Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Travel Insurance for 1yr visitor (with health issues)

UK Travel Insurance for 1yr visitor (with health issues)

Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

andy__Bee is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK Travel Insurance for 1yr visitor (with health issues)

Long story, but

My parents live in the UK. My father had a heart attack and had some stems but in a couple of months ago. Doctors are pleased with his progress and he has not had any pain since. He is on some tables for high blood pressure, but the blood pressure has been excellent since the heart attack.

The plan is for them to come out to Canada on a Visitors Visa, November, December this year and stay for 6-12 months, assuming their visitor visa can be extended (which has been done before). They are currently in the long line up for Sponsored parents (submitted end of 07, so still some time to wait ) so we’ve gone through this visa issue before.

The problem seems to be getting Travel Insurance which will accept his previous heart condition AND insurance which would last the year for one trip.

I note, searching around on their behalf many Annual Travel Insurance policys are actually for small trips of 60-90 odd days. This was news to me!

We also looked at getting some health insurance here in Canada. One day we go into the broker and they say he needs to be 6months clear. Week or so later, back to the same office and they say thats not the case...

Any advise? Any travel insurance companies you can recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: UK Travel Insurance for 1yr visitor (with health issues)

Originally Posted by andy__Bee View Post
Long story, but

My parents live in the UK. My father had a heart attack and had some stems but in a couple of months ago. Doctors are pleased with his progress and he has not had any pain since. He is on some tables for high blood pressure, but the blood pressure has been excellent since the heart attack.

The plan is for them to come out to Canada on a Visitors Visa, November, December this year and stay for 6-12 months, assuming their visitor visa can be extended (which has been done before). They are currently in the long line up for Sponsored parents (submitted end of 07, so still some time to wait ) so we’ve gone through this visa issue before.

The problem seems to be getting Travel Insurance which will accept his previous heart condition AND insurance which would last the year for one trip.

I note, searching around on their behalf many Annual Travel Insurance policys are actually for small trips of 60-90 odd days. This was news to me!

We also looked at getting some health insurance here in Canada. One day we go into the broker and they say he needs to be 6months clear. Week or so later, back to the same office and they say thats not the case...

Thanks in advance.
He would need to be 6-months stable - no changes in his medications and no changes in his condition to be considered insurable. In regards to the insurance I sell at my work.

Contact a canadian travel agency they may be the best option to help you., Most travel agents sell a type of insurance, and some have inbound insurance for those visiting Canada. RBC insurance has a policy and it can vary from 2-ish dollars a day up to almost 20.00 a day. My husband found getting his insurance in the UK much cheaper - i think they tend to charge a premium for anyone who doesn't hold a health card in Canada. So, really, I would contact A uk travel agent. They should be able to help you out.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

cool thanks. The insurance you sell is in Canada? or the UK?
Old Aug 10th 2011, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road

cool thanks. The insurance you sell is in Canada? or the UK?
Here - take a look at this if you are really interested in within canada insurace.

http://www.rbcinsurance.com/travelin...ada-plans.html
Old Aug 10th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Long story, but

Thanks in advance.
Can I ask how old your father is?
Old Aug 10th 2011, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

He is 65.

We found some insurance last night in Canada which only requires 120 days Stability....so thats a good sign. Just have to make sure he stays stable now and see what options are available from the UK

Anyone with any other advice, feel free to add, Rules and Regs today might not be the same in a month or so.

andy
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Care to share which provider, need to get insurance for my mum who wants to come over in September who had a hip operation in March.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

sure, dont have it to hand, but I think its called Travel Underwrite​rs Platinum Visitors Insurance
Old Aug 16th 2011, 10:27 am
Banned

RyanD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

You can try http://www.globelink.co.uk/. They cover for many pre-existing medical conditions
Old Aug 17th 2011, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Hi

You can try http://www.globelink.co.uk/. They cover for many pre-existing medical conditions
Just tried Globelink for my 83 year old mother, it's brilliant, thanks for that