Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK university fees question

UK university fees question

Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice
Default UK university fees question

What happens if you migrate and then dependent children want to study fro a degree in say the US, or even back here in the UK? Are there exemptions if they're in education? I couldn't see anything in the wiki.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR - 2years in 5 rule exceptions

Originally Posted by screene
What happens if you migrate and then dependent children want to study fro a degree in say the US, or even back here in the UK? Are there exemptions if they're in education? I couldn't see anything in the wiki.
Nope, no exemptions for that I'm afraid. Are you aware how much it would cost to do a degree in the US (tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars for international tuition fees alone plus living costs), and the UK though? Bear in mind they will no longer be eligible for subsidised university education in the UK as they won't be resident there any longer - they will have to pay international tuition fees.

Why can't they do it in Canada? Much cheaper!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 18th 2009 at 12:55 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Bear in mind they will no longer be eligible for subsidised university education in the UK as they won't be resident there any longer - they will have to pay international tuition fees.
I'm not sure that's the case - I thought you had to be resident in the UK for the year before you start Uni, which my daughter would be. My son who's a year younger wouldn't be though.

Why can't they do it in Canada? Much cheaper!
Only that BSc/BA in Canada is 4 years, and 3 years in the UK, so I reckon it will be more expensive overall in Canada. Also, despite the need for a student loan in the UK, at least the loan is there for those that want it - it all seems much less clear in Canada.

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread, OP.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that's the case - I thought you had to be resident in the UK for the year before you start Uni, which my daughter would be. My son who's a year younger wouldn't be though.
Oh, I see. I just assumed you were already in Canada and kids were thinking of returning to do degrees!

Definitely cheaper for your son to do it in Canada then as international tuition fees are pretty expensive (although nowhere near as extortionate as in the US). I'd also check whether it really will be cheaper for your daughter to study in the UK - think of the airfares several times a year when she wants to come home for holidays!

But in any event, doing a degree in the UK could be an issue for them keeping up their PR, depending on how often they come home for holidays etc.

Sounds like you'll be doing some pretty careful financial/time calculations in your house to make that decision! Do also factor in the other side of it i.e. if they study in Canada then they'll make it their home, integrate more, make friends, etc, but if they study in the UK then they may not want to uproot and move to Canada after their degrees.

Good luck deciding.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Uk residency requirements for university are not black and white. I was living in canada the year before starting a phd in london, and qualify for funding etc without any problems what so ever.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by chanceUK
Uk residency requirements for university are not black and white. I was living in canada the year before starting a phd in london, and qualify for funding etc without any problems what so ever.
Things changed fairly recently though, it's now pretty black and white unfortunately!

This from the British Council...................http://www.britishcouncil.org/costs_...nnection-2.pdf

Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

"ordinarily resident" is open to interpretation, and there are many cases where people have appealed against apparent ineligibility by saying that they maintained residency by having ties in the UK e.g. bank accounts, relatives etc.

In reality, no one even queried it with me and I was completely honest when filling out the forms. I dont think the institutions look into it unless you bring it to their attention.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

"ordinarily resident" is open to interpretation, and there are many cases where people have appealed against apparent ineligibility by saying that they maintained residency by having ties in the UK e.g. bank accounts, relatives etc.

In reality, no one even queried it with me and I was completely honest when filling out the forms. I dont think the institutions look into it unless you bring it to their attention.
Don't see how they could say they're resident just because of a bank account or relatives! When my husband enrolled for his masters, we had to give proof that he was actually resident here - utility bills, etc.

When did you do your Phd out of interest? As I said, I think it changed fairly recently so it may be that they were more lax when you did yours but have tightened up since then.

Just found this that may be of interest for the OP. http://www.ukcosa.org.uk/student/inf..._ewni.php#box3

And I'm going to split this off as it's now taking the original thread off track, but think it's worth a thread in its own right.

Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don't see how they could say they're resident just because of a bank account or relatives! When my husband enrolled for his masters, we had to give proof that he was actually resident here - utility bills, etc.

When did you do your Phd out of interest? As I said, I think it changed fairly recently so it may be that they were more lax when you did yours but have tightened up since then.

I'm 1 year into my phd, i have 2 years to go. I didnt give any proof of residency
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm 1 year into my phd, i have 2 years to go. I didnt give any proof of residency
Guess it must depend on the institution then, as hubby was asked less than a year ago to prove his residency. Luck of the draw!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread, OP.
Erm, isn't it your thread?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by el_richo
Erm, isn't it your thread?
No, I split it from another one, as per my post above.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:37 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

No, I split it from another one, as per my post above.
Aaaaah i'm easily confused
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by el_richo
Aaaaah i'm easily confused
And there was you thinking screene was in the first stages of multiple personality disorder.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

PhDs are usually a bit different when it comes to fees - the student is more likely to be paid a stipend, rather than pay fees for the degree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.