Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK State Pension application - residence

UK State Pension application - residence

Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK State Pension application - residence

Originally Posted by nun
Someone's intentions are often critical in determining residency, but it is not the only factor and someone does not become resident somewhere by simply living there for an extended period. I will ask HMRC whether "permanent address" equates to "country of residence".
While you're at it can you also ask why they discriminate between countries, and also explain what is meant by 'agreements', 'coz no-one seems to understand the logic.
.https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-state-pension

Last edited by Davita; Mar 9th 2017 at 4:32 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:01 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
While you're at it can you also ask why they discriminate between countries, and also explain what is meant by 'agreements', 'coz no-one seems to understand the logic.
.https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-state-pension
The freezing of pensions is an injustice that arises out of colonial history and the lack of pension indexing being included in a particular reciprocal SS agreements. It's disappointing that "thawing" pensions was not included in the recent pension reform, but there are pressure groups both inside and outside Parliament that will be glad to get a letter or email with your experience and opinion.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=nun;12201199]The freezing of pensions is an injustice that arises out of colonial history and the lack of pension indexing being included in a particular reciprocal SS agreements. It's disappointing that "thawing" pensions was not included in the recent pension reform, but there are pressure groups both inside and outside Parliament that will be glad to get a letter or email with your experience and opinion.[/QUOTE]

I belong to an organisation that continuously fights for this...so far we got no-where. I just hoped...seeing as you were going to get in touch with HMRC to verify some terminology...you could help.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 9:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Bristol @ post#44

I'm gobsmacked you posted that, I really am
I'm not sure why. How so?
Old Mar 10th 2017, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Having been accused of fraud on this thread by saying I resided in the USA for a few years, because I actually lived there, I'm amused to copy the following from another thread...PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Shameless family that proves we were right to vote Brexit� | Daily Mail Online
Old Mar 10th 2017, 6:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Having been accused of fraud on this thread by saying I resided in the USA for a few years, because I actually lived there, I'm amused to copy the following from another thread...PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Shameless family that proves we were right to vote Brexit� | Daily Mail Online
Quoting a Daily Mail article to prove your point isn't going to help, it's a laughing stock for most on the forum. If it's from the 'Daily Fail' no doubt it will be utter nonsense!

Bottom line - you were only on visitor status in the US and did not have resident status there, yet claimed you did to the DWP so you could receive an uplifted pension. You can call that 'not kosher' if you want, but then don't get upset when people don't agree with what you did and call it something else. It's a public forum, and as said above, people can say whatever they wish as long as it doesn't break Site Rules. Opinions are very welcome on BE, and not everybody will agree with them, but that's the beauty of the forum.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Quoting a Daily Mail article to prove your point isn't going to help, it's a laughing stock for most on the forum. If it's from the 'Daily Fail' no doubt it will be utter nonsense!

Bottom line - you were only on visitor status in the US and did not have resident status there, yet claimed you did to the DWP so you could receive an uplifted pension. You can call that 'not kosher' if you want, but then don't get upset when people don't agree with what you did and call it something else. It's a public forum, and as said above, people can say whatever they wish as long as it doesn't break Site Rules. Opinions are very welcome on BE, and not everybody will agree with them, but that's the beauty of the forum.
I never quoted to 'prove my point'...can't you read...I said "I'm amused to copy." I never read the Daily Mail either....I just copied from another thread on this forum as it more or less confirmed what Bristol had said in his post #44

I responded to 'Pensions Service UK' question of 'where do you reside?' and, as I was in USA, I gave them the address of where I was residing.
I'm aware that it might not be kosher in terms of law but that's not my problem. I didn't attempt to interpret as you, and others, seem intent on doing....I just answered the simple question honestly.
When I sold, and moved, I informed them of my new address, and subsequent moves. I had a letter from them just recently to ask for verification I was still alive.

My response to the OP reflected that I was never asked any more questions about my time in the USA.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 8:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I never quoted to 'prove my point'...can't you read...I said "I'm amused to copy." I never read the Daily Mail either....I just copied from another thread on this forum as it more or less confirmed what Bristol had said in his post #44

I responded to 'Pensions Service UK' question of 'where do you reside?' and, as I was in USA, I gave them the address of where I was residing.
I'm aware that it might not be kosher in terms of law but that's not my problem. I didn't attempt to interpret as you, and others, seem intent on doing....I just answered the simple question honestly.
When I sold, and moved, I informed them of my new address, and subsequent moves. I had a letter from them just recently to ask for verification I was still alive.

My response to the OP reflected that I was never asked any more questions about my time in the USA.
Clearly you have a different meaning to the word 'reside' from that in the dictionary or that published by the US government. I'm going to be 'residing' in Italy this summer then, I'm holidaying there so that makes it my country of residence right?

I've now actually looked at the article above, and you're right, it does confirm what Bristol has said 'Each to his own, but if one is going to manipulate the rules like that, it might be better not to make moral judgements about other people who similarly 'play the system' (but a different one) for their own ends.' Both you and they have played the system, but at least what they've done is in line with the law and they've not claimed anything they're not entitled to.

