Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Tax affairs, tying up

UK Tax affairs, tying up

Old May 1st 2009, 8:49 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Question UK Tax affairs, tying up

Hi all,

I have form P85 from HM Revenue, which I understand we need to complete just as we leave and enclose our P45 etc.

Following the above form being completed and bearing in mind we are only about 2 mths into the current tax year, does anyone know if we are likely to get any money back

Has anyone ever received a rebate after moving to Canada? They request bank details on the form, so I assume they have the ability to make a payment, but knowing that things like this never go our way, just thought I would ask the question and see if anyone can share their experience of this, good or bad

Thanks

P.s , dont get me started on the fact that no one talks to each other, I have 3 separate areas to notify, PAYE, Child Benefit and Tax Credits, not just one call:curse::curse:
Old May 1st 2009, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Tax affairs, tying up

If you are an employee, you will certainly be due a tax refund as you are entitled to the full year tax allowance but any PAYE scheme you have been paid under will have only given you one month's allowance so far.

I am not sure when you will get it though, I don't think I got mine until the end of the tax year, but I think that was due to my being slow with my paperwork rather than anything else. I was also earning UK bank interest which was still taxable in UK, so I think I just waited until the end of the year.
Old May 1st 2009, 9:05 am

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If you are an employee, you will certainly be due a tax refund as you are entitled to the full year tax allowance but any PAYE scheme you have been paid under will have only given you one month's allowance so far.

I am not sure when you will get it though, I don't think I got mine until the end of the tax year, but I think that was due to my being slow with my paperwork rather than anything else. I was also earning UK bank interest which was still taxable in UK, so I think I just waited until the end of the year.
Thanks, we are both employees, so fingers x may get something

Hopefully sooner rather than later, but I bet it will be end of this tax year????, hopefully somebody may be able to advise??
Old May 1st 2009, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Hopefully sooner rather than later, but I bet it will be end of this tax year????, hopefully somebody may be able to advise??
I left after about four months of the tax year and eventually got about 1500 quid refunded, though it was worth a lot less in Canadian money when I got it than when I paid it! They asked for a tax return as well, which meant it took about a year as I had to wait for UK savings interest tax statements and the like, and then wait for them to process the tax return.
Old May 1st 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

I submitted my P85 around Christmas time and they told me as I'd worked during the tax year I would have to wait until April 09 and then submit a tax return detailing the amounts I'd earned in Canada until that time, THEN they'll decide whether I'm owed any money back...which to me means no we're not going to give you any money we're going to ask you for some.

I hate dual tax stuff.
Old May 1st 2009, 2:33 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

We left the UK at the end of May 2006 - I submitted my P85 around December 2006. I spoke to someone at the Inland Revenue helpdesk and they confirmed that they did not want me to submit a tax return - just the P85 - and that I would get my refund at the end of the tax year (probably just in case I returned to the UK). That happened promptly in May 2007 and was almost the total amount of tax I had paid in April and May 2006.

I was working in Canada from September 2006 and paying taxes to CRA which, I was told (by Inland Revenue), did not affect my earnings or refund from UK.

HTH - J
Old May 1st 2009, 3:35 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me, I should really send ours in. We've been out of the UK for over a year now!
Old May 1st 2009, 5:09 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

We posted ours from the uk, just as we left (they have a box for it there )
We left in september, got our refund to our canadian address in november via cheque........

I owned my own business, but OH worked for someone so his was straight forward.
Only after i got made at them did they close my file down for the business and accept that i had filled the forms out and closed the business.
Strange how they was writing to me in canada, but there records showed me in the uk.....ahhhhhhhhh that was a tough one to sort out.
I had my child benefits etc paid into a seperate account, so once the final payment went in, i just closed down the account, that way they didnt over pay me and then i had to pay it back later.

Just make sure they have your forwarding address or forward your mail from the uk, not hard to do
Old May 1st 2009, 5:56 pm

Thanks everyone for all the replies, I will get the forms sent off as we leave and will wait and see, hopefully we may get a nice surprise at some point