Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK TV when in Canada

UK TV when in Canada

Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:34 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK TV when in Canada

I watched the full Man-C game this afternoon = no issues
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the Philippines I use FILMON TV FREE LIVE TV MOVIES AND SOCIAL TELEVISION , set up the programs I want to watch, filmon records it, and I download it at my leisure to watch on the TV later. you can also stream TV live. No VPN or DNS change.
That's how my wife gets to watch her beloved emmerdale every day as it's on at 2.00am local time!
They have various footy matches on as well. total of 600 TV channels from around the world, all legal and licenced. OK, there are a couple of channels I like that are not on Filmon but they can be "obtained" easily via other means!

you get 10 hours of free recording in standard definition but if you pay for HD then you can get loads more recording time.
It works the same as we used to set our Tivo box back in UK.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the replies.
Sounds like there are a couple of options.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 3:55 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

bump...

Anyone bought a WD TV Live Streaming Media Player box? Just wondering how good they are. Can't keep renegotiating with Shaw every 6 months.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 4:12 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

We use uno telly and it works great including sky go
Old Oct 5th 2014, 4:15 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Londonuck
bump...

Anyone bought a WD TV Live Streaming Media Player box? Just wondering how good they are. Can't keep renegotiating with Shaw every 6 months.
I do like my one but it feels a bit dated now.

(Please keep in mind the following advice may not necessarily be compatible with watching UK TV in all circumstances. This is just my generic advice on streaming boxes). I usually recommend a combination of a Chromecast and a streaming box such as a Roku for complete coverage of most services. A Chromecast is $40 and a Roku is about $100, so not a large investment. Of course, this can wildly vary (some smart TVs have all the streaming services you desire for example) and I usually say start with the cheaper Chromecast and add a Roku later when you feel you want to watch something on it (don't feel like you have to buy both immediately.

Having said that, I find that using Plex for my home media and for iPlayer+Unblock.us on a laptop I keep running all the time, and Rasplex on a Raspberry Pi, gets the most use (probably because it's connected to the main telly). It's hardly "off the shelf" though.

Last edited by hpka; Oct 5th 2014 at 4:19 pm. Reason: Added extra bits about when to buy
Old Oct 5th 2014, 4:54 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hpka

(Please keep in mind the following advice may not necessarily be compatible with watching UK TV in all circumstances. This is just my generic advice on streaming boxes). I usually recommend a combination of a Chromecast and a streaming box such as a Roku for complete coverage of most services. A Chromecast is $40 and a Roku is about $100, so not a large investment. Of course, this can wildly vary (some smart TVs have all the streaming services you desire for example) and I usually say start with the cheaper Chromecast and add a Roku later when you feel you want to watch something on it (don't feel like you have to buy both immediately.

Having said that, I find that using Plex for my home media and for iPlayer+Unblock.us on a laptop I keep running all the time, and Rasplex on a Raspberry Pi, gets the most use (probably because it's connected to the main telly). It's hardly "off the shelf" though.

Thanks for that. I have Unotelly and my good laptop connected to the telly. I want to stop connecting and unconnecting, the HDMI connection is getting a bit worn. I just fancied something to use when I stop getting the basic package of programmes. I only watch HGTV really and TSN/SNP and after the last bs with Shaw i want rid.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 4:54 pm
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
We use uno telly and it works great including sky go
Same here. I use my Mum and Dad's Sky Go
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:41 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I mostly agree with this, but not entirely.

You need to know that with Chromecast, you can't by default cast non-regional content. So if you are in Canada, Chromecast can only play content from Canadian Netflix. Even if you have unotelly or unblock-us set up.

The reason is that unotelly and unblock-us are DNS spoofing services, not VPN services. They don't actually re-route your traffic like a VPN does, which is why they are faster. Instead they just spoof the location request by getting it from a specific DNS server instead of the website's default DNS server.

Chromecast, though, breaks the rule. Chromecast is programmed to bypass whatever DNS setup you have, including unotelly and unblock-us, and will ALWAYS ping back to Google's DNS servers to do a location check. So if you have Netflix up on your iPad, and you open up Frasier (which is on US Netflix but not on CA Netflix) and hit Cast, Chromecast will give you an error that says the video is not available. You'll get the same error with iPlayer.

There is a workaround to this, which I have posted elsewhere and use in my house just fine with Netflix and iPlayer. I can provide if anyone wants it. It does involve a bit of technological confidence, but the instructions are very easy to follow if you are up for it.

WE also have a Roku, which I like very much. The only thing I"ll say about Roku is that you can only set it to one country. So when we got ours, we registered a US address (there are again workarounds to get a US address even with a Canadian credit card - we did it)... so we have access to the US suite of apps like Hulu and Pandora, but we do NOT have access to the UK suite, so no iPlayer for us. We figured since we have Chromecast, we can just use iPlayer on that, and then will get the rest of the US Suite through Roku.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 2:26 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There are plenty of EPL and Champions League games on the regular Canadian Sports channels: TSN and SportsNet. Some of the channels are included in regular cable packages but in my area you have to pay extra for the channel that shows one of the Sunday games.
This

Also no 3pm TV black out in Canada
Old Oct 6th 2014, 2:26 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Workarounds etc
I'm yet to find a set top box/streaming stick that really works for location spoofing streaming... almost as if they hadn't thought of it when making them.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 2:37 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm yet to find a set top box/streaming stick that really works for location spoofing streaming... almost as if they hadn't thought of it when making them.
I don't think there are any that just work, since, well, they aren't supposed to.

The easiest setup I've found is one of the DNS services (unotelly and unblock-us are the leaders), Chromecast, and DD-WRT on the router to re-route the Google DNS requests.

I won't lie, it is a bit of effort to get it set up, but these things aren't supposed to be very simple.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 2:40 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

The easiest set up I found for on tap HD footy and a PVR was to give rogers $90 a month
Old Oct 6th 2014, 2:44 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by magnumpi
The easiest set up I found for on tap HD footy and a PVR was to give rogers $90 a month
LOL. Yes, that works too. :P
Old Oct 7th 2014, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

I use ProxyPlayer but I use it mostly on my Smartphone