Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK table lamps in Canada

UK table lamps in Canada

Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Raymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud of
Default UK table lamps in Canada

I have a few table lamps from the UK that have screw type fittings, is it safe just to replace the plug and change the bulb to use them in Canada?

R
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future
Default Re: UK table lamps in Canada

Originally Posted by Raymate
I have a few table lamps from the UK that have screw type fittings, is it safe just to replace the plug and change the bulb to use them in Canada?

R
Can´t say for sure I´m not an expert but I wouldn´t think so not unless it is dual voltage have a look see what it says on it. If it doesn´t say 110V - 240V I wouldn´t bother it will be very dull as it will only be getting half the volts it needs.

I took my hair straightners over that werent dual voltage and they barely got hot.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

ali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant future

what about beds in canada. Are they the same size as in Britain. Will fitted sheets fit or do I need new for them.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali-simon
what about beds in canada. Are they the same size as in Britain. Will fitted sheets fit or do I need new for them.
Bed sizes are a bit different. I think all this stuff is in the Wiki but it's not working at the minute. In the meantime this might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_(fu...Standard_sizes

(For example my Canadian King Size bed is bigger than a UK super King Size so I won't be taking it when I move back next month.)
Old Jun 15th 2008, 8:35 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali-simon
There is a BE Wiki article about beds, but the Wiki is not accessible right now.

The short answer is that British bed sizes are similar to North American bed sizes, but are off by a couple of inches.

Wikipedia (in this instance the original Wikipedia, not the BE Wiki) has a chart that shows bed sizes. Scroll down the screen till you get to Standard Sizes. Oh, I see this is the link that Elaine gave you.

A British king sized bed is the same width as, but a couple of inches shorter than, a North American queen sized bed. So North American queen sized sheets are a couple of inches longer. But slightly larger bedding can be made to work. You can buy inexpensive clips that tighten the corners of fitted sheets.

But Elaine's situation is the reverse of this, so it's not going to work for her.

Members of this forum repeatedly say that the selection of bed linen in Canada is nothing like its counterpart in the UK. They often say this is merchandise that is worth stocking up before departure from the UK. Some members even buy bed linen when they're on holiday in the UK and bring it back to Canada in their suitcases (although obviously there's a limit to how much you can fit into a suitcase).

If you'll be living in a Canadian city that has a branch of IKEA, that is a source of decent quality, fairly priced bed linen.

Under normal circumstances, used mattresses that are imported into Canada have to be fumigated. But there is an exception for new settlers who are importing their personal effects into Canada. There's a BE Wiki article about that too. We've had a couple of instances in which new, inexperienced customs officers have told members of this forum that their used mattresses wouldn't be allowed into Canada. But I personally phoned Canada Border Services Agency last week, and had it confirmed for me that used mattresses belonging to new settlers are allowed into Canada, and they do not have to be fumigated.

Good quality furniture is expensive in Canada. In most instances I would consider it to be worth you while to ship your UK beds to Canada, all the more so if they are of good quality.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Raymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud of

Hold on what about my lamps

Can I just take the UK bulb out and out in a Canadian bulb then change the plug.

It's only a simple circuit after all..
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:39 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I just take the UK bulb out and out in a Canadian bulb then change the plug.

But UK lamp bulbs are bayonet mount and Canadian bulbs are screw threads.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

Unless you have speaker cable in them, it will be fine, you do increase the amps with the lower voltage but I am sure the margins are more than adequate.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
But UK lamp bulbs are bayonet mount and Canadian bulbs are screw threads.
I think the OP said his lamps were screw in.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 10:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

R

No problem at all if they are screw type. Some base sizes for European bulbs (as opposed to the UK) are different from north american, but you can find the e-base bulbs in speciality lighting stores and even in stores like Home Depot.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

ex_REME is an unknown quantity at this point

R
Hi Raymate

We brought ours from the UK and I rewired them with Canadian wire, light fitting and plug without too much trouble. Took me a while (ie many trips ...) to find the right kind of fitting, but eventually I was forced to scour the aisles of Canadian Tire just once more to get them off the 'honey do' list!!!! Naturally I needed a whole new workbench, set of highly specific electrical tools, soldering (or should that be "sodering" as they say locally) iron etc etc. (teh heh any excuse to vis my fav shopping chain).

I say bring them, try a new bulb and take it from there.

Ex
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I think the OP said his lamps were screw in.
Right you are.

R.T.F.T. for me.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Right you are.

R.T.F.T. for me.
For some reason the word "screw" caught my attention
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

ex_REME is an unknown quantity at this point

R
Hi Raymate

We brought ours from the UK and I rewired them with Canadian wire, light fitting and plug without too much trouble. Took me a while (ie many trips ...) to find the right kind of fitting, but eventually I was forced to scour the aisles of Canadian Tire just once more to get them off the 'honey do' list!!!! Naturally I needed a whole new workbench, set of highly specific electrical tools, soldering (or should that be "sodering" as they say locally) iron etc etc. (teh heh any excuse to vis my fav shopping chain).

Ex
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_REME
Hi Raymate

Ex

Actually, British wire is just as good as Canadian.

The lamp itself is what matters, 110V rather than 240V. Change the plug to a Canadian plug and it will work fine.

Where the fitting is a bayonet type (normal standard back home) you would have to exchange for edison screw type. We still have a few that we haven't changed simply as we cannot get the same base section to fit the lamp holder to the lamp stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.