Reload this Page >

UK State Pension recoverable?

UK State Pension recoverable?

Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Coops999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK State Pension recoverable?

hello,

I moved to Canada from England when I was 30 wasnt planned came here met a girl got married went home sold my stuff came back got my landed and never went back except when my mum passed. I guess I paid into state pension till I was 30 and left. I didn't notify anyone in uk I didn't fill out that form your supposed to fill out when you leave either. Guess I missed the small print. My question is what happens to your State pension ? will I be able to access it at some point while in canada or is it lost. I mean I did pay in to it up to when I left so any info/advice would be apreciated I'm currently 50 years old.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 8:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK State Pension recoverable?

Originally Posted by Coops999
hello,

I moved to Canada from England when I was 30 wasnt planned came here met a girl got married went home sold my stuff came back got my landed and never went back except when my mum passed. I guess I paid into state pension till I was 30 and left. I didn't notify anyone in uk I didn't fill out that form your supposed to fill out when you leave either. Guess I missed the small print. My question is what happens to your State pension ? will I be able to access it at some point while in canada or is it lost. I mean I did pay in to it up to when I left so any info/advice would be apreciated I'm currently 50 years old.
It will depend on your contributions. You can certainly claim it from Canada if you've paid in enough years towards it, and it would also be a very good idea to see if you can top up those years to give you a full pension.

You can check your NI record here to see what you may be eligible for and how many years you can top it up - https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

HTH.

Edit: just spotted your previous thread, not sure if you saw the responses to that and looked up your record back then? Left UK without notification

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 17th 2020 at 8:38 am.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 10:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like, ball park you probably have about 10 years of contributions, with a full pension coming from 35 years of contributions, so that is your goal. You should be able to pay 6 years of arrears, and you should apply to do so using Class 2 contributions, which are as cheap as chips - about £145/yr. Then you can continue paying annually until you retire, so say another 17 years.

So if you have 10 years contributions already, add another 6 of arrears to get to 16, then pay for the next 17 years, that would give you 33 years, so very close to a full pension.

And depending on what you did when you first left school, the 10 you already have might be 12, or even 14, so It is possible that you can get enough contributions for a full pension.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa;12897887
You can check your NI record here to see what you may be eligible for and how many years you can top it up - [url
https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record[/url]

/
Does not appear to work. Security section requires a UK address.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 12:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
*** Online form to obtain contribution record - no registration required (I have just submitted it to check) .: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/short...rm/NIStatement
If you are currently resident outside the UK, please provide the date you left the UK.
Postcode (if abroad you may enter NONE):
https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions
https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-if-you-go-abroad

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 18th 2020 at 3:37 pm. Reason: updated form information
Old Aug 18th 2020, 8:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think it did, but it also has a phone number you can request the statement by if you can't do it online, and an address to write to if you want to do it the really old fashioned way!

HTH.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 10:33 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I didn't think it did, but it also has a phone number you can request the statement by if you can't do it online, and an address to write to if you want to do it the really old fashioned way!

HTH.
Spouse called the International Pensions team from Oz about 7 years ago and after giving some basic info such as name, last UK address and NI number, they sent him his pension forecast. I've read on the MBTTUK forum that the process is easier now, I'm sure someone reported quite recently that they were given their forecast over the phone. I'd want the written response though, as the International Pensions people work out the amount you can back pay and what you need to pay going forward in order to maximize your basic State pension.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 11:36 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can use your UK passport as verification.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Pay the Class 2 and as many arrears as you can. As is often the case I agree with Pulaski here ! Class 2 NI Contributions are a BARGAIN !

Last edited by scot47; Aug 18th 2020 at 12:33 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 1:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember registering my account using a previous UK address.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to register using my passport instead of a UK address