Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK university fees question

UK university fees question

Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR - 2years in 5 rule exceptions

there are fees for the phd. The research council that is paying my stipend also pay the fees on my behalf.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 2:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK university fees question

Originally Posted by screene
What happens if you migrate and then dependent children want to study fro a degree in say the US, or even back here in the UK? Are there exemptions if they're in education? I couldn't see anything in the wiki.
No credit in terms of keeping their Canadian PR (unless accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse or parent) or qualifying for Canadian citizenship. If you migrate to Canada, then study in Canada should be the plan.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice

Sounds like you'll be doing some pretty careful financial/time calculations in your house to make that decision! Do also factor in the other side of it i.e. if they study in Canada then they'll make it their home, integrate more, make friends, etc, but if they study in the UK then they may not want to uproot and move to Canada after their degrees.
Most definately. I am really hoping that my daughter will do her degree in Canada because I don't think she will come afterwards otherwise. I am hoping to take her to NS again soon to look at universities, but this emigration business is fraaught with difficulties (there's never an easy time to go is there?) and we want her to make the decision that is ultimately right for her.

Erm, isn't it your thread?
No, I split it from another one, as per my post above

Thank you.

And there was you thinking screene was in the first stages of multiple personality disorder.
We are
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Only that BSc/BA in Canada is 4 years, and 3 years in the UK
Be aware that the NAFTA provisions under which Canadians can work in the US stipulate that workers have a four year degree. In this respect the four year degree is better.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Most definately. I am really hoping that my daughter will do her degree in Canada because I don't think she will come afterwards otherwise. I am hoping to take her to NS again soon to look at universities, but this emigration business is fraaught with difficulties (there's never an easy time to go is there?) and we want her to make the decision that is ultimately right for her.

Thank you.

We are

I really feel for you. Be careful though in thinking that just because she does her degree in Canada she will stay. My OH convinced our 3 to come to NS when he accepted a job here almost 4 years ago now. Our eldest finished her degree and went on to do a masters at Dalhousie. Middle daughter graduates next year. Both are heading back to UK - mainly due to lack of job opportunities here in NS. Eldest starts her phd in UK in October, fees paid for by institution there and no problems with residency.
Even if they live at home, university fees in Nova Scotia are some of the highest in Canada, so it might not be the cheapest option either.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Abster21 is an unknown quantity at this point

how old is your daughter?will she be able to go on ur visa to move to canada?
As i am 21 and worried i'll be too old to go on my parents visa even though i am still living at home etc.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
Be aware that the NAFTA provisions under which Canadians can work in the US stipulate that workers have a four year degree. In this respect the four year degree is better.
That's interesting.

When we visited Dalhousie university last year, we were told that because of differing levels at which students leave schools in Canada and the UK, UK-educated kids can get places in Canadian universities with AS levels. Those who have A2-levels (ie the second year of A Level) can sometimes get credits against the first year of their Canadian university education, in some cases not doing it at all depending on what they've studied. It also describes this on the Wiki here on BE.

From this I infer that the reason a Canadian degree is 4 years is that the first year is spent covering the stuff that British kids do in year 13.

If this is true, then it should be cheaper to do a degree in the UK than in Canada because Y13 is free and they live at home!

Another question - is it more common for Canadians to stay at home and do their degree at a local university than it is in the UK?

Abster21
how old is your daughter?will she be able to go on ur visa to move to canada?
As i am 21 and worried i'll be too old to go on my parents visa even though i am still living at home etc.
My daughter is 18. I believe that the cut-off age for 'dependent children' is 22 and in full-time education.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by val50
I really feel for you. Be careful though in thinking that just because she does her degree in Canada she will stay. My OH convinced our 3 to come to NS when he accepted a job here almost 4 years ago now. Our eldest finished her degree and went on to do a masters at Dalhousie. Middle daughter graduates next year. Both are heading back to UK - mainly due to lack of job opportunities here in NS. Eldest starts her phd in UK in October, fees paid for by institution there and no problems with residency.
Even if they live at home, university fees in Nova Scotia are some of the highest in Canada, so it might not be the cheapest option either.
Thanks for the comments Val. We have accepted that our kids (18, 17 and 14) may well decide ultimately that NS is not where they want to be. We hope it is, but if it isn't, we will accept that.

We also think that even if we were to stay in the UK, there is no reason to assume that our children would do the same; we know plenty of people whose offspring have headed off for Australia and elsewhere, after a better life and affordable housing (even after the house price collapse - it's still very expensive).

We just feel that if we don't make this move now, it will never get any easier.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
PhDs are usually a bit different when it comes to fees - the student is more likely to be paid a stipend, rather than pay fees for the degree.
I did all my degree work, BA o Ph.D. in the US and never paid a penny in tuition fees. There are academic scholarships available for international students. Plus, if you work with a particular professor and do a lot their research for them, they have departmental money to help you waive your tuition fees. Yes, and if you go to graduate school there will be money for a stipend and/or you can get a research grant from various agencies.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
I did all my degree work, BA o Ph.D. in the US and never paid a penny in tuition fees. There are academic scholarships available for international students. Plus, if you work with a particular professor and do a lot their research for them, they have departmental money to help you waive your tuition fees. Yes, and if you go to graduate school there will be money for a stipend and/or you can get a research grant from various agencies.
Thank you for that reminder - I've been impressing upon my 3 kids the need to do well with scholarships in mind, and it's particularly pertinent with A level results out today!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that reminder - I've been impressing upon my 3 kids the need to do well with scholarships in mind, and it's particularly pertinent with A level results out today!
Don't ignore the weird scholarships, contemporaries of my children got money for being good at sailing and swimming. One girl even got a substantial sum from a highly regarded school for being good at ice hockey.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 2:22 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I would post a link to this Undergraduate Fees at Memorial University in St Johns, Newfoundland. Shows you a good breakdown, including international fees too.

My son is heading there in a couple of weeks and it's nearly time for me to cough up (MUN has one of the lowest fees in Atlantic Canada).

http://www.mun.ca/scholarships/home/..._2009-2010.doc