I'm sure you can understand what I might not be terribly approving of what you've done, given I'm a UK taxpayer.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 12:44 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

The UK Pensions service is a little ambiguous with its wording here and Davita might be being deliberately obtuse. Not being "kosher" wrt the law is indeed Davita's problem if it constitutes benefit fraud. It should be noted that the IPC-BR1 asks for "permanent address", that "reside" has legal, tax and immigration definitions and all the indicators are that Davita's permanent address is in Canada not the US or Bali.

I have asked DWP to better define "permanent address" and to explain the determining criteria. Here is my email.

Dear DWP,
Can you please define what you mean by "permanent address" in the international application form for UK state pension "IPC-BR1"

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...r1-gov-nsp.pdf

For example, if someone as homes in both the USA and Canada and spends 6 months in each place would they apply for a UK pension using their US or Canadian address? What are the factors you use to determine permanent address and residence?

Whatever the answer I don't believe that this will change much for Davita, but it might help other applicants.

Last edited by nun; Mar 10th 2017 at 1:27 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 12:45 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't attempt to interpret as you, and others, seem intent on doing....I just answered the simple question honestly.

FWIW

Davita, I think that you have more than covered what you have disclosed & to keep responding to posters that are on a 'witch hunt' is, IMO not "Kosher", just don't go there

Posters will be coming at you on this thread for what you posted 'till the cows come ', soliciting a response to keep on trying to wind you up to get another response.

What's been said is done, each and every poster that has responded has given you their opinions as well has had their dig at you.

My suggestion to you [if it was me] is to not keep on responding to the attacks of 'what you did is wrong' & to stop keep on trying to defend or justify your actions.

Whatever you do, have done as far as the UK state pension is yours & yours alone.

You do not have to explain yourself or justify your actions

In fact this thread has turned into a 'Daily Mail' fiasco

If it was me & there was another poster that said [along the lines] 'you cheated the system', to - 'committed a crime', 'benefit fraud', or 'don't you know I'm a British taxpayer & you are ripping me off'... my response would be 'naff off' or simply ignore the post(er)

Last edited by not2old; Mar 10th 2017 at 12:48 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 12:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm aware that it might not be kosher in terms of law but that's not my problem.
Saying the law isn't your problem is perhaps not the best choice of words when government forms routinely ask for true and complete information.
....I just answered the simple question honestly.
and from your other comments, knowing full well what they were getting at and what the effect of such an answer would be.

In the wide scheme of things it's not up there with MPs expenses, benefit fraud or as a chancellor of the exchequer, changing the law on UK pensions so an American finance house can come into the UK and make money from the change and then, when you're no longer chancellor, accepting £650k a year for one day a week 'consultancy' with that finance house....
Old Mar 10th 2017, 1:33 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by not2old

If it was me & there was another poster that said [along the lines] 'you cheated the system', to - 'committed a crime', 'benefit fraud', or 'don't you know I'm a British taxpayer & you are ripping me off'... my response would be 'naff off' or simply ignore the post(er)

I agree with this, restraint is often the best response. Regardless of the personal opinions expressed here I hope that we will actually get an answer from DWP about "residence" and "permanent address" that will be helpful to applicants.

Last edited by nun; Mar 10th 2017 at 1:35 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm sure you can understand what I might not be terribly approving of what you've done, given I'm a UK taxpayer.
I contributed to the UK tax and NI since I joined the RAF as an Apprentice Cadet on 5 Sept 1952 at the age of 15 years and 3 months.... and continued contributing till aged 65.
How about you?
Old Mar 10th 2017, 3:22 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I contributed to the UK tax and NI since I joined the RAF as an Apprentice Cadet on 5 Sept 1952 at the age of 15 years and 3 months.... and continued contributing till aged 65.
How about you?
none of that matters

You really want to keep this discussion going?

Sweet & simple

What matters is you telling everyone that you cheated HM Government by stating your permanent residence address was in the US allowing to you benefit to getting the indexed state pension, when in fact your centre of life was Canada.

All the BS of having another place stateside & snowbirding doesn't cut it.

You remained a Canadian resident, used the healthcare system of Canada & whatever else.

Turning a blind eye, bending (to breaking) the rules to your advantage (and many others like you that do this) is not "kosher"

From what you've posted, you most definitely cheated HM Government of an entitlement (indexed pension) that you were not suppose to have.

Last edited by not2old; Mar 10th 2017 at 3:43 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 4:27 pm
Dichotomus tinker

when one is sitting in his big old armchair sipping a cup of tea & about to drift off, there is a sudden 'awakening'

For those following this thread living in Canada, I would like to state the following

Each & every year Canadian residents file an income tax return. It's not about income tax as it relates to this thread - it's about 'residence'

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/5006-r/5006-r-16e.pdf

The box at the top of the page asks ' information about your residence' & lets for the purpose of this thread reference Davita that filled in a Canadian tax return each & every year that he was snowbirding stateside while getting the indexed UK state pension.

If the taxpayer filled in the box stating their residence as Canada, then claiming to be stateside to get the indexed state pension, they lied to HM Government & committed fraud.

-OR-

The other way round, is it possible a fraud was committed if a person collected & benefited from the Provincial healthcare system as well as any Federal or provincial benefits, if indeed place of residence at the end of each calendar year was somewhere other than Canada?

Home Owner Grant for Seniors - Province of British Columbia

Last edited by not2old; Mar 10th 2017 at 4:36 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.