Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK State Pension application - residence

UK State Pension application - residence

Old Mar 10th 2017, 11:28 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK State Pension application - residence

Nun @ post #54

let me add to your post

I phoned my sister that lives in OZ who along with her OH get the UK state pension which isn't indexed.

A couple of years ago she & her Brit husband went back to the UK for a long stay that turned out to be six months. It was a reccie to see 'should they stay, give it a go, or make it a long holiday... all up in the air at the time

Shortly after their arrival they went to the job centre to explain they were back in the UK, with a UK address, rental agreement, cell phone number, utility statement to find out what they needed to do to get their state pensions paid to their UK bank & UK address.

Note the change of circumstances

The folks at the job centre then provided them with a direct contact to the DWP, that turned out to be a 'yes, it can be done', details taken over the phone.

The DWP sent a letter separately to each of them to their new rental address in the UK, confirming the new rate & that the pensions would be sent to their UK bank account.

The letter also stated "please inform the DWP of any changes in circumstances"

The letter in hand, they then applied for their concessionary travel pass, registered with the doctor, all in their name at the UK rental address.

On leaving the UK 6 months later to return to OZ, they informed the DWP of the change of circumstances

Back in OZ the old/previous state pension rate lower amount was reinstated, state pension deposited to their OZ bank along with a confirming letter to their OZ address

Last edited by not2old; Mar 10th 2017 at 11:34 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Clearly you have a different meaning to the word 'reside' from that in the dictionary or that published by the US government.
I don't need you to explain my meaning of residence...
res·i·dence1
/ˈrez(ə)dəns/
noun
a person's home; the place where someone lives.
synonyms: home, house, place of residence, address, quarters, lodgings; More
Powered by OxfordDictionaries · © Oxford University Press

I owned my house in USA, paid all taxes and municipal rates, was a member of the home owner's association, remodeled both bathrooms, created a loft and landscaped the back yard.....and lived there for ten years only driving, or flying, north when it became warm enough for my bones to accept.
I understand the US Gov't was very happy that I resided there and contributed to the economy....
Old Mar 11th 2017, 2:43 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
I don't need you to explain my meaning of residence...
res·i·dence1
/ˈrez(ə)dəns/
noun
a person's home; the place where someone lives.
synonyms: home, house, place of residence, address, quarters, lodgings; More
Powered by OxfordDictionaries · © Oxford University Press
The dictionary is not necessarily the right place to go for a definition of "residence" in these circumstances and of course you've already stated that your permanent residence was and is Canada. I assume you pay Canadian tax on your income and UK pension.

Anyway I hope to have an answer from DWP with their definition of residence.

Last edited by nun; Mar 11th 2017 at 2:49 am.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
The dictionary is not necessarily the right place to go for a definition of "residence" in these circumstances and of course you've already stated that your permanent residence was and is Canada. I assume you pay Canadian tax on your income and UK pension.

Anyway I hope to have an answer from DWP with their definition of residence.
Your comment highlighted should be addressed to Christmasoomp...he/she is the one who suggested looking up the dictionary.
I currently file for tax in Canada, UK, Indonesia and previously, when I resided there, in USA using an ITIN.
Where do you pay taxes on your income?

Please advise your response from wherever you requested and...did you also ask what it means by 'agreements' to deny index-linking to their NI contributor pensioners living in Australia and Canada but allow to those residing in Manila.

Last edited by Davita; Mar 11th 2017 at 3:09 am.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 11:44 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

where is your home, your country of residence ... only you know the answer

Canadian citizens or landed PR's going to the states via air & returning the same way will generally fill out a landing card or customs declaration form

Going into the US by air

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...claration-form

Returning back to Canada

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...s/e311-eng.pdf

By road,

- at the US border gate the traveller will hand over their passport to the CBP

Q&A time

Morning folks...

- Citizenship
- where are you going to today
- purpose of your trip to the US
- how long will you be in the US
- What are you bringing in

Returning back into Canada by road,

- at the Canadian border gate the traveller will hand over their passport to the CBSA agent

Q&A

- where do you live
- when did you leave Canada
- what was the purpose of your trip to the US
- are you bring back any purchases/what is their value
Old Mar 11th 2017, 12:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
The answer according to your own definition but that's not necessarily the same as those to whom one is giving the answers.

Try answering "wherever I lay my hat, that's my home" and see where it gets you.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 12:38 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
Your comment highlighted should be addressed to Christmasoomp...he/she is the one who suggested looking up the dictionary.
I currently file for tax in Canada, UK, Indonesia and previously, when I resided there, in USA using an ITIN.
Where do you pay taxes on your income?

Please advise your response from wherever you requested and...did you also ask what it means by 'agreements' to deny index-linking to their NI contributor pensioners living in Australia and Canada but allow to those residing in Manila.
So you have a US ITIN...those are for non-resident aliens not eligible for a SSN.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 12:47 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Residence and domicile are legal concepts and often people don't know or understand their status and how it relates to international tax and financial circumstances.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
So you have a US ITIN...those are for non-resident aliens not eligible for a SSN.
I know what it is ...I have one...do you?
Stop your preaching as if you are the only one who can interpret from wiki or elsewhere...we're all aware of the laws that affect us.

You sound like a child who has just been given a new toy and wants to show off.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 1:28 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Why don't we stop the personal attacks towards Davita or turning it into a 'what Davita did', and to get back to the OP.

Davita, I apologize for going down the road [deep & dirty] with this, together with any of the accusations, as well as any personal attack that I may have made towards you.

I shall now step away from this after this post.

The question was simple, it was never about tax resident, the ITIN, a green card or US citizenship.

Simple - the residence question informing the DWP.

The OP responded that he was satisfied with the response that he saw posted by Davita.

nun, when you get the response from the DWP, do come back & post it

Originally Posted by aldavidson
We own property in Canada and in USA. We are retired and spend around 6 months of the year in each country. Now approaching UK State Pension age I’m getting organized to send in my application for payment.

The very strange discriminatory UK policy on annual uprating means that USA applicants receive annual uprating, but Canada residents do not, so obviously it would be advantageous to apply to my UK State pension as a USA resident. The application form I have (IPC BR1) does not mention that anything needs to be provided as proof of residence. Just need to give my “permanent address”. We have one in each country.

Has anyone in a similar position applying for a UK State pension from USA been asked to provide proof of US residence? If so what document(s) were requested and which were provided and accepted?

Last edited by not2old; Mar 11th 2017 at 2:02 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks not2old...I agree with you and I'll also step-away from this thread.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 1:40 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

The questions was simple, it was never about tax resident, the ITIN, a green card or US citizenship.

Simple - the residence question informing the DWP.

The OP responded that he was satisfied with the response that he saw posted by Davita.

nun, when you get the response from the DWP, do come back & post it

Tax residency, substantial presence, visa, intention etc could all be factors in DWP determining residency and "permanent address".....so they are all relevant to the OP's question. I think many of the posts have taken issue with using a current address as a "permanent address" without considering other factors and the "al a carte" attitude to residency. The inequitable pension indexing policy of the UK should not be a factor in determining your "permanent address".

I will post any response I get from DWP.

Last edited by nun; Mar 11th 2017 at 2:45 pm.