2:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teanmontana
Not really sure what that means TBH

The reference is to an American expression "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade". It's part of that self reliance, you can do anything, be positive, hokum they so love.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
The reference is to an American expression "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade". It's part of that self reliance, you can do anything, be positive, hokum they so love.
LOL I like it, and that's what we shall do.

Ta
Old Jul 6th 2018, 2:29 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I lived in what is now the Waterside Inn in Port Credit, in the apartment building opposite the Clarkson GO and up Lorne Park Road by the high school. I hope this scores me very many Kentonmag points. All of those were ok places in a suburban, would go home if I had the airfare, kind of way. I work now with a Russian who has just bought a house after renting in the area for a few years. He advises that 55 Park St. is still the building to avoid and that the one to the west of the Credit river mouth is still nice.
Ah, the "Waterside Inn & Residences." My office is in the building next door to the old CIBC bank on the corner of Lakeshore (recently demolished, the bank branch moved over the road into the shiny new glass thing built around the old post office on the harbour side of Stavebank). Colleagues in from out of town stay at the Waterside overnight, if two of them bunk in and share the cost. The hotel is almost as overpriced as the restaurant on its ground floor.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 2:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Ah, the "Waterside Inn & Residences." My office is in the building next door to the old CIBC bank on the corner of Lakeshore (recently demolished, the bank branch moved over the road into the shiny new glass thing built around the old post office on the harbour side of Stavebank). Colleagues in from out of town stay at the Waterside overnight, if two of them bunk in and share the cost. The hotel is almost as overpriced as the restaurant on its ground floor.
In my day lad, it were a block of flats. We first had a one bedroom furnished on the 8th floor facing Lakeshore and later a similar but unfurnished flat on the 12th facing the lake. My then wife found work waiting tables at the Swiss Marmite restaurant, her being Swiss and all, but fell out with someone called Irma, an owner, and anyway, couldn't carry on due to that pregnancy thing. At this time I was busily getting fired from a job in a technology park a few miles to the west. That was on the ludicrous basis of allegedly having parked on the grass. It were a bumpy start to life in Canada, which involved a 73 Olds 98 Regency Brougham, doubtless the longest car I shall own. Arguably the car was as big as the apartment, an apartment which remained largely unfurnished until we got the heave-ho for breeding and moved to the building by Clarkson GO; nice pool and clubhouse there, shared with the townhouses.

At that time the oil facility at the bottom of highway 10 was still operating, then they tore it down and there were signs warning people not to go on to the premises due to the polluted ground. Now it's covered by houses, presumably filled with two headed children.